Spartacus - the new series.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Spartacus - the new series.

Post by Thanas »

Do not watch this series. Seriously. Do not watch it.

It would be hard to describe just how how much it sucks, but it certainly does so more than all the wormholes in the galaxy combined.

It is as if you took Rome, removed the good acting, the storylines, the dialogue and left the nudity. Then you took the slow-motion comic-book style of 300 and added it to the mix. And then you added the worst actors of the year and piled on a massive rape of history. Oh, and an inability to correctly pronounce latin titles. As an aside, if you want to use legatus and auxillia to try to make it look as if you had done your homework, then you better also have a senator dress like a freaking senator, not like some cheap street vendor. Oh, and then you better not use weaponry and armor that was not available up to 80 years after the events in the miniseries.

I cannot find a single redeeming feature in it. What a waste of time. Which brings me back to: Do not watch it.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Re: Spartacus - the new series.

Post by ray245 »

Meh, I'm just glad that I could always go back and watch the BBC's version of Spartacus.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

On the plus side, you get to see Lucy Lawless show her tits.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Elfdart wrote:On the plus side, you get to see Lucy Lawless show her tits.
You don't, at least not in the episode I was watching. And sorry, naked breasts are not enough to make a series good. Last episode featured probably around 30 pairs of them and still the damm thing was boring and stupid.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

There's only been one episode hasn't there?

Have to agree with Thanus as to the general shitness of it. Especially the very wooden acting, I assume the actors were struggling with the green screen sets.

John Hannah was the closest thing to a redeeming feature in the show.

Oddly its already been renewed for a second series.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Thanas wrote:
Elfdart wrote:On the plus side, you get to see Lucy Lawless show her tits.
You don't, at least not in the episode I was watching. And sorry, naked breasts are not enough to make a series good. Last episode featured probably around 30 pairs of them and still the damm thing was boring and stupid.
She said she does in an interview and I was being facetious anyway. You could tell it was going to suck from the previews. It looks like one of those made-for-SyFy movies, only chintzier.
Zac Naloen wrote: Oddly its already been renewed for a second series.
Why not? It looks like it cost all of $500 to shoot. Showtime's The Tudors is also low-budget and trashy and is now on its fourth season.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Elfdart wrote: She said she does in an interview and I was being facetious anyway. You could tell it was going to suck from the previews. It looks like one of those made-for-SyFy movies, only chintzier.
If you're that desperate she did have a nip slip while singing the national anthem over here in Anaheim years ago.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Here's a trailer for this show:

I must say the green screen effects are pretty hokey...
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
eyexist
Padawan Learner

Post by eyexist »

I'm not sure why this is such a surprise. Sam Raimi is the producer; the same guy that has produced Hercules: the Legendary journeys, Xena: Warrior Princess and the TV adaptation for the Legend of the seeker novels. What do all these shows have in common? Hammy acting, shitty special effects, and tits.
Member of the PRFYNAFBTFC - Black Ops Division. Captain of the MFS Linda Lovelace
Rainbows make me cry.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

eyexist wrote:I'm not sure why this is such a surprise. Sam Raimi is the producer; the same guy that has produced Hercules: the Legendary journeys, Xena: Warrior Princess and the TV adaptation for the Legend of the seeker novels. What do all these shows have in common? Hammy acting, shitty special effects, and tits.
In other words, perfect for cable. My problem with the show is the way it rips off 300, a movie I couldn't stand. If it had just stuck with Tits & Togas, I might enjoy it on a trash level, like Andy Sidaris movies.
Vastatosaurus Rex
BANNED

Post by Vastatosaurus Rex »

Big Orange wrote:Here's a trailer for this show:

I can certainly see the stylistic similarities to 300. Is that movie going to influence sword-and-sandal movies and shows from now on?
And lo, the beast looked upon the face of beauty. And it stayed its hand from killing. And from that day, it was as one dead.
---Old Arabian Proverb
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Thanas wrote:*snip*
I agree, the fact that there appears to be zero fornication in the stands and ejaculations in time with the executions (the prozzers were talented at this) aiming to hit the Senator's heads at ringside of course means that there is clearly no historical accuracy to be had.

Plus, I'm pretty sure that they weren't speaking Latin.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

weemadando wrote:I agree, the fact that there appears to be zero fornication in the stands and ejaculations in time with the executions (the prozzers were talented at this) aiming to hit the Senator's heads at ringside of course means that there is clearly no historical accuracy to be had.

Plus, I'm pretty sure that they weren't speaking Latin.
Are you just stupid or are you attempting to troll this thread?
------------
------------
My LPs
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

No, I'm being serious. There was plenty of fornication in the stands at the Coliseum. And some sources say that it was a game for those up in the nosebleed section to see how far they could launch their load at the richer folks below.

The fact that there is no way in hell any movie or TV show will show this of course means that they all get -1 for accuracy.

The Latin comment, that was 100% snark.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

weemadando wrote:No, I'm being serious. There was plenty of fornication in the stands at the Coliseum. And some sources say that it was a game for those up in the nosebleed section to see how far they could launch their load at the richer folks below.

The fact that there is no way in hell any movie or TV show will show this of course means that they all get -1 for accuracy.
Riiiight.
------------
------------
My LPs
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Why not? It looks like it cost all of $500 to shoot. Showtime's The Tudors is also low-budget and trashy and is now on its fourth season.
I love the Tudors. Fourth season is the last one though. But how could it possibly be low budget? The costumes alone would cost a fortune, and the actors don't suck.

This show looks AWESOME. It looks like ... the boldest show on television!

:lol:
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Vympel wrote:
I love the Tudors. Fourth season is the last one though. But how could it possibly be low budget? The costumes alone would cost a fortune, and the actors don't suck.
Agreed. Sam Neil was awesome in his role. He got me hooked.
------------
------------
My LPs
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Thanas wrote:
Agreed. Sam Neil was awesome in his role. He got me hooked.
Corrected for you Thanas. I've been a fan of Neil since I saw "Reilly: Ace of Spies" on TV as a teenager.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^I have been a fan of him since Merlin. I happily accept the correction.
------------
------------
My LPs
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Thanas wrote:^I have been a fan of him since Merlin. I happily accept the correction.
New years day and Ivanhoe, while growing up...
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Thanas wrote:Do not watch this series. Seriously. Do not watch it.

It would be hard to describe just how how much it sucks, but it certainly does so more than all the wormholes in the galaxy combined.

It is as if you took Rome, removed the good acting, the storylines, the dialogue and left the nudity. Then you took the slow-motion comic-book style of 300 and added it to the mix. And then you added the worst actors of the year and piled on a massive rape of history. Oh, and an inability to correctly pronounce latin titles. As an aside, if you want to use legatus and auxillia to try to make it look as if you had done your homework, then you better also have a senator dress like a freaking senator, not like some cheap street vendor. Oh, and then you better not use weaponry and armor that was not available up to 80 years after the events in the miniseries.

I cannot find a single redeeming feature in it. What a waste of time. Which brings me back to: Do not watch it.
Something of a necro, but I ran out of TV to watch so I took a chance on this.

I quite like this show! The first two episodes were mostly rubbish and there's far too much fucking, but still. And whilst the gladiators are a bit pants in terms of acting ability, Batiatus and Lucretia (i.e. whatshisface from the mummy and Lucy Lawless) are a joy :)

But then I liked 300 so ... :)

(And yes, you do see Lucy Lawless' awesome rack. A lot).
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I read a few weeks ago that this was the first real hit series Starz produced and they're going to make more. I saw an episode and it's pure trash. I enjoyed every minute. I just lost track of which episode is which. Unlike The Tudors, they play it at all different hours and I'm totally confused.

Now I see Showtime is doing another series: The Borgias. I guess they can't get enough of ruff sex.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Elfdart wrote:I read a few weeks ago that this was the first real hit series Starz produced and they're going to make more. I saw an episode and it's pure trash. I enjoyed every minute. I just lost track of which episode is which. Unlike The Tudors, they play it at all different hours and I'm totally confused.
In related news, the lead actor was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. This has delayed the second season going into production whils the undergoes treatment. They're making a six episode prequel arc now.
Now I see Showtime is doing another series: The Borgias. I guess they can't get enough of ruff sex.
Yay!