Literary tropes that suck donkey balls

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Re: Literary tropes that suck donkey balls

Post by Jaevric »

Thanas wrote:That was pretty much commonplace among every army in the west until the advent of professional militaries. This, btw, was one of the reasons why armies of the 17th and 18th centuries seem so small to us today - they were professionals who had to be paid highly and regulated highly. The Prussian drill served as much to protect the populace from soldiers as it did to form the line of battle, as an example. As a result, such incidenced declined steadily until the Napoleonic wars, when mass armies and conscription reversed that process. The armies of Napoleon and the British quickly gained a reputation, the Prussians less so because they still preferred professionals over mass conscriptions (those pesky citizens should not have guns).
Didn't the British also recruit heavily from the "dregs" of society? I seem to recall a quote by Wellington describing the common British troops as the "scum of the earth." The officers were mostly from the better-off parts of society (since they could afford to be commissioned) but as I understand it most of the troops were either from the poor (the only people desperate enough to want to join) or criminals (given the option of joining the army or going to prison or hanging). You take a bunch of criminals, put them in a highly stressfull situation, give them weapons and minimal supervision then set them loose on the population and you can pretty much expect unpleasant things to happen.
Really, a lot of warfare is idealized and sanitarized in modern depictions. If you actually read the source documents it gets much harder. For example, I reard a letter from a mercenary applying for work in the 15th century. His list of deeds of which he freely boasted in a letter consisted of among other things raping peasant girls, killing a noblewoman who resisted and then defiling the dead body in the same way. Brutality was not considered a vice, but a virtue.
And when it's not santized, it's only the "bad guys" whose soldiers commit atrocities. The "good guys" would, of course, never condone such behavior. I've only run across a few fiction authors that actually depict the militaries associated with the protagonists plundering, raping, and burning. Of course, weren't those activities generally encouraged or at least deemed inevitable for most of history?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Jaevric wrote:Didn't the British also recruit heavily from the "dregs" of society? I seem to recall a quote by Wellington describing the common British troops as the "scum of the earth." The officers were mostly from the better-off parts of society (since they could afford to be commissioned) but as I understand it most of the troops were either from the poor (the only people desperate enough to want to join) or criminals (given the option of joining the army or going to prison or hanging). You take a bunch of criminals, put them in a highly stressfull situation, give them weapons and minimal supervision then set them loose on the population and you can pretty much expect unpleasant things to happen.
Yes, which is why I said the British gained a reputation.
And when it's not santized, it's only the "bad guys" whose soldiers commit atrocities. The "good guys" would, of course, never condone such behavior. I've only run across a few fiction authors that actually depict the militaries associated with the protagonists plundering, raping, and burning. Of course, weren't those activities generally encouraged or at least deemed inevitable for most of history?
Not encouraged per se, at least not since the end of the Middle ages. And I would also disagree with that they were deemed inevitable - I would describe them as "happening despite policies trying to prevent them".
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Jaevric wrote:
Thanas wrote:Really, a lot of warfare is idealized and sanitarized in modern depictions. If you actually read the source documents it gets much harder. For example, I reard a letter from a mercenary applying for work in the 15th century. His list of deeds of which he freely boasted in a letter consisted of among other things raping peasant girls, killing a noblewoman who resisted and then defiling the dead body in the same way. Brutality was not considered a vice, but a virtue.
The newest Ring of Fire book mentions it, when the American general actually creates a unit to be both shock troops and act as the executioners of anybody that goes overboard (IIRC, he's mostly OK with plundering, but the raping and burning is where he draws the line). I'm pretty sure Glen Cook had it in The Black Company as well, but that whole series is Gray vs. Grey morality anyway.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

loomer wrote:Didn't Jackson also end up turning into something of a sciencebadass as well? All linguistics genius one minute, busting caps the next?
Sometime between season 3-5 he started taking military training. By season 8+, Jackson might as well be multi-classing as a solider.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Xon wrote:
loomer wrote:Didn't Jackson also end up turning into something of a sciencebadass as well? All linguistics genius one minute, busting caps the next?
Sometime between season 3-5 he started taking military training. By season 8+, Jackson might as well be multi-classing as a solider.
Yeah, when he's P-90 in one hand and pistol in the other and single-handedly holding down a section of pyramid ship, then he's probably passed into bad-assery.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Jaevric wrote:And when it's not santized, it's only the "bad guys" whose soldiers commit atrocities. The "good guys" would, of course, never condone such behavior. I've only run across a few fiction authors that actually depict the militaries associated with the protagonists plundering, raping, and burning.
Hmmm. In the Belisarius alternate history series rape happened a time or two, but since Belisarius had a habit of executing rapists and (for example) having their corpses dragged in front of the marching army it wasn't a common offense. He also normally disapproved of plundering and burning, both for moral reasons and because they were a military handicap (you can't sleep in the town you just burned). His Persian allies were less restrained though.

In Sheepfarmer's Daughter the mercenary company that the protagonist is part of loots a conquered city. Still, they are a lot more civilized in other ways than real-life preindustrial mercenary armies tended to be.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Bakustra wrote:I do expect the universe to follow a simple rule, though. The problem is that there is no clear distinction between gods and other beings- it appears to be a matter of degree rather than of order. So there is no readily apparent reason why (and in fiction, we want reasons for things happening) only gods are affected by belief power. More importantly, if it's speculated at least somewhat widely to be Excalibur, (since it was held by the original Merlin and all) it should pick up some of that belief from people taking stances one way or the other. But it doesn't, and there's still the problem of how a secret artifact can be empowered by belief.
I think this is the problem.

Our universe doesn't follow a simple rule. The Dresdenverse is not written from an omniscient narrator's point of view and does not explicitly lay out the rules for Gods and Demigods 3rd Edition. The reader has absolutely no way of knowing what is empowering Supernatural Entity 12 and what makes them more powerful than Supernatural Entity 7.

This is not necessarily bad writing - there can be more going on than meets the eye, and your idea of an inconsistent cosmology by itself could just be the visible manifestation of a complex cosmology.
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Garlak wrote:"Balance of Good and Evil."

There is cause and there is effect. Action and consequence.

The idea of giant, metaphysical scales that tally up every "point" of good and evil and make sure to balance it out is... it's a disturbing concept. It pisses me off.
But this could be a quite interesting premise and great drama. Imagine the consequences of a world that was actually fucked up like that. How would people react? Would they stop trying to improve things, on the logic that there's no point? Would they selectively do good for people they deem worthy? Would they try to work out some system to distribute the good and bad in some way that minimizes suffering as much as their maltheist shit cosmos allows? Would some altruistic souls try to live in as much suffering as possible on the logic that this will free up good fortune for others? Would people try to inflict as much suffering on slaves or enemies as possible, to free up good fortune for themselves? Would they try to fix the universe itself? I could imagine different groups doing all of those things, and then think of how they might interact with each other.

It's only infuriating if it's taken with a classic is/ought fallacy - the universe is this way, therefore it should be. But if you think of it instead in terms of a fundamentally hostile cosmos it's got a lot of potential.
Garlak
Youngling

Post by Garlak »

Usually, in my experience "Balance of Good and Evil" just means that you can't kill the top Bad Guys because they are an inherent part of the system. Or if you do smoke 'em, something else replaces them--and not in the usual "vacuum of power" way but more like a spontaneous outbreak of malevolence.

It may be an interesting bit of philosophy and/or social commentary if done the way Junghalli suggests... once. But this literary convention is more widespread then it ought to be. To me, finding out there's a supposed "Balance" of good and evil, just makes the struggles and accomplishments in that world seem so... bleak and hopeless. In a "haha, nothing you did--nor anything you can EVER do--will ever have an effect! Nyaah!" kind of way.

