NFL Season 2010. 'Bout GOD DAMNED TIME!

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Havok
Miscreant

Re: NFL Season 2010. 'Bout GOD DAMNED TIME!

Post by Havok »

Walsh only scripted the first 15 plays so that wouldn't address anything as I believe the 49ers still do that.
You obviously didn't see their first game this year or you would realize that the Monday night game was about a 100% improvement over last week.
The thing is, this wasn't an issue last year that I recall, so I'm not sure where this is coming from this year.
And there are tons of offensive coordinators that sit in the booth, including Holmgren when he used to be with SF.

They went to the wristband combined with play numbers to get rid of the problem and it worked. The only delay call I saw of note had nothing to do with the play calling and had to do with personnel, namely, Davis not knowing that he needed to be on the fucking field and coming on late.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Havok wrote:Walsh only scripted the first 15 plays so that wouldn't address anything as I believe the 49ers still do that.
Quite a few teams do that, though, don't they, to get an initial feel for how the defense is responding to their formations and shifts?
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The Spartan wrote:
Havok wrote:Walsh only scripted the first 15 plays so that wouldn't address anything as I believe the 49ers still do that.
Quite a few teams do that, though, don't they, to get an initial feel for how the defense is responding to their formations and shifts?
It was originally meant to foil Tom Landry's use of computer programs to calculate tendencies. Coaches tend to fall into a pattern of play-calling whether they realize it or not. Walsh's idea was to plan his calls ahead of time so there wouldn't be any tendencies. Sometimes he would simply go back and call the same 15-25 plays all over again. By the time the other team caught on, it was usually too late.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

This is too fucking funny:

Vincent Jackson, who is just one DUI from getting a one-year suspension, tried to bluff A.J. Smith into trading him or signing him to a long-term deal. Needless to say, Smith can't be bluffed -and certainly not by a receiver who got busted by the cops while on his way to a playoff game. To really drive home this point, after Jackson and his cocky agents convinced the League and the union to reduce his current suspension from six games to four (if he was traded today), Smith pulled the plug and is now daring Jackson to sit out the year. A total dick move, but that's A.J.'s specialty.

Several teams were interested, but according to John Clayton at ESPN, the owners of the Rams and Seahawks bailed after Braylon Edwards of the Jets got busted for a DUI.

Jackson's agents, who apparently believe that the road ahead should be lit by the bridges burning behind, had this to say about A.J. Smith:
Feinsod ripped San Diego general manager A.J. Smith for not making a deal.

“Archie Manning had it right,” Feinsod said in reference to Manning not wanting his son Eli to play for the Chargers after he was drafted by the team in 2004. “They call (Smith) the Lord of No Rings for a reason.”

Yes, folks, it has gotten personal.
:lol:

Here's the best part: Unless Vincent Jackson reports and is on the roster for at least six games this season, he'll be right back where he started in 2011.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Word.

There truely is a lot of selective amnesia (or likely for all those non-Chargers fans, plain ignorance) about the whole VJ drama: one more DUI and, contract or not, he's riding a bench for the rest of the season.

Food for thought: the Chargers 14-point opening loss was the 1st game in almost 2 seasons we got less than 20 points. When it rained -- and the only exception to be made was KC's return game -- no offense went anywhere; no skill player amounted to much on either side of the ball. That loss had "fluke" written all over it and anyone who thinks Kansas City is doing anything but defying gravity needs to take cover.

Cue Jacksonville. Though rife with turnovers Marcus McNeill clearly saw the writing on the wall: your presence isn't missed and the show is going on with or without you. So he signed. VJ put complete faith in his agent which... versus AJ Smith was clearly a mistake. McNeill probably went over his agents head because he just wants to play.

But here's where McNeill stands now: plenty of Chargers fans aren't convinced he's even the better tackle -- a near-unanimous opinion is forming that Dombrowski is the better run blocker --- and he's about $3M poorer than he would have been had he signed his original tender. Plus he's way behind in reps and still won't be eligible to play, much less start, for 3 weeks.

Still, even though VJ and his agents now have absolutely no leverage whatsoever, teams could easily become ever-more-desperate for his services. AJ Smith's an ass-riding prick but I'm on his side on this one: there is no rush to get a deal done. His demands are high but these teams dieing for a WR are only getting more anxious for a solution.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

They'll be convinced McNeil is better after watching Dombrowski get PWNED vs Seattle.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

*sigh, again* A few sacks can be worked around with chip blocking... if need be. Not that I'm saying I don't want McNeill, that's just setting up --
what you CAN'T just work around is 14-17 point holes generated entirely by turnovers and hapless special teams. Our offense has outperformed the other team's all season long and our defense played ably enough but on account of special teams alone, we've got 2 losses.

I'm noticing a pattern. Chargers lose, my fantasy team wins. If that holds true I'm going to start benching my fantasy players since the football voodoo gods are fucking with me.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

The Spartan wrote:
Every NFL team that I know of does this, today. They often even "rehearse" their opening plays specifically during practice for this specific purpose.

Wow. The 49ers just got dominated, today. Jamaal Charles killed us--he's a really good player. Not a lot of good things, today. Last week was really encouraging, but this one wasn't at all.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

SPC Brungardt wrote:*sigh, again* A few sacks can be worked around with chip blocking... if need be. Not that I'm saying I don't want McNeill, that's just setting up --
what you CAN'T just work around is 14-17 point holes generated entirely by turnovers and hapless special teams. Our offense has outperformed the other team's all season long and our defense played ably enough but on account of special teams alone, we've got 2 losses.

I'm noticing a pattern. Chargers lose, my fantasy team wins. If that holds true I'm going to start benching my fantasy players since the football voodoo gods are fucking with me.
It looks like the player they miss most is Kassim Osgood.

As far as the defense is concerned, it's not like they've been tested. Between the shitty ST play and the low caliber opposition, that is. A good offense would have run up a 27-0 lead by halftime. One awful pick in the end zone, a bungled field goal and a retarded fumble right before the end zone kept the Chargers somewhat in the game.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

That was just embarrassing... :cry:
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

The Packers fell short tonight, but they made their last seconds at Soldier Field into highlight video fodder for sure.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

'We will be better now that we have the same coordinator two years in a row.'
'After three games, we have fired our coordinator.'

:roll:

I'm going into my Madden roster and cutting everyone's overall by half.

That was just an awful performance. The defense looked lost. Even Willis looked like he was going half speed.
The offense was putrid, and again, like game one, it didn't look to be Smith's fault. The O-line disappeared again in the running and passing game as well as Crabtree and Davis.

This is the first time that my confidence in Singletary has waivered.

Vick looks fucking great. Like the last three years didn't happen. Hope for the Plaxico fans.

The Chiefs and the Bears... what the hell is going on this year? :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Havok wrote:Vick looks fucking great. Like the last three years didn't happen. Hope for the Plaxico fans.

Superior coaching.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

It was rhetorical jack wad. :D
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Havok wrote:It was rhetorical jack wad. :D
:lol: You know that, and I know that, but many a GM in the NFL does not know that. :P
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Elfdart wrote: :lol: You know that, and I know that, but many a GM in the NFL does not know that. :P
Don't I know it... :(
Soy un perdedor.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Havok wrote:'We will be better now that we have the same coordinator two years in a row.'
'After three games, we have fired our coordinator.'

:roll:

I'm going into my Madden roster and cutting everyone's overall by half.

That was just an awful performance. The defense looked lost. Even Willis looked like he was going half speed.
The offense was putrid, and again, like game one, it didn't look to be Smith's fault. The O-line disappeared again in the running and passing game as well as Crabtree and Davis.

This is the first time that my confidence in Singletary has waivered.

Vick looks fucking great. Like the last three years didn't happen. Hope for the Plaxico fans.

The 49ers will still likely beat the Cardinals twice. :)

The Cards seem to have improved their running game to the point where I can kind of see how the coach is trying to turn them into Steelers West. Unfortunately, I think they still have a long ways to go. Especially on the defensive side of things.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Tsyroc wrote:The 49ers will still likely beat the Cardinals twice. :)
2-14 is not very encouraging. :P

I'm halfway serious... what looked to be a hilariously weak schedule got a whole lot tougher in three weeks.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Havok wrote:
Tsyroc wrote:The 49ers will still likely beat the Cardinals twice. :)
2-14 is not very encouraging. :P

I'm halfway serious... what looked to be a hilariously weak schedule got a whole lot tougher in three weeks.

Maybe they can squeak out a win or two against the Rams and take the home game vs. Seattle? It might be enough to win the NFC West. :mrgreen:
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Fucking Bob McNair.
Soy un perdedor.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The Spartan wrote:Fucking Bob McNair.
What did he do?
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I believe The Spartan is referring to the recent crackdown on non-ticketed tailgaters at Reliant Stadium. The Texans don't have much in the way of history but apparently their tailgating is second to none in the NFL and now the TExans are prohibiting anyone without a ticket from coming down to tailgate at the game.

Which is funny because I hear most of the problems that prompted this move were caused by Cowboy fans at the game this past weekend and not Houston fans.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Pretty much what Fanboy said. My friends and I tailgate at the game with a group of about 10 or 12 people, including the ticket holders, on any given gameday, sometimes more if friends or friends of friends are in town, but there are only 4 tickets to the group divided between two season ticket holders. The group without tickets stays outside and watches the game on a TV that we bring with a generator and they grill while the ticket holders go in to the stadium. That all said, we only take up two parking spaces, we clean up after ourselves and we behave. Specifics aside, that's all true for, I would say, hundreds more tailgating groups around Texas stadium.

At the last game, there was someone walking around afterwards punching people at random (there's video footage) and there was also, apparently, a fight (between rival gangs if what I've heard is true), so, they seem to be using this excuse to crack down on everyone else. They claim they need to do this because it's a drain on resources, but in the end they're fucking over fans who can't get into the sold out stadium, but want to support the team and have fun tailgating.

Now? Anyone that wants to tailgate has to also have a game ticket as well. They made 2000 tailgating passes available, but those sold out within an hour. Probably most went to the corporate sponsored tailgates.

There are people who support this measure, but the general consensus, as far as I can tell, is that this sucks. And I agree. The opinion among my friends is that this is a money move and they just don't want to pay for adequate security and competent parking attendants. The best compromise option I've heard is something a friend suggested: charge anyone without a game ticket $5 at the gate and use that money to hire more security and to actually train the parking lot staff to do more than just wave a wand back and forth.
Soy un perdedor.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I need a cigarette after this 1st half! The only bad part was Sproles' fumble being run back for a TD.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

59 yard kick from Scobee for the W! :shock:

And the 'Skins win in Philly in a game that goes down to the wire.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED