Do you 'search on the internet' or 'Google it?'

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Let's have a poll, just for kicks.

Yes, I am one of those people! I regularly use at least one of those brand names in that way, and I'm not annoying!
61%
No, I'm not one of those people. All vacuums, tissues, search engines, etc. were NOT created to be equal. Is it really that hard to say "copy machine" or "tissue?"
27%
Other: I find everyone and everything annoying, especially Eggo waffles.
12%

Total votes: 82

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Well, I come from a country where every SUV is a "Jeep" and every brandy is a cognac. :P

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Re: Do you 'search on the internet' or 'Google it?'

Post by Chardok »

Zaia wrote:Do you...

Search or Google?
Copy or Xerox?
Vacuum or Hoover?
Use tissues or Kleenex?
Eat waffles or Eggos?

I'm sure there are others, so feel free to add to the list. Are you one of those people who use brand names to refer to all objects of that variety or of the actions that brand name item performs?

If so, do you realize how annoying you are? :P
I googled Xerox machine, Vacuumed the carpet, blew my nose with kleenex, and eat waffles.

Also, I only use Band-aids. (Forgot about that one, Z. :P)
Hardy
Padawan Learner

Post by Hardy »

Zaia wrote:Search or Google?
I Google, but more because I like not dealing with gratuitous and menacing graphics, and the fact that Google is always constantly improving.

Before Google became a phenomenon, I 'searched the internet'.
Copy or Xerox?
I use both interchangably.
Vacuum or Hoover?
Niether, since there isn't a vacuum cleaner in the house hold. Otherwise, I call them "vacuums", which is a little misleading. Sometimes I refer them as "that noise".
Use tissues or Kleenex?
Kleenex. I use "tissue" in reference to anything else that's semi-permeable.
Eat waffles or Eggos?
Waffles.

I also use "band-aids" to refer to the adhesive strips that cover minor cuts. I use the ambiguous "soda" to describe black, carbonated fluid, but since there are noticable differences between brands, I sometimes refer to them by name. I do have a nasty habit of referring to generic supermarket goods by the name of the products that lead the industry (possibly to condole myself for being too cheap to have the actual brand). Of course, I never refer to substances developed in a laboratory by their proper multi-syllabic names, but rather by the name they're marketed under. I refer to any large toy water gun as a "Super Soaker" and fully posable military-themed toys as "G.I. Joes".
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

Sometimes, sometimes not.

Hoover, for me, is virtually a word in it's own right meaning "to suck up". :)

Oddly enough after working a long time in a cafe that sells only pepsi I've got into the habit of asking for "diet pepsi" by default, even when they only sell "diet coke" (or worse yet, "diet roller cola"). :)
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Zaia wrote:Do you...

Search or Google?
I search Google. :P
Copy or Xerox?
Copy.
Vacuum or Hoover?
Vacuum.
Use tissues or Kleenex?
I swap back and forth.
Eat waffles or Eggos?
LEGGO MY EGGO!:mrgreen:
JADAFETWA
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Google
Copy or Xerox?
Copy
Vacuum or Hoover?
If I said I had to Hoover the floor, I think I would have to stab myself to death with a fork.
Use tissues or Kleenex?
Mixture of both.
Eat waffles or Eggos?
Waffles.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Man of Google, apart from that half of the brand names (Kleenex, eggos) are quite unknown to me, being a barbarian from oversea. :wink:
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
General Brock
Jedi Council Member

Post by General Brock »

I usually use a generic term, but a corporate infringement usually pops up now and again for common items like kleenex or xerox, because that's how I first learned of the concepts.
WyrdNyrd
Jedi Knight

Post by WyrdNyrd »

I never use any of these terms, but that's just 'cos I'm anal-retentive.

Usage of trade-names seems to vary by culture.

Very few people in South Africa use Xerox or Hoover in this fashion, although it does happen occasionally. But we do use the terms Coke, Kleenex and Walkman a lot. And of course, we have never heard of "Eggo".

