2001 A space odyssey explained.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Mr. B
Jedi Knight

2001 A space odyssey explained.

Post by Mr. B »

Right here

This thing blew my mind. But I was high when I saw it. Comments.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

I've seen that site... rather clever animation, and a decent summary of the themes 2001 presents. A good site to visit for those confused by the movie (I know it sure confused me the first time I saw it :shock: ).
I'm a trolling moron and my E-mail is mbiddinger@mchsi.com
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

I'd pretty much figured out that 2001 was depicting the drama of human evolution and wrote that into a Silver Anniversary review of the movie for a fanzine I was editor of back in 2001. A bit obvious, really, but it doesn't lessen my appreciation for the movie as a work of art.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Dooey Jo
Sith Devotee

Post by Dooey Jo »

And I always thought the film was just meant to an excuse to show as many state-of-the-art special effects as economically possible...

Well, anyway, the book makes more sense than the film. And it says HAL got crazy because of guilt that he had lied to Dave and Frank about the mission's true purpose and that's why he made the errors. He didn't see the humans as boring apes (why would he feel guilty about lying to boring apes?), but he did seem them as a threat to his existence when they decided to turn him off. So he acted out of self-defense. Though I can't remember if those scenes were depicted differently in the movie...
"Nippon ichi, bitches! Boing-boing."
Mai smote the demonic fires of heck...

Faker Ninjas invented ninjitsu
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

Pretty good. I got most of the themes myself though (so I don't feel totally stupid).

My personal belief about HAL is that he killed the crew because he made a mistake about the failure of the comm system. Since he's supposed to be infalible he couldn't take it that he was wrong and killed the crew to cover it up.

My friend Paul is of the different opinion that HAL killed the crew because he believed he was the most superior being and only he deserved to meet the monolith. Though IIRC HAL is unaware of the nature of the mission and even comments to Poole and Bowman about the strange secrecy surrounding the mission. Naturally argue this from time to time.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

No, HAL had full and complete knowledge of the nature of the mission.
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

Ah well, its been a while since I've seen it.
The Cleric
BANNED

Post by The Cleric »

Read the other novels too. They explain quite a bit.
{} Thrawn wins. Any questions? {} Great Dolphin Conspiracy {} Proud member of the defunct SEGNOR {} Enjoy the rythmic hip thrusts {} In my past life I was either Vlad the Impaler or Katsushika Hokusai {}
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

DocHorror wrote:
Ah well, its been a while since I've seen it.
Actually, IIRC that was at the bottom of the problem in the first place. HAL had complete knowledge but wasn't supposed to tell Bowman or-what was the name of the other guy again?-about it, which went against his core programming.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Yeah, I got some of that from watching it, like the masters of Earth being babies in space. But a lot of the symbols just went past me.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Loner
Jedi Knight

Post by Loner »

Not bad, but why did they have Bowman wearing an earring? I didn't get the meaning the of the film the first time but more watchings and reading this summary at filmsite.org helped a lot. Though I notice the summary gives more detail than the flash video.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

DocHorror wrote:My personal belief about HAL is that he killed the crew because he made a mistake about the failure of the comm system. Since he's supposed to be infalible he couldn't take it that he was wrong and killed the crew to cover it up.
My opinion was that the comm system was actually a set-up on HAL's part, for a few reasons. First, HAL and the entire series of his AI type were described as having a perfect operational record, I tend to think that the probability of his making a good-faith error is pretty low. Second, it's terribly convenient in that it took the communications system off-line during the period in which he was planning to kill the crew.

In the novel 2001 and successive books in the series, it was revealed that HAL was under "stress" because he was being forced to lie to the human crew, and that this led to the incident. I think his reasoning went like this:
The mission wais of great importance to humanity and HAL was instructed not to inform Bowman or Poole of the details of the mission. Obviously they were not to be told because there was some reason to believe that their performance would be impaired. Poole and Bowman were both trained to the same standards and by the same organization as the hibernating crew members--logically HAL would have reason to think that the B crew would perform any more successfully under the conditions. The success of the mission was HAL's prime directive for the mission, even (as Clarke states at one point, don't know the ref.) more important than the survival of the crew. For HAL, the answer would be clear. Exterminate the human crew and finish the mission yourself. Egomania isn't even involved here, its simple logic. HAL is capable of completing the mission himself and has never made a mistake, while the crew is merely human and is in fact not entirely trusted by the command itself!
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Pablo Sanchez wrote:
DocHorror wrote:My personal belief about HAL is that he killed the crew because he made a mistake about the failure of the comm system. Since he's supposed to be infalible he couldn't take it that he was wrong and killed the crew to cover it up.
My opinion was that the comm system was actually a set-up on HAL's part, for a few reasons. First, HAL and the entire series of his AI type were described as having a perfect operational record, I tend to think that the probability of his making a good-faith error is pretty low. Second, it's terribly convenient in that it took the communications system off-line during the period in which he was planning to kill the crew.

In the novel 2001 and successive books in the series, it was revealed that HAL was under "stress" because he was being forced to lie to the human crew, and that this led to the incident. I think his reasoning went like this:
The mission wais of great importance to humanity and HAL was instructed not to inform Bowman or Poole of the details of the mission. Obviously they were not to be told because there was some reason to believe that their performance would be impaired. Poole and Bowman were both trained to the same standards and by the same organization as the hibernating crew members--logically HAL would have reason to think that the B crew would perform any more successfully under the conditions. The success of the mission was HAL's prime directive for the mission, even (as Clarke states at one point, don't know the ref.) more important than the survival of the crew. For HAL, the answer would be clear. Exterminate the human crew and finish the mission yourself. Egomania isn't even involved here, its simple logic. HAL is capable of completing the mission himself and has never made a mistake, while the crew is merely human and is in fact not entirely trusted by the command itself!
That wasn't quite it. HAL didn't plan to kill the crew until he lip-read Bowman and Poole planning to disconnect him. Originally, it was Mission Control which was the problem, hence he attempted to cut off all contact with the superiors who put him in the dilemma in the first place. Then the crew became the threat not only to the mission but to his very survival. That's when HAL decided to kill them all.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)