NHL 2010-2011 Season

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Re: NHL 2010-2011 Season

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Those were great ones but I was referring to the 2003 sweep in the first round.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

I was cheering for the Caps myself when they were slaughtering the Flames 7-2 the other night.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Nothing like being in the building when the unlikely hero scores with 1.7 seconds left to break a tie, earn a huge 2 points, and deny another team in the conference a chance to move up the standings.

Way to go boys!
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Speaking of the previously mentioned $100 million man, did anyone catch the highlights of last night's Sabres/Devils shootout?

Our hero is in the fourth round of a shootout attempt, hoping to even things up and prolong the game for his team...

:lol:

J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Speaking of the previously mentioned $100 million man, did anyone catch the highlights of last night's Sabres/Devils shootout?
I missed it last night but it was on every replay on TV this morning up here in Canada...and all day long. :lol:

So not only is Kovalchuck a playoff choker, shootout choke artist is now added to his list of accomplishments. Maybe they should just leave him off the ice when important things need to get done.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Drone
Youngling

Post by Drone »

Why exactly is there such joy about this? He's a great player that's been on shitty teams for a long time. He played for a rival so I'm not exactly a fan of his, but it seems like a lot of people flat out hate him all of the sudden and it doesn't make a lot of sense.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I wouldn't call him a great player, a very skilled player but not a great player. Great players don't phone it home during the playoffs, great players can be counted on to play with more intensity and get shit done when it counts, great players will get physical and battle it out down low when the game's on the line, especially in the playoffs. Kovalchuk doesn't do any of that, he's too much of a prima donna. He's rarely around when you need a tying goal, a go ahead goal, or a rallying goal to get the team back in the game from 2 goals down. Just look at last year's playoffs, he got a bunch of points but how many of them came when the team needed them?
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Drone wrote:Why exactly is there such joy about this? He's a great player that's been on shitty teams for a long time. He played for a rival so I'm not exactly a fan of his, but it seems like a lot of people flat out hate him all of the sudden and it doesn't make a lot of sense.
It's not that I don't like Kovalchuk, I actually think he is quite good but my frustration is with the NJ Devils. Granted I am biased against them because of the 2003 finals but the contract ploy they did to land Kovalchuk was pretty skeezy, I don't like this front loaded contracts that these older players can't reasonably hope to finish. Pronger's deal in Philadelphia is the same thing but not for nearly as much cash unless i'm mistaken.

So it's not that Kovalchuk is delighting me with his failures, it just amuses me to see NJ's mega-contract bottom out on them. Same kind of delight I got from Marian Hossa losing in the finals to the Penguins in 2008/09. Nothing against him and I wanted the Blackhawks to win the following year, but it was nice seeing his old team stick it to him in the finals.

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

aerius wrote:I wouldn't call him a great player, a very skilled player but not a great player. Great players don't phone it home during the playoffs, great players can be counted on to play with more intensity and get shit done when it counts, great players will get physical and battle it out down low when the game's on the line, especially in the playoffs. Kovalchuk doesn't do any of that, he's too much of a prima donna. He's rarely around when you need a tying goal, a go ahead goal, or a rallying goal to get the team back in the game from 2 goals down. Just look at last year's playoffs, he got a bunch of points but how many of them came when the team needed them?
I don't think it's fair to argue that he phoned in the playoffs. He scored 6 points, at least three of which were scored while playing as a defenseman, and was pretty much NJ's only offensive weapon in their losing series. It's not his fault the rest of the team wasn't even competitive, or those points might have been the difference in the series. In the World Championships, he was the single reason why the Russians were playing for the championship (he scored 2-10-12 points to lead all players for the tournament for scoring, including a crucial three points against Canada, and was +8).

Don't get me wrong: Kovy is a seriously flawed player who is spectacular in some aspects of his game but very weak at others. (Also, apparently, weak in getting to team meetings on time). I haven't, though, noticed a lack of effectiveness in big games or important situations from him, and any player who can mail in a series and still put up over a point a game is a guy worth taking a look at.