Also, other stuff I agree with. Or would that be "tropes I disagree with" instead, heh?

Technology=Evil, Return to Nature!
Karma Houdinis
Deus Angst/Diabolus Machina
Bakustra on confusing, melting-pot cosmologies. Along with "...but the Christian god just HAPPENS to be the right one" stuff.
I went to the librarian and asked for a book about stars ... And the answer was stunning. It was that the Sun was a star but really close. The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
~Carl Sagan
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

weemadando wrote: Yeah, when he's P-90 in one hand and pistol in the other and single-handedly holding down a section of pyramid ship, then he's probably passed into bad-assery.
At least it is better than several(most?) seasons of Dana Scully bleating like an abused sheep about whatever was in her face this encounter of the week was "impossible". It took a case of alien abduction, cancer from alien abduction and a miracle cure or two before she stopped doing the broken record impersonation. Even then there where relapses.

I'm sure it appeals to a market segment for a hot woman to be completely damn wrong all the time, but the plot-induced stupid was just anoying.
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

adam_grif wrote:The idea that there is even an organized "good" and "evil" is kind of ridiculous to begin with. Especially when you get into the ridiculous notions that there is like a deity backing both sides, and all evil is the result of their corruption, and all good is the result of following the righteous part of the other guy. This kind of cosmic dualism is infantile in it's simplification of the world.

Yeah, I was watching Santa Clause vs Satan on MST3k last night :lol:
You mistake what I mean. The good gods and the bad gods aren't responsible for all the good and evil. Their churches are merely organisations where people with similar world views will gravitate to. For example some left leaning and conservatives will tend to vote for a certain party. What I can't stand is that there must be a balance between good and evil, instead of both sides trying to gain the upperhand. This is like if the ALP trashed the liberal party at the election and then decided to give some seats to the Liberal so that both parties end up with the same number of seats, because of the.... balance.

Its never explained why this balance is important. In Dragonlance the Kingpriest suspected Paladine advocated balance because then he was weak, but that good appeared to be in ascendency he could screw with that. The gods including Paladine rewarded him by dropping a mountain on his city, all because of balance. The same shit gets thrown up in Forgotten Realms in the Avatar trilogy.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Hmm. could be fun to write some high fantasy in a balance-enforced cosmology, with the protagonists (or antagonists, either works) fighting to destroy the mechanism/organization/deity that enforces that balance.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Xon wrote:
weemadando wrote: Yeah, when he's P-90 in one hand and pistol in the other and single-handedly holding down a section of pyramid ship, then he's probably passed into bad-assery.
At least it is better than several(most?) seasons of Dana Scully bleating like an abused sheep about whatever was in her face this encounter of the week was "impossible". It took a case of alien abduction, cancer from alien abduction and a miracle cure or two before she stopped doing the broken record impersonation. Even then there where relapses.
You're forgetting about the telekinetic baby that she had too.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

I was trying to forget that. That just makes the relapses into a broken record impersonation even more of a plot-induced idiot ball.
White Haven wrote:Hmm. could be fun to write some high fantasy in a balance-enforced cosmology, with the protagonists (or antagonists, either works) fighting to destroy the mechanism/organization/deity that enforces that balance.
I'ld love to read/watch something like that. Does something like that already exist?
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Xon wrote:
White Haven wrote:Hmm. could be fun to write some high fantasy in a balance-enforced cosmology, with the protagonists (or antagonists, either works) fighting to destroy the mechanism/organization/deity that enforces that balance.
I'ld love to read/watch something like that. Does something like that already exist?
The Dragonlance Chronicles is the only trilogy I know of that does this to any extent..
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Junghalli wrote:
Garlak wrote:"Balance of Good and Evil."

There is cause and there is effect. Action and consequence.

