Porsche Cayenne

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Was anybody else remined by the Canyonero from Simpsons?

And why'd they name it after a pepper.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Dahak wrote: It's been tested for offroad purposes. It is no Defender, but it won't stick in the mud.
The whole car has a adaptable ground clearing (on freeways it automatically lowers itself above 120km/h), and of course is pumped with electronic systems to ensure it is maneuvreable even in extreme situations.
Most SUV's have and have had suspension that lowers at high speed. They still flip far more easily then any car.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

This Porsche has been out for ages over here and yes, like all SUVs, I only ever see women driving them who have a couple of kids and never go off-road.

Which is just as well. The newest pseudo-4x4 to come out of the BMW X3; the 3 Series version of the X5. It was reviewed on Top Gear last week and frankly, it can't handle even the most basic of off-roading courses. Jeremy Clarkson simply asked why people didn't buy - for nearly the same price - a standard 3 Series estate or even the new Jag X-Type estate which can handle off-road better than this 4x4.
Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee
Location: 6 hr 45 min R.A. and -16 degrees 43 minutes declination

Post by Sir Sirius »

Linky, check out the video titled First of its Kind. It is so pompous and corny that it's truly frightening.
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

The Porsche Cayenne is actually just a souped-up, restyled version of the VW Touareg, which doesn't look half-bad to me:

"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
IRG CommandoJoe
Sith Devotee

Post by IRG CommandoJoe »

Does anyone find the first few lines of the commercial stupid? Particularly the parts in bold:

"There is nothing quite like the feel of being first. Number one. Numero uno. The standard that everyone would be measured against. It's not that being second is so bad...it's just that it's not first. And well, it's not as much fun. And it could be said that no one loves being first more than Porsche."

And the way he delivers the lines and the flim clips they chose makes it feel like a great documentary about some noble and awe-inspiring historical event, when it's really just a....fucking....car commercial! :evil:
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him? -Obi-Wan Kenobi

"In the unlikely event that someone comes here, hates everything we stand for, and then donates a big chunk of money anyway, I will thank him for his stupidity." -Darth Wong, Lord of the Sith

Proud member of the Brotherhood of the Monkey.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

I think the reason they called it the Cayenne is because it sounds exotic and Italian? :lol:
Personally, it's a waste of money. If I wanted a Porsche, I'd get a Carrera 4 or something. On the other hand, if I got a Hummer H2, I'd get it so I could slap some nice 28" wheels with some Pirelli rubber, get a nice Alpine sound and video system in there, and a place to hook up my blender. :D People don't buy SUVs for their off-road "capability," they get it to say "I'm better than you, I make more money than you, and I'm gonna run your ugly ass car over" without opening their mouths. That's the purpose behind the Escalade by Cadillac. Everyone wants a big status symbol, and since Cadillac is a big one, let's slap it onto a big vehicle. And then make a truck version.... :roll:
XXXI
Dennis Toy
BANNED

Post by Dennis Toy »

And those who posted pics of the horror known as the Aztec shall die a slow and painful death.
those who wish a horrible death upon me shall have a thousand borg drones infected with the andromeda strain, the t'a'uos herpes and the face of Captain Janeway grafted upon them running towards their houses with plasma flamethrowers.
You wanna set an example Garak....Use him, Let him Die!!
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Phantasee wrote:snip People don't buy SUVs for their off-road "capability," they get it to say "I'm better than you, I make more money than you, and I'm gonna run your ugly ass car over" without opening their mouths. That's the purpose behind the Escalade by Cadillac. Everyone wants a big status symbol, and since Cadillac is a big one, let's slap it onto a big vehicle. And then make a truck version.... :roll:
People like this are interesting..I drive a wee 1.3 litre Toyota Corsa, but also have acess to one of these..SUV? bunch'o'wimps :twisted:

Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Stuart Mackey wrote:
People like this are interesting..I drive a wee 1.3 litre Toyota Corsa, but also have acess to one of these..SUV? bunch'o'wimps :twisted:

http://marina.fortunecity.com/cayecalm/417/goddess.jpg
Fuck that pansy little piece of shit, this is a mans vehicle. Though I'd really like to see it with a 1000hp W16 engine, on each axle. Course, I'd also like a WRX STI with a second engine in place of the truck for the rear axle and the axle's linked by some big chains to retain consistant all wheel drive, so I might not be thinking clearly.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Stuart Mackey