The biggest problem I see with him is that he just doesn't fit into the New Jersey Devils--the team that's paying him with dump trucks full of Benjamins. I have no idea how NJ's front office looked at him and decided that he was the guy to build their franchise around, given that he's noticeably terribly at playing defense and the Devils have always prided themselves on being a tight-checking team that shuts opponents down in the neutral zone, blocks shots, steals pucks, and keeps opposing skaters away from dangerous areas. It was especially bizarre last year in the playoffs when they didn't have room for him on the top line and had to play him at defenseman just to get him on the ice on their power play unit.

The fact that he's chosen to have personality issues before the ink is even dry on the dotted lines, of course, compounds the apparent idiocy of his contract.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Master of Ossus wrote:I don't think it's fair to argue that he phoned in the playoffs. He scored 6 points, at least three of which were scored while playing as a defenseman, and was pretty much NJ's only offensive weapon in their losing series. It's not his fault the rest of the team wasn't even competitive, or those points might have been the difference in the series. In the World Championships, he was the single reason why the Russians were playing for the championship (he scored 2-10-12 points to lead all players for the tournament for scoring, including a crucial three points against Canada, and was +8).
All his points came in 2 games, one was a blowout for the Devils and I think their opponents won the other game, but I'd have to dig up the scores to be sure. For the rest of the series he was invisible and they were all pretty close games which could have gone to NJ if Kovalchuk had done something spectacular even if he didn't score. But he didn't, and they lost.

When you look at the great players such as Sakic, Yzerman, Doug Gilmour and so forth, what they all have in common is the ability to step it up and carry their teams through the playoffs. You can count on them to deliver the tying goal late in the 3rd to send the game to OT, then setup or score the OT winner, look at how many OT game winners Sakic has. Seriously, if my team was down a goal in the 3rd I'd rather put Tie Domi on the ice than Kovalchuk, at least Domi will play his ass off and fuck up a few opposing players with hard hits to rally the team and change the momentum of the game.
The biggest problem I see with him is that he just doesn't fit into the New Jersey Devils--the team that's paying him with dump trucks full of Benjamins. I have no idea how NJ's front office looked at him and decided that he was the guy to build their franchise around, given that he's noticeably terribly at playing defense and the Devils have always prided themselves on being a tight-checking team that shuts opponents down in the neutral zone, blocks shots, steals pucks, and keeps opposing skaters away from dangerous areas. It was especially bizarre last year in the playoffs when they didn't have room for him on the top line and had to play him at defenseman just to get him on the ice on their power play unit.
I can't figure that one out either, it's gotta be one of the dumbest signings of all time.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Drone
Youngling

Post by Drone »

aerius wrote:When you look at the great players such as Sakic, Yzerman, Doug Gilmour and so forth, what they all have in common is the ability to step it up and carry their teams through the playoffs. You can count on them to deliver the tying goal late in the 3rd to send the game to OT, then setup or score the OT winner, look at how many OT game winners Sakic has. Seriously, if my team was down a goal in the 3rd I'd rather put Tie Domi on the ice than Kovalchuk, at least Domi will play his ass off and fuck up a few opposing players with hard hits to rally the team and change the momentum of the game.
Sakic had Forsberg, who was better. Yzerman had Federov, who was better, maybe not a better leader, but a better player, and at least as good in the clutch. Both of the players you named were also on excellent TEAMS, something that Kovalchuk hasn't seen. Plus you're trying to compare a top 10 player right now, to top 50ish all time players, that's a litttle unfair to him isn't it? He doesn't really fit on the Devils, the contract was stupid, but how can you blame him for signing what was put in front of him?
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

The Flyers won their series four games to one.

Kovalchuk had a goal and two assists in the Devil's 5-3 victory in game two. Both of his assists came on important goals in the second period. His goal was an empty netter to seal the win.

In Game 3 he had assists on both of New Jersey's goals in a 3-2 overtime loss.

In Game 4 he scored the opening goal of the game but the Devils lost 4-1.

The Devils were shut out in Game 5. Overall in the series he was tied for team lead with assists (Patrick Elias also had 4) and other than Brian Rolston he was the only Devil to get two goals. Not fair to blame Kovalchuk for that series when the entire team was just brutalized by Philly.

J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Drone wrote:Why exactly is there such joy about this?
Because there is, and we can. Kinda like with Hossa, where he managed to end up on the losing side of the Cup finals in back to back years. It's just funny.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

BEWARE OF NHL.COM gift cards.

When giving NHL.com gift cards, be aware that the system they use is quite flawed and they do from time to time send out defective cards that will not work. Do not let this happen to your relatives.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Sometimes, you really, REALLY want to hoist the black flag and start slitting throats... :evil:

After Burns' funeral, hockey items stolen from widow's car

Takes a special breed of scumbag to steal from a fucking dead man's wife.
Heard on the radio, Montreal Police may have a line on the perp, here's hoping
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Darth Fanboy wrote:It's not that I don't like Kovalchuk, I actually think he is quite good but my frustration is with the NJ Devils. Granted I am biased against them because of the 2003 finals but the contract ploy they did to land Kovalchuk was pretty skeezy, I don't like this front loaded contracts that these older players can't reasonably hope to finish. Pronger's deal in Philadelphia is the same thing but not for nearly as much cash unless i'm mistaken.
Pronger's deal is a 35+ contract, so his cap hit remains even if he retires, unlike Kovalchuk or Savard or Hossa or Luongo. The other thing with Savard or Pronger is that they may have value at a lower level at that point - they'll be old, but their skillsets don't rely on speed, and they're two-way players. Kovalchuk is a speedy shooter with beer league defense. Once he ages, he'll probably be useless. I can understand having a year or two of "veteran leadership" pay for a guy that might actually provide that, but Kovie doesn't fit the profile for that.

That said, it's a loophole that needs to be addressed in the next CBA.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

The Dark wrote:Pronger's deal is a 35+ contract, so his cap hit remains even if he retires, unlike Kovalchuk or Savard or Hossa or Luongo. The other thing with Savard or Pronger is that they may have value at a lower level at that point - they'll be old, but their skillsets don't rely on speed, and they're two-way players. Kovalchuk is a speedy shooter with beer league defense. Once he ages, he'll probably be useless. I can understand having a year or two of "veteran leadership" pay for a guy that might actually provide that, but Kovie doesn't fit the profile for that.

Even when Edmonton picked Pronger up he was at about the peak of his career, that was five years ago. The man has played for three different teams, and helped lead each of them to the finals in his first year with that team. People wonder why there's a premium on big defensemen who can play physically, let alone fulfill a leadership role. People's dislike for him in multiple markets can't diminish that.

The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
The Dark wrote:Pronger's deal is a 35+ contract, so his cap hit remains even if he retires, unlike Kovalchuk or Savard or Hossa or Luongo. The other thing with Savard or Pronger is that they may have value at a lower level at that point - they'll be old, but their skillsets don't rely on speed, and they're two-way players. Kovalchuk is a speedy shooter with beer league defense. Once he ages, he'll probably be useless. I can understand having a year or two of "veteran leadership" pay for a guy that might actually provide that, but Kovie doesn't fit the profile for that.

