NBA Playoffs 2010

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Re: NBA Playoffs 2010

Post by Phantasee »

There could still be some... Magic.

Oh god let there be some magic. Lakers probably have an easy time winning over the Celtics, but they have an easy chance to win with the Magic.
XXXI
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

For Magic to advance to the Finals, it would have to be epic ... no team has won a series from 0:3 deficit.
And I wouldn't be so sure about Lakers either.

Phoenix Suns vs Los Angeles Lakers 115:106 (2:2)
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Argosh wrote:For Magic to advance to the Finals, it would have to be epic ... no team has won a series from 0:3 deficit.
Boston has been on both the right and the wrong end of the 4 game comeback recently, I don't think any fan in that city is taking it for granted. Especially after the way the Bruins were handled a couple weeks ago.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Phantasee wrote:Lakers probably have an easy time winning over the Celtics
Really? The Lakers may be damned good, but the Celtics defense this post-season has been really on point. It would certainly be a close series, not a sweep one way or the other.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

I have no idea why I said easy there. I meant that they may beat the Celtics, but they are guaranteed a win over the Magic.
XXXI
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

actually winning on the road would be par for the course for the Celtics. Their home record hasn't really been all that impressive. The road however is a different story.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I lurk on the ESPN boards just to see what's being said, so I must ask: why are Celtic fans such arrogant pricks? Their entire attitude seems to alternate between "kick the dog when he's down" and "kick the dog for daring to bark back".
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Steve wrote:why are Celtic fans such arrogant pricks?
Pretty much a prerequisite for being a fan of any Boston based sports team. :wink:
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Steve wrote:why are Celtic fans such arrogant pricks?
Pretty much a prerequisite for being a fan of any Boston based sports team. :wink:
I had heard that Bostonians made New Yorkers look like pleasant and amiable fellows....

Oh, and while Joey Crawford certainly did the right thing in intercepting Davis and getting him off his feet, it seems whatever game he ends up in becomes a free throw fest. I still remember Magic-Cavs Game 3. Jeez, can't the guy let people play?

And honestly, I want to hear Celtic fans shut up about Perkins getting t-ed up, since the refs have done the same thing to other players, including Magic ones, a bunch of times. And yes, i agree it was a bullshit T. This is why NBA refs have become the league's worst enemy. But David Stern's too conservative and narrow-visioned to realize it, or is perhaps too chicken shit to deal with his refs in fear that they'll revolt, fuck up the games, or otherwise cause the league's discipline to vanish.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Steve wrote:I lurk on the ESPN boards
You just answered your own question there man. :D

Sports boards are right up there with news article and youtube comment threads.

But what the hell is going on? I wanted Lakers Celtics and I am being denied.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Havok wrote:But what the hell is going on? I wanted Lakers Celtics and I am being denied.
Los Angeles Lakers vs Phoenix Suns - they're tied, 2:2.
The Lakers have been in this situation three previous times over the past two playoffs: a series tied at 2, with Game 5 at home. Los Angeles won each time, beating Houston and the Nuggets last season before trouncing Oklahoma City last month in the first round. Overall, they've won Game 5 seven straight times at home.

Meanwhile, Magic forces Game 6.
Orlando Magic vs Boston Celtics 113:92 (2:3)
--
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Man, Is it true there are no Suns fans outside of Arizona?

I seriously have not seen one bit about the finals... outside of sports channels, about the Suns. But other papers seem to gush about the Orlando vs Boston games. It was the same when we Crushed the Spurs. We get a four game shut out, and barely a blip from others, so unfair!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Steve wrote: I had heard that Bostonians made New Yorkers look like pleasant and amiable fellows....
Most people who have been to both cities will tell you New York is a much friendlier town, but I digress because this is an NBA thread and I am far from a Knicks fan.
This is why NBA refs have become the league's worst enemy. But David Stern's too conservative and narrow-visioned to realize it, or is perhaps too chicken shit to deal with his refs in fear that they'll revolt, fuck up the games, or otherwise cause the league's discipline to vanish.
He is still trying to fix the damage done by Donahgy, the ref who was betting on games. Unfortunately Stern is doing the dumb ass thing of trying to restore the referees credibility by making even their dumb ass decisions infalliable by not allowing any type of commentary. Officiating needs to be fixed to get credibility back more than anything. Now anytime blasts the refs they get fined thousands of dollars which adds even more media attention when it happens and those mistakes and comments get even more play as a result.

Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Los Angeles Lakers vs Phoenix Suns 103:101 (3:2)
The Lakers have won Game 5 the last nine straight times they’ve reached it in a playoff series, including last season’s title clincher over Orlando. Los Angeles also is the only team that hasn’t trailed in a series this spring.
Heh, Lakers got saved by a lucky shot. Curse you, Artest. :banghead:
--
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

God FUCK You Lucky shot! The suns Had you and then you have to go get lucky at the buzzer. Why the Fuck do the Suns ALWAYS get shafted like this? Its like the universe can't abide them being the lucky ones!

Fuck You Universe! :finger:
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Jack Bauer
Jedi Knight

Post by Jack Bauer »

Ron Artest almost single-handedly BLEW the game and single-handedly WON the game. He should never have had make that terrible brick of a three with a minute left. The look that Phil Jackson gave him during the timeout could have melted buildings.

With that said, there were some other big Laker mistakes that could have cost them: Gasol's failed easy dunk with a few minutes left and the failure to box out that allowed Richardson to make that crazy bank shot three-pointer.

I mean, I'm a die-hard Lakers fan, but you gotta hand it to Steve Nash and the Suns. They nearly fuckin stole this game in what would have been a huge upset.
Sig by JME2
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Argosh wrote:

Meanwhile, Magic forces Game 6.
Orlando Magic vs Boston Celtics 113:92 (2:3)
It must be Magic...
XXXI
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Nope. Boston came out determined and put us away.

And so we must endure a year of taunting from Celtic cultists. I actually find myself hoping the Lakers brutalize the shit out of them in the Finals.

Losing to Cleveland would've been one thing. I was fully ready to see the Cavs take some rings, that city deserves it. But Boston? Fuck Boston, they've had their glory, and if fan behavior caused any karma then the Celtics will spend the next thirty years averaging 20 wins a season. :finger: (Though kudos to Doc Rivers, I do like seeing him succeed.)

Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Boston Celtics vs Orlando Magic 96:84 (4:2)

Boston Celtics advance to the NBA Finals.
--
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Phoenix Suns vs Los Angeles Lakers 103:111 (2:4)

Los Angeles Lakers advance to the NBA Finals, their 31st trip.
The Celtics are 9-2 against the Los Angeles and Minneapolis Lakers in the finals.
--
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

This is going to be a hell of a series.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Somebody give me a reason to be hopeful for LA :/ General consensus around here is that it'll be Boston in 6 or 7.
XXXI
Darth Quorthon
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Quorthon »

Unlike 2008, the Lakers have home-court advantage for the finals. As the talking heads at ESPN like to point out, the 2-3-2 format of the finals tends to favor the team with home-court advantage, since it's tough for the "road" team to win three straight games. However, as has been said before, the Celtics have been very good on the road this postseason, so it's going to be a bit dicey. If the Celtics can take one of the first two games in L.A., the Lakers' goose is probably cooked. Hopefully, the Lakers come out with a chip on their shoulders, remembering the drubbing that the Celtics laid on them in 2008.
"For the first few weeks of rehearsal, we tend to sound like a really, really bad Rush tribute band." -Alex Lifeson

"See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now." - Valentine McKee

"Next time you're gonna be a bit higher!" -General from Birani

"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." - H. L. Mencken

He who creates shields by fire - Rotting Christ, Lex Talionis
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Am I the only one here who hates the Lakers with a burning, fiery passion and will be eminently thankful if the Celtics take them down?
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I dislike the Lakers, but I loathe the Celtics even more (especially their fans, though Doc Rivers is awesome), and I hope the Lakers beat them.

Though, seriously, the Lakers have the size to counter Perkins and Garnett, they have Bynum this year - they didn't have him two years ago due to injury - and Kobe will be looking for the two-peat to further cement his Shaq-less legacy (Even if a cynic might point out the Lakers were not top in the West until they snagged Pau Gasol on top of Bynum). Their main issue is the PG position and Rondo dicing them up on offense.