Grammatical/spelling errors that most annoy you.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

I think it's annoying when people complaing about other people's grammer. Actually, I think it's rather funny and somewhat ironic, even though grammar isn't necessarily the same as spelling...
Kuja wrote:'Yea' intead of 'yeah'. Is it REALLY that hard to add the letter?
I know some people spell "yay" like that. They write "Yea or nay". So it might not be the word "yeah" they're misspelling...
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Dooey Jo wrote:I think it's annoying when people complaing about other people's grammer. Actually, I think it's rather funny and somewhat ironic, even though grammar isn't necessarily the same as spelling...
Kuja wrote:'Yea' intead of 'yeah'. Is it REALLY that hard to add the letter?
I know some people spell "yay" like that. They write "Yea or nay". So it might not be the word "yeah" they're misspelling...
:? but the "Yea" in "Yea or nay," is spelt "Yea"...

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=yea
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Lindar
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lindar »

*has the strange feeling that annoys everyone with the way she writes*

well. i'm not bothered by most of it, unless i'm correcting someones paper and they have maid instead of made and other spelling errors, which they then profusely swear can't be wrong because spellcheck said the paper was fine.

And in response to Joe's comment about Capitalization. i personally don't feel that i have opinions that are backed strong enough to state "I think", "i think" seems more appropriate....

it's just what keeps me comfortable.
the longer i wait,the more i forget.the more i forget, the longer the list of desires grows. for that which is wanted is forbidden. and we all know that forbidden fruit is often the sweetest.Don'tcha wish your g/f was a witch like me?~*~AYVBABTU
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Dooey Jo wrote:I know some people spell "yay" like that. They write "Yea or nay". So it might not be the word "yeah" they're misspelling...
"So did you go to the game?"

"yea man, was great!"

This is what I'm referring to.
JADAFETWA
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Tell you what, Brits. You quit using that whole metric system thing and go back to proper Imperial measurements, and we'll consider putting the U back in colour and armour and such. :wink:
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

AniThyng wrote: :? but the "Yea" in "Yea or nay," is spelt "Yea"...

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=yea
Oh... Well never mind then...

:oops:

Knew I should've checked dictionary.com first
LordShaithis wrote:Tell you what, Brits. You quit using that whole metric system thing and go back to proper Imperial measurements, and we'll consider putting the U back in colour and armour and such. ;)
Yes, because those make so much sense :P
1 league = 3 miles (why?)
1 mile = 1760 yards (wtf?)
1 yard = 3 feet (why?!)
1 feet = 12 inches (rly?)

Whereas with the glorious metric system we have
1 kilometre = 1000 metres (makes sense)
1 metre = 10 decimetres (sensible)
1 decimetre = 10 centimetres (yup, calculations are easy with a consistent system)

The 'u' at least makes some sense, because it's not the same sound as just an 'o'. Or that's how it used to be anyway...
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

LordShaithis wrote:Tell you what, Brits. You quit using that whole metric system thing and go back to proper Imperial measurements, and we'll consider putting the U back in colour and armour and such. :wink:
Sorry, I'm American and I can't even go with that one. There is nothing proper about Imperial measurements at all. Nothing.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Kuja wrote:
Dooey Jo wrote:I know some people spell "yay" like that. They write "Yea or nay". So it might not be the word "yeah" they're misspelling...
"So did you go to the game?"

"yea man, was great!"

This is what I'm referring to.
Offhand, "yea" is a synonym for "yeah" in the dictionary, so it's not exactly wrong either way. :wink:
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Your, you're.
They're, their, there.
Its, it's.
Colons following the word "is".
Random use of semicolons.
Barrages of incorrect apostrophes.

All these things bother me to some extent. For the most part, I consider myself tolerant of most grammatical errors, however. Spelling also rarely bothers me, since my spelling is honestly atrocious.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Grand Admiral Mango
Youngling

Post by Grand Admiral Mango »

One that really annoys me is every supermarket i go into has at least one of those "10 items or less" lanes. It's "10 items or fewer" - how hard is it!?!?
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Turrent for "Turret". there is

NO SUCH THING AS A TURRENT
Metatwaddle
Jedi Council Member

Post by Metatwaddle »

Dooey Jo wrote:I think it's annoying when people complaing about other people's grammer.
I love it when that happens. Depending on how self-righteous the diatribe against "bad grammer" is, it sometimes gives me an irony-gasm. I love irony, especially when it's so beautiful it makes me want to cry.

I think I've become better at putting up with bad grammar and spelling over the past couple of years. I agree with Broomstick that grammar Nazis are terribly pretentious, but it's hard to curb that sense of smug superiority that comes with knowing that I can speak/write English better than someone else.
Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things... their number is negligible and they are stupid. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
Zeond
Youngling

Post by Zeond »

The one that annoys me to no end is when people write "liek" instead of "like." I really don't know why but it REALLY bugs the hell out of me so much that some people have taken to doing in purpose when chatting with me.
Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy
55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.
The Aliens
Keeper of the Lore
Location: hovering high up above, making home movies for the folks back home.

Post by The Aliens »

Effect is a noun, Affect is a verb. Get it straight.
| Lorekeeper | EBC |
| SEGNOR | Knights |

..French....................Music..................
|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|
.................Comics...................Fiction..
Patrick Ogaard
Jedi Master

Post by Patrick Ogaard »

The Aliens wrote:Effect is a noun, Affect is a verb. Get it straight.
Of course, you can also effect changes, and you can have flat affect, so it's not cut and dried.
drachefly
Jedi Master

Post by drachefly »

... and all four are different words. Furthermore, 'affect' is pronounced differently as noun and verb (as a noun, the stress falls on the first syllable).
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

General Zod wrote:Back on topic, the biggest things that annoy me is when people spell "ridiculous", "rediculous". In this case, there is no cultural excuse for getting it wrong.
This is becoming one of my pet hates, and I've been seeing a lot of it lately.
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
Winston Blake
Sith Devotee

Post by Winston Blake »

I tend to be pretty apathetic about spelling and grammar, I don't have a problem when i can see that its a simple mistake or typo, but sometimes it really gets to me when people mess up the actual thoughts behind the misspelled words. E.g. i remember one time a friend of my sister's asked me what i had "installed for the weekend" (pronounced like that, supposed to be 'in store'). I mean for crying out loud, what the fuck is their internal monologue like when somebody actually knows what words mean but still uses them where they make no sense at all?

However, reading this thread gave me some mistakes that always strike me:
'I could care less' instead of 'I couldn't care less'
'canon vs cannon' (e.g. x beats y because of SW cannon)

...and this little gem- 'irregardless'.

It's ironic that, being informal and on the internet, there are so many little mistakes in this thread already. In fact i've probably made some too.
Robert Gilruth to Max Faget on the Apollo program: “Max, we’re going to go back there one day, and when we do, they’re going to find out how tough it is.”
SoX
Padawan Learner

Post by SoX »

Check this out:

On a bus in sheffield. :S.

I love camera phones, so handy when you want to catch a moment of stupidity.
"groovy" - Ash, Evil Dead 2.
"no prizes for guessing 'the colour of the grass on the otherside' or the time on the moon" - Either Nick, Rye or Tony.
"your pills your grass your tits your ass"
" i pitty teh poor foo's that have to suffer Troy's anti-plan field"
"Escaped mental patients make better lovers" - Graffiti near Uni.