Even when Edmonton picked Pronger up he was at about the peak of his career, that was five years ago. The man has played for three different teams, and helped lead each of them to the finals in his first year with that team. People wonder why there's a premium on big defensemen who can play physically, let alone fulfill a leadership role. People's dislike for him in multiple markets can't diminish that.
As a Flyers fan, my perspective on him is that he's the guy you loathe when you play against him, and love when he's on your side. One thing that will help him is that his skating stride is damn efficient - he's not the fastest guy on the ice, but I don't know if there's anyone that wastes less energy, he's just that smooth on his skates. Add in his good positioning (usually) and ability to see plays developing, and he's among the top defensemen. If he'd just take a few less stupid penalties, he'd probably be my favorite current Flyer (Giroux's #1, Bob's #2 for me).
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter ... 4&id=86946
Linus Omark's first game in the NHL, first shootout... and fucking kills it. It is beautiful to watch.
XXXI
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

The bitching over his goal is completely unwarranted.

1) He scored, get over the sour grapes
2) He scored, shouldn't have let him score
3) The supposed "hotdogging" was hardly that, creative spin moves usually get applauded, oh and he SCORED.

On the bright side, the Ducks finally decided that blowing a two goal lead was not the best way to win a game and we beat Minny tonight 6-2. All six goals were from the top line (not entirely surprising as both Koivu and Selanne were out) including Corey Perry's first ever hat trick.

But the Bobby Ryan goal was absolutely amazing because after a tangle in the corner he ended up with Miko Koivu's stick and not his own, and he ended up scoring a goal with it. Not to mention that Koivu's stick is for lefties, Bobby plays right handed.

Addendum:

Also, I'm laughing to myelf over Ovechkin losing his cool during that ass whooping the Rangers handed the Capitals. I didn't see the hip check he landed in real time so I won't comment on if it was away from the play but that fight he ended up in was really funny. He came up from behind Dubinsky (typical Ovie fashion because he doesn't like fair fights) and after taking a couple of swings he ends up not finishing nearly as strong as he started. Kind of like how the Caps are in the playoffs.

Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Darth Fanboy wrote:The bitching over his goal is completely unwarranted.

1) He scored, get over the sour grapes
2) He scored, shouldn't have let him score
3) The supposed "hotdogging" was hardly that, creative spin moves usually get applauded, oh and he SCORED.
Who's bitching about it, outside of Florida?
XXXI
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

During coverage of the Habs/Leafs game Friday night the CBC guys (was watching their feed via NHL Network in the US) seemed to be of the majority opinion (one guy disagreed) that Linus should expect to get his ass whooped if he kept up that kind of showboating.

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Darth Fanboy wrote:Addendum:

Also, I'm laughing to myelf over Ovechkin losing his cool during that ass whooping the Rangers handed the Capitals. I didn't see the hip check he landed in real time so I won't comment on if it was away from the play but that fight he ended up in was really funny. He came up from behind Dubinsky (typical Ovie fashion because he doesn't like fair fights) and after taking a couple of swings he ends up not finishing nearly as strong as he started. Kind of like how the Caps are in the playoffs.

Wow so much incorrect with this that I'm almost at a losss. ABout the only thing right is that it was an ass whooping the Caps took. Anyway Ovechkin laid out a hip check right in front of the ref so with no call I'm gonna go with clean (he came from the front landed hip on hip to the player who had just played the puck). Next Dubinskiy came after HIM not the other way around. Dubinsky came looking for the fight and Ovechkin responded, neither is a fighter both just tossed about and then Ovie dragged him down as he fell. So basically it was a fight you expect from a non-fighter (a few good swings, clasp where nobody can swing, and then everybody falls down) after a hit that was in the course of play. If you want to comment on how "dirty" Ovechkin is then watch his game don't just repeat everybody's bullshit Monday morning quarterbacking.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Caps are in dire straights now that we've traded out our only ginger ninja. Need to get Eakin into the team stat.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Darth Fanboy wrote:During coverage of the Habs/Leafs game Friday night the CBC guys (was watching their feed via NHL Network in the US) seemed to be of the majority opinion (one guy disagreed) that Linus should expect to get his ass whooped if he kept up that kind of showboating.
I'm hoping he continues to show every goalie up with that shit. That made me want to watch a game for the first time this season!
XXXI