The Annapolis Power Boat Show

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

The Annapolis Power Boat Show

Post by MKSheppard »

Was there this weekend; and I've uploaded quite a bit of my best shots to my website:

Link to Photo Album

Anyway, the tech was actually pretty damned interesting.

They had operating displays of FLIR's civilian stuff:

Link to pic.

Best part of turning it on/off? Seeing the "This is a restricted item under ITAR, requires export permission".

But anyway, I talked to the salesman, and it was about $7.5k; and about 10 years ago, something like this would have been $20k.

I also played around with a lot of the electronics. They're really pretty cool.

A really nice blinged out 55 foot Fleming's Helm

Seems right now the aim is for very tight integration between the multi-function displays, so that a single $4,000 MFD can control everything from your fish-finder, electronic GPS chart table, radar, to engine status monitoring, etc etc.

But what's really cool is the integration features. You can have your digital charts overlaid with other information.

For example, your radar feed can be integrated on top of the chart; so you can see the radar feed in context. Also, you can integrate AIS data to survive in heavily trafficked channels -- more and more large ships have AIS VHF transponders which are continuously transmitting the vessels' name, speed, course, and heading; plus other miscellaneous information -- so you could "see" a large commercial ship around a harbor bend, despite it being blocked from radar view.

The same MFD can also be used to view video from TV cameras or FLIRs around your boat. You can also subscribe to a service that broadcasts up-to-date weather, current/tide information; and that can be integrated onto your chart as well.

It's really nice; it helps you understand how automation can help someone do more, and safer too.

But integration issues are a major problem now -- even with systems off the shelf and bought from a SINGLE manufacturer -- theoretically, they should all work together.

But in a lot of cases; they're full of gremlins -- in which major functions simply do not work, or if they work; are shot through with problems or glitches.

Now. Imagine the problems in tying together the equipment and electronics for some nations' Navy, in which they bought a MEKO, and then specified a deck gun from Italy, a radar from France, a ECM system from Israel, etc etc....and then expect it all to work together seamlessly....

They also had the first production hybrid yacht.

Link to pic

First one in the US; the production line was started this summer. They sold one at the boat show to that point (I arrived mid-way thru it); and have orders for 120 of them.

Has about 20nm range at 5.5 knots on the battery; and the roof is covered in solar panels to give 1.3 kilowatts on a really good day; making it possible to crawl along indefinitely at 1-2 knots without needing gas or anything.

There was also a booth by some guys who were selling a concept hydrogen/battery/solar yacht -- I asked them about the price, and it was about 2.5 million rough estimate.

The Hybrid Guys Website
The Greenline Website

I predict strong growth in the hybrid boating market as petrol derived fuel prices rise -- marine diesel is about 25% more expensive than road diesel, which is already expensive due to taxes.

By my rough calculations; electricity in MD is about five times cheaper compared to marine diesel's present price; and by 2020; we will have advanced enough in battery technology to make faster battery-only speeds possible, along with increased range.

As it is; battery tech is only workable for boats which stay on rivers or lakes; since you don't go far; especially in a rental-boat concept.

One of the things I noticed was that LED lighting was pretty much it for general lighting and interior purposes. Talking with the exhibitors, I learned that LEDs basically took over the whole market (except for specialized high intensity stuff) over two years' course, due to their efficiency and ruggedness.

At one of the tables, they had a piece of equipment from the US Navy's new Shipboard Protection System. It's a 12 million candlepower light.

Link to Dazzler

The plan is for the more ruggedized military mount to be integrated with the warship's radar and other sensors; the ship's crew sets a "keep out" zone, and if a small craft or what violates that zone, the sensor provides bearing and elevation information to slew the Maxa Beam over to the target. As an additional bonus; it has a strobe mode for maximum confusion.

Honestly, there's a lot more, but these were the things that stood out for me. Go visit my site for more peeectures.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944