Some mainly local examples are "Cadac" for "gas barbecue", "Disprin" for "headache tablet", "Jacuzzi" for "hot tub with bubbles", and "HTH" for "swimming-pool chlorine".

I believe "Biro" substitutes for "ballpoint pen" in Blighty. Any Brits care to corroborate/deny?
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

WyrdNyrd wrote: I believe "Biro" substitutes for "ballpoint pen" in Blighty. Any Brits care to corroborate/deny?
You are correct. It's just a damn sight easier than saying "ballpoint pen" and yes, I know "pen" is easier than either, but sometimes you want to be specific about what type of pen you want. :)

I don't know why it would bother anyone to use a brand name that's popularly used. If anyone started ranting to me about it I'm sure I'd look at them in a bemused fashion and perhaps invite them to pucker up and kiss my bum cheeks. ;)
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

Do you 'search on the internet' or 'Google it'?
Yes. You can search the internet on any search site (well, not really, but you can search the search engine's databases, at least), but you cannot google from Altavista. Google isn't the only search engine I use, so I do both. I never use brand names for stuff unless I actually mean that particular brand. Doing otherwise could lead to strange misunderstandings; "this is a Doom called Quake III"...
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
thejester
Jedi Council Member

Post by thejester »

Google it, generally; most stuff only requires that. If I think someone should use other search engines, I'll name them; so my answer is I don't say 'search the internet'.
I love the smell of September in the morning. Once we got off at Richmond, walked up to the 'G, and there was no game on. Not one footballer in sight. But that cut grass smell, spring rain...it smelt like victory.

Dynamic. When [Kuznetsov] decided he was going to make a difference, he did it...Like Ovechkin...then you find out - he's with Washington too? You're kidding.
- Ron Wilson
kheegster
Jedi Council Member

Post by kheegster »

Depends on the context...taking for example instant noodles:

In UK, it's 'pot noodles'
In US, it's 'ramen'
In Malaysia (and India, my friends tell me), it's 'Maggi'

Obviously if I'm going to persist calling instant noodles 'Maggi' as I have done for most of my life, I'd only do it back home and nowhere else.

I sometimes get irritated when Americans ask me to 'Xerox' something, when virtually every single photocopier I've used outside the US were NOT made by Xerox.
Articles, opinions and rants from an astrophysicist: Cosmic Journeys
LaserRifleofDoom
Padawan Learner

Post by LaserRifleofDoom »

I use "google" and "search the internet" depending on context.

I always vacuum, never hoover.

I usually use kleenex, but the occasional tissue happens.

I eat waffles. Eggo is the devil.

Xerox and copy mean the same thing.
The Technology of Peace!
Mrs Kendall
Sith Marauder

Post by Mrs Kendall »

Search/Google depending on what I feel like saying that day ;)
Copy or Xerox?
I Photocopy, my documents
Vacuum or Hoover?
I Vacuum the house
Use tissues or Kleenex?
I use the word Kleenex, no matter what brand it is..even if I'm using toilet paper to blow my nose.. just a bad habit I guess ;)
Eat waffles or Eggos?
Waffles.

I still use Walkman as well and I only use band aid brand bandaids so I always call them bandaids anyway (hey, they're the only ones that stay on when you wash.)

So I guess I'm only somewhat annoying :P ;)
Macunaima
Padawan Learner

Post by Macunaima »

Isn't "Scotch tape" and "durex" also used as generic terms for adeshive tape? I believe those names were trademarks of 3M, but I'm not sure... I know that is a condom brand in UK, anyway. The use of durex (for tape) and band-aid as generic term for those kind of products is already very common in Brazil; xerox is used as a verb as well, but not Google, at least not yet.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

I still don't know why people say "scotch tape" when "tape" or "clear tape" works just fine. You can even say "duck (duct) tape" and "black (electrical) tape".
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I google, I use kleenex, I also use DUCK tape, I Copy, and waffles are tasty because Eggo's are completly diffrent from Waffles, waffles taste good.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Only Google and coke, otherwise I use what comes to mind.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Added a few more to the OP in case more people answer my questions one by one. :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

Post by LapsedPacifist »

I've taken to asking for "cola" given that a particular easting establishment may have Coke, Pepsi, or RC(carried by McMenamins) and I was tired of informing them that I didn't care and bring me my soda. Doesn't help they still ask me about specific brands.