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Stuart Mackey wrote:

http://marina.fortunecity.com/cayecalm/417/goddess.jpg
Fuck that pansy little piece of shit, this is a mans vehicle. Though I'd really like to see it with a 1000hp W16 engine, on each axle. Course, I'd also like a WRX STI with a second engine in place of the truck for the rear axle and the axle's linked by some big chains to retain consistant all wheel drive, so I might not be thinking clearly.
Thats nice sonny, but some of need to be able to able to traverse all terrain :P
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

--------------
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Stuart Mackey wrote:
Thats nice sonny, but some of need to be able to able to traverse all terrain :P
What if I was to add 3-D articulation in the middile of the chassis and a jet engine to bleed air into flotation bags?
Stuart Mackey

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Stuart Mackey wrote:
What if I was to add 3-D articulation in the middile of the chassis and a jet engine to bleed air into flotation bags?
jet propelled hovercraft dont qualify, sorry :wink:

--------------
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Stuart Mackey wrote: jet propelled hovercraft dont qualify, sorry :wink:
That's like saying a floating car isn't a car.
Stuart Mackey

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Stuart Mackey wrote: jet propelled hovercraft dont qualify, sorry :wink:
That's like saying a floating car isn't a car.
*narrows eyes*Ahh..but we are not talking about ordinary cars

--------------
jairyn_1
Padawan Learner
Location: OMFG!!!!11! Teh b00bees!!!!! 1111oneoneshift+one 111!11oneeleven

Post by jairyn_1 »

My question is why are SUVs a fashion accessory? They're supposed to be used for offroading. :|
+++ ISARMA + BotM + Ubiqtorate + CotK: [mew]+++

ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Join or die...
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

jairyn_1 wrote:My question is why are SUVs a fashion accessory? They're supposed to be used for offroading. :|
Because they're expensive as fuck.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Stuart Mackey

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Peregrin Toker wrote:
jairyn_1 wrote:My question is why are SUVs a fashion accessory? They're supposed to be used for offroading. :|
Because they're expensive as fuck.
its also compensation for some subconcious need, or in the case of some men ..well you know :P

--------------
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Robert Treder wrote:It's Porsche's new sportscar SUV:

Here's a pic

The selling point: it's insanely fast, but it looks like an SUV. They've become really popular, at least here in the Bay Area.
Looks like any modern car, ugly.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

His Divine Shadow wrote:
Robert Treder wrote:It's Porsche's new sportscar SUV:

Here's a pic

The selling point: it's insanely fast, but it looks like an SUV. They've become really popular, at least here in the Bay Area.
Looks like any modern car, ugly.
My grievance with the vehicle isn't due to its styling - it's due to the gross excess that is its very existance. The Cayenne is the epitome of conspicuous superfluous consumption.

And, what amazed me about the car was the fact that within a very short while of its introduction to the market, hundreds of them were purchased. This, even though it's an inefficient, nigh-useless $50K+ vehicle. It's one thing if somebody needs to buy a new car, so they buy a dopey luxury SUV to fill their needs. But in this case, there simply cannot have been that many people who needed a car and so bought the Cayenne. It's clear that many of the new Cayenne owners bought the ridiculous thing simply because they could, and they wanted to show that off.

It's not the car that's ugly; it's the owners.
And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
Robert Treder
has strong kung-fu.

Post by Robert Treder »

His Divine Shadow wrote:Looks like any modern car, ugly.
And, not every modern car is ugly. For example:

And you may ask yourself, 'Where does that highway go to?'

Brotherhood of the Monkey - First Monkey|Justice League - Daredevil|Late Knights of Conan O'Brien - Eisenhower Mug Knight (13 Conan Pts.)|SD.Net Chroniclers|HAB
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

No. They're for moms to transport kids to soccer practice. Duh. :D
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Stuart Mackey

Post by Stuart Mackey »

Robert Treder wrote:

http://www.fknr.ie/imglib/BMW/coloursex ... ver_lg.jpg
Thats not ugly..just incredibly bland, cold and far to expensive to fix ouside of warranty.

--------------
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Robert Treder wrote:

*snip BMW*
Well it's not beatifull, it doesn't appeal to me in any way, I infact dislike it's appearence, so I would have to say at best it's a car I won't be able to pick out from the homogenous masses of other cars.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
jairyn_1
Padawan Learner
Location: OMFG!!!!11! Teh b00bees!!!!! 1111oneoneshift+one 111!11oneeleven

Post by jairyn_1 »

neoolong wrote:
No. They're for moms to transport kids to soccer practice. Duh. :D
Then why do we still allow for the existence of minivans?
+++ ISARMA + BotM + Ubiqtorate + CotK: [mew]+++

ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Join or die...