The idea of giant, metaphysical scales that tally up every "point" of good and evil and make sure to balance it out is... it's a disturbing concept. It pisses me off.
But this could be a quite interesting premise and great drama. Imagine the consequences of a world that was actually fucked up like that. How would people react? Would they stop trying to improve things, on the logic that there's no point? Would they selectively do good for people they deem worthy? Would they try to work out some system to distribute the good and bad in some way that minimizes suffering as much as their maltheist shit cosmos allows? Would some altruistic souls try to live in as much suffering as possible on the logic that this will free up good fortune for others? Would people try to inflict as much suffering on slaves or enemies as possible, to free up good fortune for themselves? Would they try to fix the universe itself? I could imagine different groups doing all of those things, and then think of how they might interact with each other.

It's only infuriating if it's taken with a classic is/ought fallacy - the universe is this way, therefore it should be. But if you think of it instead in terms of a fundamentally hostile cosmos it's got a lot of potential.
There is a series of books by the Russian writer Nick Perumov which are pretty much like that, complete with a metaphysical scale (although it does not measure Good and Evil perse, but rather their effects on the world. Save a city from destruction, and another one will die to a plague, that sort of thing). The first book has the protagonists, a pair of Dark Lords overthrowing the oppressive Generic Light Beigns and jeopardizing the foundations of the multiverse in the process, then fighting a desperate struggle to keep it from falling apart, even as their every action turns against them and brings them closer to their inevitable doom (which will come in the last book of the series, which is currently on hold. Damnation!). It's a good idea, although suffering from series decay and the fact that the writer had to turn out 2 or 3 long books a year just to keep food on the table (and at one point, emigrated to the US because he couldn't support his family in Russia).

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Gaidin wrote:
Xon wrote:
The Dragonlance Chronicles is the only trilogy I know of that does this to any extent..
I take you haven't read any Michael Moorcock? Although of course with Moorcock, the protagonists rarely have their way either. The ending of the Swords Trilogy is just sweet, though. Talking about unintended consequences... :mrgreen:
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Kingmaker wrote: As for things that bother me, genetic magic. I don't get nearly as annoyed at settings where genetics merely influences talent, but the idea that it is wholly genetic just strikes me as absurd. It'd be like if the ability to ambulate was genetic (if less fundamental than that). I vastly prefer settings where the ability to use magic is fundamentally an intellectual achievement. Of course, then we couldn't have our plucky illiterate peasant hero.
This is one of the biggest failings of the Star Wars prequels, in my opinion. The OT made it seem like anyone could learn to use the Force, but it was very difficult for anyone who wasn't naturally disposed toward Force usage to master it. I'm not really sure if there was any EU material that backed up that interpretation of the Force, but I do know that the prequels (and to a lesser extent Kevin J. Anderson) just turned it into the X-gene, killing a lot of the metaphysical mystery of the SW universe for me.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Yeah, I always thought that sucked.

When Vader is about to blow Luke's X-wing apart in ANH, he simply observes "The Force is strong in this one" and squeezes the trigger. As if it's uncommon but not amazingly so.

He doesn't go "OH SHIT ITS A JEDI I MUST HAVE MISSED ONE WHEN I WAS EXTERMINATING THEM ALL".
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

GuppyShark wrote:Yeah, I always thought that sucked.

When Vader is about to blow Luke's X-wing apart in ANH, he simply observes "The Force is strong in this one" and squeezes the trigger. As if it's uncommon but not amazingly so.

