What do you do for a living?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Re: What do you do for a living?

Post by DarkSilver »

Varies. Mostly depending on how much the oil company is willing to shell out, and if it's a initial "visit" where I have to set up equipment. In the times I've gone into the gulf, it's been about 50-50 between boat rides, and helicopter rides....I got some nice shots of the GoM flying back in from rigs.

I also do a lot of land drilling rigs, which means I get to drive to those locations :P
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Torben
Padawan Learner
Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida

Post by Torben »

IT Guy working for the county school district. Actually work at the high school from which I graduated.
“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Showing the current students their future? :)
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Torben
Padawan Learner
Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida

Post by Torben »

Could be worse. I'm responsible for 1600+/- student accounts, 100+/- staff and teachers, 700+/- computers, 80 something networked printers, 5 servers and probably a mile or more of wiring and fiber. Makes for a busy day :)
“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

DarkSilver wrote:Varies. Mostly depending on how much the oil company is willing to shell out, and if it's a initial "visit" where I have to set up equipment. In the times I've gone into the gulf, it's been about 50-50 between boat rides, and helicopter rides....I got some nice shots of the GoM flying back in from rigs.

I also do a lot of land drilling rigs, which means I get to drive to those locations
Lucky, I did some mudlogging in the northwest where there's nothing but trees and no off-site personnel within 150 miles.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Computer Engineering graduate student & reseach asst. Currently doing coursework in ASIC design, research tends to involve working w/ crypto on FPGAs & embedded software.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
DarkSilver wrote:Varies. Mostly depending on how much the oil company is willing to shell out, and if it's a initial "visit" where I have to set up equipment. In the times I've gone into the gulf, it's been about 50-50 between boat rides, and helicopter rides....I got some nice shots of the GoM flying back in from rigs.

I also do a lot of land drilling rigs, which means I get to drive to those locations
Lucky, I did some mudlogging in the northwest where there's nothing but trees and no off-site personnel within 150 miles.

I remember us talking about that a long time back there Chewie, when you first got that job. Think it was in the SDnet Chat.....(is that thing even still around?).

Yup, I'm still doing it, after 7 years.
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Alphawolf55
Jedi Knight

Post by Alphawolf55 »

Student at Brooklyn College and Costume Mascot for M&M World. If you see a blue or yellow M&M dancing around, that's me. It's actually a sweet gig in it's own way.
Grog
Padawan Learner

Post by Grog »

I'm a math grad student.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Alphawolf55 wrote:Student at Brooklyn College and Costume Mascot for M&M World. If you see a blue or yellow M&M dancing around, that's me. It's actually a sweet gig in it's own way.

I've always thought it'd be cool to be a mascot. But, like, at Disney World. Seems like it'd be a vacation every day. Except when it's summer time because F*ck that.
Alphawolf55
Jedi Knight

Post by Alphawolf55 »

Chardok wrote:
Alphawolf55 wrote:Student at Brooklyn College and Costume Mascot for M&M World. If you see a blue or yellow M&M dancing around, that's me. It's actually a sweet gig in it's own way.

I've always thought it'd be cool to be a mascot. But, like, at Disney World. Seems like it'd be a vacation every day. Except when it's summer time because F*ck that.
It's not really a vacation, and the suit can be heavy, also it can be kind of depressing because you can't talk and everyone refers to you as your costume. So you're not "Tim" you're 'Blue" or "Yellow" and even your coworkers call you this, so doing it for hours can get a little weird, also it's hard for your bosses to judge your work because they hardly know it's you doing it. The upsides are that everyone wants to take pictures with you, you can make kids smile (a big plus). One of the best advantages is the break system for every minute you're in the costume, you get an equal amount of break time. So if I'm in the costume for an hour, for the next year I get to go to the break room without my costume on and get paid just sitting around for an additional hour, so during that hour I can watch a movie, read a book, play video games or most importantly study for school.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Grog wrote:I'm a math grad student.
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that </fellow sufferer>
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

Super/hypersonic missiles development.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Varying assistant duties for microfluidics research with lab on chip applications.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

I write embedded software. Have a degree in Avionics, would love to use it. Kodiak and Orik, can I come and work with you? Pretty please?
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Full time (Brain Science) student, 2/3d year.
Next semester, once I have less than 41 hours a week of courses, I plan to work in a lab (For XP mainly).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Danny Bhoy
Jedi Knight

Post by Danny Bhoy »

Buy and Sell for a multinational entity. Currently AOR is in the East Asia region operating from HQ in S'pore, previously was in the ME offices and probably by mid next year in one of the (Western) Yerpeen offices.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

This thread would be great if I was a data miner :P
XXXI