Steamed Buns...Mmmmmmm....

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Sienthal
Padawan Learner

Steamed Buns...Mmmmmmm....

Post by Sienthal »

Off on nothing in particular, I went to this really nifty restaurant/market named Yi Shen. They had these incredible steamed buns that were huge, and filled with all kinds of goodies, even a shitake (I believe that is the name, or at least something similar to that) mushroom cap. To top it off, only a dollar for one! It's one of those things you just can't resist telling other people.

Anyway, sorry about that, but I do have a question: What other oriental foods would you reccomend? I believe this place specializes in Vietnamese and Thai. Also, I heard that Yakisoba is good, any experiences?
Welcome to the Divine Empire of Ashcroft:
-Hey, you! Sending e-mail, eh?Say Cheese!
-What I say here is forever being recorded. Wonderful, isn't it?
-Jack Chick develops the most disturbing Chick tract to date. It may be viewed here: MIGHTY MORPHIN' SATAN RANGERS! GO!
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

A friend of mine once told me about vietnamese snake wine. Is there such a thing?
Supermod
Sienthal
Padawan Learner

Hmmm....

Post by Sienthal »

If so, it is probably only a name for it, and does not actually include any part of snake. That, or it might be a traditional medicine involving snake venom.
-Jack Chick develops the most disturbing Chick tract to date. It may be viewed here: MIGHTY MORPHIN' SATAN RANGERS! GO!
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Oh shit. I just found a picture of snake-wine. you won't believe it.
http://www.winternet.com/~pmiller/snakewine.html
Supermod
Sienthal
Padawan Learner

Post by Sienthal »

Damn!
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I'm pretty sure there's ake s in the snake wine, minus the "ake s". Wouldn't the snake make a mess in there after a while? Does it have to age with the wine, or is it put in there?
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Re: Steamed Buns...Mmmmmmm....

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Sienthal wrote:Off on nothing in particular, I went to this really nifty restaurant/market named Yi Shen. They had these incredible steamed buns that were huge, and filled with all kinds of goodies, even a shitake (I believe that is the name, or at least something similar to that) mushroom cap. To top it off, only a dollar for one! It's one of those things you just can't resist telling other people.

Anyway, sorry about that, but I do have a question: What other oriental foods would you reccomend? I believe this place specializes in Vietnamese and Thai. Also, I heard that Yakisoba is good, any experiences?
I have experience with yakisoba noodles. In fact, when I make okonomiyaki (Japanese pizza, basically), I fry the yakisoba with the sauce. Good stuff, I highly recommend it.

I agree, though, steamed buns rule too, especially with shitake mushrooms in it.