Yo, I got scorpions.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Re: Yo, I got scorpions.

Post by ANGELUS »

Isolder74 wrote:Then prepare for the PETA scorpion rights division's invasion! They are the ones that sell those stupid nets for sleeping that you wear over you head to prevent the possibility of swallowing a bug while sleeping.
Didn't they once send Obama a "Fly trap" after he killed a fly during an interview? The trap was for catching them and then release them safely outside...
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

ANGELUS wrote:
Isolder74 wrote:Then prepare for the PETA scorpion rights division's invasion! They are the ones that sell those stupid nets for sleeping that you wear over you head to prevent the possibility of swallowing a bug while sleeping.
Didn't they once send Obama a "Fly trap" after he killed a fly during an interview? The trap was for catching them and then release them safely outside...
They did. You are remembering the tissy fit correctally.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

spartasman wrote:Get a BIGGER scorpion to fight the rest to the death?

Travel to the land of the Scorpion King, and there doth challenge him?
Why not do both? First you must find a way to escape your besieged citadel, DIY greek fire weapons have been suggested and they are indeed my preferred method, fight your way out! Travel to the 'Ye Olde Pet Shoppe' there you shalt hire a brave warrior to enslave the Emperor Scorpion into your services. From here you must return to your slowly falling fortress with their Emperor in tow. Once you have reached your castle you shalt force the Emperor to do battle with his subjects and kill them all!

Look at him cower within your grasp! Surely none of his people would dare try to infiltrate your keep after this!

PS: If you play D&D you could use them against your group. Suddenly, MONSTROUS SCORPIONS! MONSTROUS SCORPIONS EVERYWHERE!
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

What is it with you North Americans and critters? I know a Canadian who's over here, and he was going on about huntsman spiders in his house :lol: Look, if it can't kill you, then it's not poisonous, it's just a sting.
We only have two poisonous spiders in Australia, and the redback only just qualifies. One or two snakes, though.

And aligators are pussies. Salties are where it's at.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Thanas wrote:
Questor wrote:
Sriad wrote:If you keep doing this long enough you'll end up with, say, a single alligator which can be easily removed.
That really depends on how big and how mean said alligator is.
Yeah, unless Chardok is a gun owner I would not disturb one.

Just taking a stroll.....

SNACKTIME.
Gator removal is not a problem, I know this guy who will CHOOT 'EM for Chardok:

Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I hope that guy gets eaten.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

Korto wrote: We only have two poisonous spiders in Australia, and the redback only just qualifies. One or two snakes, though.
Are you shitting me? Not only do you have "some" poisonous spiders in Australia you have the highest concentration of poisonous animals in the world not the least of which are eight of the ten most deadly spiders in the world. A list of fauna from Australia reads like the "who's who" of interesting ways to die, not the least embarrassing of which is platypus venom.

http://www.avru.org/compendium/biogs/A000152b.htm
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

To correct your mental typo, that's
eight of the ten most deadly snakes in the world.
Yeah, like I said, we've got one or two snakes. OK, maybe more than one or two. Found a taipan in my spare room once. Just a baby. Picked it up with thick winter motorcycle gauntlets, because I'm not an idiot.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Todeswind wrote:
Korto wrote: We only have two poisonous spiders in Australia, and the redback only just qualifies. One or two snakes, though.
Are you shitting me? Not only do you have "some" poisonous spiders in Australia you have the highest concentration of poisonous animals in the world not the least of which are eight of the ten most deadly spiders in the world. A list of fauna from Australia reads like the "who's who" of interesting ways to die, not the least embarrassing of which is platypus venom.

http://www.avru.org/compendium/biogs/A000152b.htm
Considering that list shows "bees" I'm inclined to take your analysis with a very large grain of salt. Most of those critters exist elsewhere in the world.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Todeswind wrote:Are you shitting me? Not only do you have "some" poisonous spiders in Australia you have the highest concentration of poisonous animals in the world not the least of which are eight of the ten most deadly spiders in the world. A list of fauna from Australia reads like the "who's who" of interesting ways to die, not the least embarrassing of which is platypus venom.
In Australia, it only counts as poisonous if it kills you dead on the spot and there's no known antidote or treatment. That's what I heard from one of my Australian acquaintances after many rounds of drinks so I'm convinced it must be true.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

General Zod wrote: Considering that list shows "bees" I'm inclined to take your analysis with a very large grain of salt. Most of those critters exist elsewhere in the world.
It's the "Eight out of ten most deadly snakes in the world" thing that I linked that for.
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Post by Death from the Sea »

Thanas wrote:Get large spiders (tarantulas), more cats and/or chicken.

Do not get them together.

Or, just call an exterminator.

actually the chicken idea is a good one.

linky
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Davey
Padawan Learner

Post by Davey »

Two words: Boric Acid.

Buy a couple squeeze bottles of that and make lines around your stuff, just as if you were creating lines of sand. Boric acid effectively creates a 'do not cross' line for those things, because it destroys the chitin of their exoskeletons, but is safe enough to use around your dishes provided you don't take it internally. It irritates the crap out of them and once they go across it once they won't do it again, or they'll die. Pack it into the holes in the wall, around your skirting boards, and in the corners of your cupboards, and put it in dark, dusty places where bugs like to hide. Reapply it as you need to.

That ought to do it!
"Oh SHIT!" generally means I fucked up.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Well CHardok, let me ask you something:

Are you driven nuts by the sound of crickets at night? Because that is what will happen if you kill off the scorpions. They MIGHT sting you, but the sting wont be any worse than a bee sting with anything you have in the area. So, unless you are allergic, just leave the scorpions the fuck alone. Spraying with chemicals (Like Malathion) will only kill every other nice pleasant arthropod in your yard, like mantids, lady beetles etc.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Well, so, the exterminator came out and laid down 10 gallons of Boric acid (At least that's what I think based on the name of the product) and several....somethings.... else, and it seems to have done fuck-all to the insect population. The place crawls with pillbugs at night still, there are earwigs everywhere you look, and of course, where there are prey animals, there are predators. I've found no less than 4 more scorpions since the exterminator visit. One I sprayed directly with Raid, watching gleefully as the nerve agent took hold. then I impaled him on a bamboo skewer and set him out in the yard, where a passing grackle was later only too happy to gobble up the free meal. Hope I got his ass, too. Fucking grackles.

Anyhoo, as for crickets, I really don't care. I've a new house, so it is well insulated from outside sound, so the crickets can just drum up whatevere lovely chorus they want all day and all night. Lately, though...I've noticed a new visitor, a very....unwelcome one. While in the garage the other night assembling my grill, something smacked my neck - hard. I heard a chitin-y "kerrack!" when I grabbed the offending slapper and threw it against the wall. Upon closer observation, I discovered goddamn june bugs. Not just the one that hit my neck, but when I looked outside, there were three more crawling about under the light.

...this will be an interesting summer.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

So go get some chickens then. Plus, you might also enjoy having your own, delicious eggs each morning.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Bad idea as he lives in Texas. Dick Cheney will think those chickens are quail and accidentally shoot him with a shotgun.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Lisa
Jedi Knight

Post by Lisa »

when i saw the title i thought he was keeping them as pets and was showing off.
May you live in interesting times.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

That....is the most horrifying avatar ever, Lisa.

Well, here we are, and my war continues. yesterday as Ricky and I headed into the garage to get his bike, he stopped "Whoa!"

"What?"
"Scorpion"
"Dangit!"
"You gotta kill it, daddy!"
"Yeah, I know, but how?"
"Use your shoe!"
"I only have socks on."
"Spray it!"
"Spray is in the garage"
"I got it!"

*grabs hammer*
*Shows scorpion the true meaning of "Home Improvement"*

Fing arachnids.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

CHICKENS.
------------
------------
My LPs
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Thanas wrote:CHICKENS.

Look, Thanas, I would LOVE to have a chicken, or two! But, here in the US we have Homeowner's associations, and we have to...like, get permission from them to do crap like, buy chickens, or install tool sheds, or plant certain trees, or place the garbage can on the curb the night before trash pickup and not the morning of, or have a yard sale, or install lighting along sidewalks, or have a mailbox that looks different from the other people's in the subdivision.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Why would they refuse?
------------
------------
My LPs
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

Thanas wrote:Why would they refuse?
Homeowners associations are run like a Soviet political block. Logic is less important than unity and political status. If it's something that is even remotely capable of lowering property values then "glorious leader denies your request."
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

So they would prefer Scorpions to Chickens? :shock:

I doubt so.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Todeswind
Jedi Knight

Post by Todeswind »

LaCroix wrote:So they would prefer Scorpions to Chickens? :shock:

I doubt so.
Scorpions don't shit on your BMW.