He doesn't go "OH SHIT ITS A JEDI I MUST HAVE MISSED ONE WHEN I WAS EXTERMINATING THEM ALL".
Well, doesn't that actually PROVE the midichlorian thing, rather than disprove it? I mean, anyone can be born with weird cells, but if it actually takes training to have a strong force presence, then he's less likely to comment on it so casually.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Bakustra wrote:[
For example, belief is supposed to be what powers the three swords, but one of them is supposed to be Excalibur. But it isn't any more powerful than the other two, despite being the most widely-known weapon of folklore, besides maybe thunderbolts. Not to mention the problems of having a faith-powered object that is nevertheless a secret from the world at large... But there's the question of why only certain objects and certain people are empowered by faith- and that is what I mean by inconsistent. Rules fail to be universal, or even sensible.
I've only read the first four Dresden books thus far, (and they are awesome fun) but wasn't Micheal the Paladin and his sword supposed to be powered by his own faith. Not the faith of everyone at large. Which handily explains why Excalibur isn't anymore powerful than the other ones. But also, does anyone really believe in Excalibur anyway? Knowing about arthurian myth isn't the same as actual belief.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Bakustra wrote:[
For example, belief is supposed to be what powers the three swords, but one of them is supposed to be Excalibur. But it isn't any more powerful than the other two, despite being the most widely-known weapon of folklore, besides maybe thunderbolts. Not to mention the problems of having a faith-powered object that is nevertheless a secret from the world at large... But there's the question of why only certain objects and certain people are empowered by faith- and that is what I mean by inconsistent. Rules fail to be universal, or even sensible.
I've only read the first four Dresden books thus far, (and they are awesome fun) but wasn't Micheal the Paladin and his sword supposed to be powered by his own faith. Not the faith of everyone at large. Which handily explains why Excalibur isn't anymore powerful than the other ones. But also, does anyone really believe in Excalibur anyway? Knowing about arthurian myth isn't the same as actual belief.
The problem (and this is a very minor spoiler for the next book) is that the other two swordbearers are not of the same level of faith as him, to put it mildly. But they are only differentiated from him by their relative levels of experience, and their weapons are of the same caliber. It would be better and more consistent if they simply were blessed weapons rather than the implications associated with faith power.

People still look for the "real" King Arthur and "historical" Camelot. In addition, the angels that make their presence known are among the classic four archangels. How many people really believe in the archangel Uriel? But he still enters the scene later on. There's also the matter of fairies continuing to exist despite being folkloric in most of the world, but that's another matter entirely.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Axiomatic
Padawan Learner

Post by Axiomatic »

There's also the Night Watch series by Sergei Lukyanenko, which has the Light and the Dark, and they basically have an agreement to maintain a Balance, but this isn't because the Balance is inherently desirable, but because they're both basically forced into it by mutually assured destruction. Both the Light and the Dark would love nothing more but to erase the other from existence, but unless you can get truly overwhelming odds in your favor, the other side can strike back and you both end up being screwed.

So basically magical intervention to alter the Balance is of the "you have done this and this, and that now gives the other side the right to cast a miracle of an equivalent magical power". And you have an impartial Inquisition ready to stomp on you if you break the rules.
Yesterday upon the stair
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today.
I think he's from the CIA.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Bakustra wrote: The problem (and this is a very minor spoiler for the next book) is that the other two swordbearers are not of the same level of faith as him, to put it mildly. But they are only differentiated from him by their relative levels of experience, and their weapons are of the same caliber. It would be better and more consistent if they simply were blessed weapons rather than the implications associated with faith power.
That's what they are. Artifacts have power in Dresden's world. They don't even have to be blessed, persay(see the Noose). It's not even the swords themselves that are the power, given two of them have been reworked, possibly multiple times. It's the crucifix nails worked into the hilts.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Gaidin wrote:
Bakustra wrote: The problem (and this is a very minor spoiler for the next book) is that the other two swordbearers are not of the same level of faith as him, to put it mildly. But they are only differentiated from him by their relative levels of experience, and their weapons are of the same caliber. It would be better and more consistent if they simply were blessed weapons rather than the implications associated with faith power.
That's what they are. Artifacts have power in Dresden's world. They don't even have to be blessed, persay(see the Noose). It's not even the swords themselves that are the power, given two of them have been reworked, possibly multiple times. It's the crucifix nails worked into the hilts.
That's what would be preferable, except for the indications that it's because of belief that are consistently brought up by Harry, and Harry is never really shown as wrong in this.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums