"Are you serious?" - Ignorant things said by ignorant people

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Rye
To Mega Therion

Re: "Are you serious?" - Ignorant things said by ignorant people

Post by Rye »

At work, the boss goes to Joe, a christmas temp; "I wanted to put Joseph Stalin on your name badge, but I decided against it."

Joe responds, "Who's Joseph Stalin?"

I choke on my own rage for a good couple of minutes. I mean, surely Stalin isn't that obscure. What the fuck? Maybe those polls that have British kids believing fucked up shit are true, and they just go round Northern schools asking the kids that don't give a shit about reality beyond their narrow segment thereof.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

no she said her grandpa died when she was young...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
eyexist
Padawan Learner

Post by eyexist »

This happened just two days ago at a redneck bar my roommate brought us to:
Bartender owner: Wow you're the first boy to come into my bar in over ten years!
Me: And soon to be the last!
BO: I got a question for ya. Why do I only see you guys with big black women?
Me: I can't answer that. I only hook up with skinny white women.
BO: Huh?
Me: Well all the big women were taken, so I had to settle.
Member of the PRFYNAFBTFC - Black Ops Division. Captain of the MFS Linda Lovelace
Rainbows make me cry.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Terralthra wrote: Don't mix up modern ninja-wank with historical fact. The katana curved due to the forging process, as did the wakizashi, as did any supposed "ninja sword." The tsuba's difference is shape comes from the imagination of modernity, no more. Historical "ninja" would have simply used a sword with a katana-length hilt, sheathed in a katana's saya, but with a blade more the length of a wakizashi for a faster draw and better use in tight quarters.

Think about this for a minute. You're a ninja. Your primary weapon is disguise. Why on earth would you pack a weapon that shouts to anyone with two eyes and a neuron, "I AM A NINJA!!!!!"
There is a lot of wank around, but as in "Ninjutsu History and Tradition" by Masaaki Hatsumi, WHEN the ninja actually used a sword, it was rarely one from a good swordsmith, as only Samurai were allowed to obtain swords. So most were made from (broken?) shortened Katanas, or other modified weapons fittet with a katana-sized handle. Those were of course straighter than a normal Katana.

Very often, there were 'cruder' swords made from single bars, and much simpler than 'real' Katanas, resulting in them also being straighter than those. Also, they were usually shorter, since the primary use was to fight your way out of a fortress you infiltrated at night if the real plan went pear-shaped. So the shorter length made them less a burden and easier to use indoors.

The rectangular tsuba myth might come from that, it was easier to just cut a piece of wood and add it, instead of shaping it oval first.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
whackadoodle
Padawan Learner

Post by whackadoodle »

Mayabird wrote:Ignorant people saying ignorant things, you say? That only describes my ENTIRE GODDAMN CHILDHOOD in rural georgia (may the true second coming - of Sherman, of course - burn it off the map). Everything from one of my math teachers in elementary school not understanding negative numbers to the girl who refused to believe in both tectonics plates and atomic nuclei because they weren't mentioned in the Bible to the racists who couldn't even use the proper epithets towards me, to every conceivable moment where someone says that Jesus said something when Jesus most certainly said nothing about it (one moment that comes to mind, some woman screaming, "Homosexuality is an abomination against God and the wickedest of sins!" You know who said that? Jesus said it!).

I could pull out quotes from my head if I wanted but this would take all day.
Then, again, you did grow up in Jackass County.
I have come to the conclusion that my subjective account of my motivation is largely mythical on almost all occasions. I don't know why I do things.
J.B.S. Haldane