Southern California Trek XI meet

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Southern California Trek XI meet

Post by Crayz9000 »

Just checking interest here in the SoCal area for a meetup.

I'm in the San Fernando Valley. Already talked to Kynes and Wayne, who are both in LA right now, and they're up for a meet although no dates have been decided yet. Anyone else want to join in?

Also, I'm open to suggestions on theatres and showtimes.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Re: Southern California Trek XI meet

Post by Hawkwings »

I'm in. I'd prefer May 9th, and I'd be willing to shell out big bucks to see it in imax (if it's offered in imax)

Hey, maybe we can get Kanastrous to hook us up with something special? Maybe? :D
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Jack Bauer
Jedi Knight

Post by Jack Bauer »

I'm in Southern Orange County (Mission Viejo) to be exact. I'm down.
Sig by JME2
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

I'm in West Los Angeles here. Depending on when we go, I might be down for it. I've met anyone on SDNET in person before.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Jack Bauer wrote:I'm in Southern Orange County (Mission Viejo) to be exact. I'm down.
Damn son, i'm just over in Santa Margarita.

I'm interested depending on how much I get to drink before the film, the 9th is an awfully tempting date.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Jack Bauer
Jedi Knight

Post by Jack Bauer »

So what's the consensus? The 9th then? An early matinee? Early evening?

As for theaters...there's a bunch in North Orange County (Huntington Beach or the Block in Anaheim) that could be a good compromise in terms of distance.
Sig by JME2
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

The AMC at the Block at Orange sounds good. I think a (late?) matinee would be better to avoid the late crowds, plus I'm guessing a bunch of us are kind of strapped anyway...
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I'll buy Poe a second seat for his left asscheek.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

I could probably make it on the evening of the ninth.

Edit: By evening, I mean any time after about 4:30PM
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Google Maps says that it's about 32 miles from USC... Might I be able to get a ride from anyone close to me?

Fandango says: http://www.fandango.com/amc30attheblock ... e=5/9/2009

Showtimes at 2, 5, and 8. 5 would probably be best.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Be careful with the later showings because you'll have to deal with traffic to and from the Angels game from about 5:00-6:00 (6:05 start time over there). It probably wouldn't make a huge difference but I figured i'd put it out there. If it's at the block I can go damn near anytime. I might even go to Dave and Busters or do some bowling at Luck Strike before and after so that I'm sufficiently beveraged.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Do any of you think that if we get there at, say, 3:45 or 4 we'll have enough time to get a good place in line and good seats?
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Im getting there early regardless so I can perhaps visit Games Workshop and/or Alcatraz brewing Co.

Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Hawkwings wrote:
Hey, maybe we can get Kanastrous to hook us up with something special? Maybe? :D
Sorry; hit a screening last week but was only allowed one guest (and had to fight, for that...)

On the bright side I can say that it's definitely worth seeing. But you probably already figured that.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

Is this still happening?
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

As far as I know, yeah....

Where are we all planning on meeting, exactly?
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I'd be up for it, but I'll only be in California around the end of May. If you lot see it by then, then I'll just have to see it with the SDN New Yorkers ;)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Guys,

By the way, here's the complete list of showtimes:

10:00am, 11:00am, 11:30am, Noon, 12:30pm, 1:00pm, 2:00pm, 2:30pm, 3:00pm, 3:30pm, 4:00pm, 5:00pm, 5:30pm, 6:00pm, 6:30pm, 7:00pm, 8:00pm, 8:30pm, 9:00pm, 9:30pm, 10:00pm, 11:00pm, 11:30pm, Midnight, 12:30am

Digital Presentation
7:30pm, 10:30pm

I think we should still try for the 5:00 but get there between 3 and 4 just in case. Again, I don't know the Block, so can anyone more familiar with the place suggest where we can meet?
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Well, I won't be able to make it now, unless I can get back to campus by 5PM. Which is probably no fun for the rest of you all.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Hawkwings wrote:Well, I won't be able to make it now, unless I can get back to campus by 5PM. Which is probably no fun for the rest of you all.
I wasn't aware USC had Saturday night classes...

Anyone want to do an earlier showtime, then? Or is 5 still the best time? Also, where do we want to meet, any restaurant or easy to find point of interest at the Block?
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Alcatraz Brewing CO is my personal favorite place to eat there and its really easy to find, but Dave and Busters might have a wider appeal. I dunno.

Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Ha, not class, I've got an end of the year banquet I need to go to. Besides, it's finals week, no classes for the rest of the year (tuesday for me)!
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Post by Questor »

Alcatraz Brewing sounds good. I cannot leave Irvine until at least 3:00 though.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

5:00 is still looking like a good time overall...

Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

OK, so we'll get our tickets for the 5:00 showtime as soon as we get there (I'm going to try to arrive around 3:30 to make sure), wait up at Alcatraz and then we'll all head over to the theater?