LP
Ogrek is beyond strategy.

<- Avatar from Dr. Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Zaia wrote:Added a few more to the OP in case more people answer my questions one by one. :D
eh, what the hell.

Search or Google? - Google it.
Copy or Xerox? - copy it.
Vacuum or Hoover? - vacuum it
Use tissues or Kleenex? - either one.
Eat waffles or Eggos? - waffles. eggos are fake waffles.
Drink soda/pop or Coke? - soda.
Use bandages or Band-Aids? - another where it can be either or.
Use clear/sticky tape or Scotch tape? - scotch tape. I tend to associate some brand names with generic products, and others vice versa. Largely depends on whichever one I grew up using the most.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Google. Because I use Google.
Copy or Xerox?
Copy.
Vacuum or Hoover?
Er, neither, if I can help it. :wink:

But if I did, it'd be vacuum. I've never heard someone say they were going to "Hoover" something. Not even as a sick joke, alas. :(
Use tissues or Kleenex?
Tissues.
Eat waffles or Eggos?
If I'm actually eating them, Eggos. Like Google above, it's because I really am eating Eggos. I suppose I've had waffles, too, and I refer to them as such.
Drink soda/pop or Coke?
None of the above.

Sprite, 7-Up, Sierra Mist, and Cherry Coke for me.
Use bandages or Band-Aids?
Band-Aids.
Use clear/sticky tape or Scotch tape?
Assuming I actually bother to say it that fully, generally clear tape. But more often it's just plain tape.
I'm sure there are others, so feel free to add to the list. Are you one of those people who use brand names to refer to all objects of that variety or of the actions that brand name item performs?
Only sometimes, but that's generally because I really am using the aforementioned brandname. On Band-Aids it's just been so ingrained into me that I'll say "Get me a Band-Aid" or something, even if it's a generic brand.
Why exactly is it annoying, anyway?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

I can't vote, since the choices are too limited.
Search, because I usually use Yahoo out of habit.
Zaia wrote:Copy or Xerox?
Photocopy, because Xerox is nigh-mythical over here. :P
Zaia wrote:Vacuum or Hoover?
Actually, in my house most household-related chores are referred to with the context-specific word 'do.' I.E. "I'll do the dishes." Or "I'm going to do the carpet in a minute."
Zaia wrote:Use tissues or Kleenex?
Handkerchiefs. I don't know of a world-recognised Hankie brand, though...
Zaia wrote:Eat waffles or Eggos?
Neither, apart from once on a trip to Seattle.
Zaia wrote:Drink soda/pop or Coke?
Diet Coke, for 2 reasons;
1. I only drink Coke anyway, and
2. Being Diabetic it's fairly important to make sure of what I'm getting.
Zaia wrote:Use bandages or Band-Aids?
Band-Aids, despite the fact that the most common brand where I live is Elastoplast. It just rolls off the tongue more, I suppose.
Zaia wrote:Use clear/sticky tape or Scotch tape?
Sticky tape.
Tinkerbell
Jedi Master

Post by Tinkerbell »

Coke, Band-Aids, and Scotch Tape. I had no idea Jacuzzi was a brand name....

And come to think of it, I dont think I've ever eaten an Eggo waffle...
Darth Wong wrote:The American "family values" agenda is simple: alter the world so that you can completely ignore your child and still be confident that he is receiving the same kind of Christian upbringing that you would give him if you weren't busy.