Who has the better dentists?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

JGregory32
Padawan Learner

Who has the better dentists?

Post by JGregory32 »

I'll admit there's nothing in cannon for either series dealing with dentistry but I thought it might be a fun topic to discuss.

Star Trek probably devoted tons of research time to making the dental vist more relaxing, of course they might also use small scale transporters to remove teeth and low powered phasers to deal with plaque.

In Star Wars the empire might use dentists as interrorgators but given the overall level of their medical technology they might have made the dentists trade obsolete.

Thoughts, comments, horror stories?
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Ian Malcolm: God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs.
Ellie Sattler: Dinosaurs eat man … woman inherits the earth.
Jurassic Park
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Re: Who has the better dentists?

Post by FedRebel »

JGregory32 wrote:I'll admit there's nothing in cannon for either series dealing with dentistry but I thought it might be a fun topic to discuss.
Two words...

Klingon's and Ferengi, just take a look at their pearly whites

...another thing 'star trek' is bad at :D
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Wasn't there a thread here at some point bitching about a set of braces on a kid in a Star Wars movie?

Ah, yes - here it is: 20th century orthodontics - the pinnacle of technology?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Just moving to OT.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

JGregory32 wrote:I'll admit there's nothing in cannon for either series dealing with dentistry but I thought it might be a fun topic to discuss.
Actually, I remember seeing Phlox working on T'Pol's teeth in an episode of Enterprise. I don't remember which one but his instruments seemed to be pretty much the same as what a 20th/21st century dentist would use.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
JGregory32
Padawan Learner

Post by JGregory32 »

Klingon and Ferengi might file their teeth down for cultural reasons as they way their teeth look in TNG and DS9 is just stupid. I get that their supposed to be descended from predators and scavangers but their teeth don't even look right for that.
Then we had the Klingons from the trek movies who had human teeth, either a modification for dealing with humans (diplomats might do this), or that is their natural tooth pattern.
Anybody have a pic of Worf from TNG where we can see his teeth? If it's cultural then Worf should have normal teeth, if its genetic then he should have the same teeth as every other Klingon.

Ian Malcolm: God creates dinosaurs. God destroys dinosaurs. God creates man. Man destroys God. Man creates dinosaurs.
Jurassic Park
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Ferengi sharpen their teeth for decoration. Quark had an electric tooth sharpener for precisely that purpose. It's a cultural thing.

I have no idea what the hell was supposed to be going on in Rom's mouth... he must've run into stuff a lot when he was a kid.
Anybody have a pic of Worf from TNG where we can see his teeth? If it's cultural then Worf should have normal teeth, if its genetic then he should have the same teeth as every other Klingon.
Third column, four down.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Drooling Iguana wrote:
Actually, I remember seeing Phlox working on T'Pol's teeth in an episode of Enterprise. I don't remember which one but his instruments seemed to be pretty much the same as what a 20th/21st century dentist would use.
That just means dentists in the 23rd century are still sadistic fuckers. :P
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
JGregory32
Padawan Learner

Post by JGregory32 »

Thanks Bounty. The one in the first colum sixth row down is also good.
So aside from some staining, (Worf needs to brush more) Worf's teeth look very human.

So we have two possible races that practice cosmetic dentistry, I wonder if it's a do it yourself kinda thing or if they have professionals do it for them.

I'm leaning towards the pro's becasue I can see many ways that doing it yourself would turn out very badly.

Maybe Rom is an example of someone who tried to save a few bucks and sharpen his own teeth, possibly with Quarks tooth sharpener.

Jurassic Park
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

IIRC, Memory Alpha claimed that Rom had a better tooth sharpener then Quark, due to being their mother's favorite.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Setzer wrote:IIRC, Memory Alpha claimed that Rom had a better tooth sharpener then Quark, due to being their mother's favorite.
Yeah, Rom had a "latinum tooth sharpener" while Quark just had a chewing stick. Nog also has a tooth sharpener, which was later sold to Worf.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Best thread ever!

I bet the dentistry equipment in the Federation makes use of subspace technology.
fun/fantasy movies existed before the overrated Star Wars came out. What made it seem 'less dark' was the sheer goofy aspect of it: two robots modeled on Laurel & Hardy, and a smartass outlaw with bigfoot co-pilot and their hotrod pizza-shaped ship, and they were sucked aboard a giant Disco Ball. -adw1
Someone asked me yesterday if Dracula met Saruman and there was a fight, who would win. I just looked at this man. What an idiotic thing to say. I mean really, it was half-witted. - Christopher Lee

JKA Server 2024
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I wonder how often you get horrible dentistry mishaps in Star Trek- equipment spontaneously exploding, malevolent alien energy beings sneaking into your enamel, that sort of thing.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov