PST moderation

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

PST moderation

Post by Bounty »

The Pure Star Trek forum used to have two very good mods. One of them has stepped down, the other hasn't posted since late last year.

This means that a forum which is a traditional troll magnet and will be getting a lot more traffic in less than two weeks is essentially unmoderated. So far the other mods and the regulars have kept it more-or-less on track, but if any one forum would benefit from a quick mod instatement PST would be it. Yes, I'm aware the admins are busy.

In the HoC mod polls last year Gandalf had wide support for this position and I personally think he would be perfect for the job. All he needs is to be rubberstamped.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: PST moderation

Post by Thanas »

Why not appoint both Gandalf and you to the post? We would then have two mods who know what they are doing and also live in different timezones, which is effective.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I'm up for that, but I didn't want to look like I'm angling for the job myself. To me it doesn't really matter who ends up as a mod, as long as there's someone responsible filling the position before May.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

I'd support Bounty and Gandalf for PST. I admit, I never did a good enough job cracking down on "hurf hurf, Star Trek is teh suxxorz" and "LOL no triggerguards!" spam posts, and now it really could stand a cleanup. Consider this an endorsement from the previous mod of that forum.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Or I could ask Alyeska to see to it. He was one of the better of the PST mods and is a fan of the francise. I'm in more of the mind shoring up forums that need it rather then forums that aren't heavy traffic and only require one moderator to look at to keep the wolves at bay.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

I can keep an eye on that forum. That said, one dedicated mod isn't a bad idea. We don't need a lot of coverage since it sees so little traffic. It doesn't hurt to throw out names and discuss their potential.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Ghost Rider wrote:Or I could ask Alyeska to see to it. He was one of the better of the PST mods and is a fan of the francise. I'm in more of the mind shoring up forums that need it rather then forums that aren't heavy traffic and only require one moderator to look at to keep the wolves at bay.
Aside from this all being advisory I think that having a supermod looking over the forum and a mod actually dedicated would probably be worth it since, and Bounty is definately right, we can probably expect a surge after the new film comes out.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

CmdrWilkens wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:Or I could ask Alyeska to see to it. He was one of the better of the PST mods and is a fan of the francise. I'm in more of the mind shoring up forums that need it rather then forums that aren't heavy traffic and only require one moderator to look at to keep the wolves at bay.
Aside from this all being advisory I think that having a supermod looking over the forum and a mod actually dedicated would probably be worth it since, and Bounty is definately right, we can probably expect a surge after the new film comes out.
Except it is honestly low on the priority of moderator assignments. It is one of the lowest traffic forums and even with the upswing of a new movie will hardly merit an immediate reaction when there are other holes in the moderator staff to close well before we reach the majority of the fiction forums.

I do understand it being advisory, I just don't see the immediate need of extra moderator action when there are forums that need more attention at this time.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Ghost Rider wrote:
CmdrWilkens wrote:
Except it is honestly low on the priority of moderator assignments. It is one of the lowest traffic forums and even with the upswing of a new movie will hardly merit an immediate reaction when there are other holes in the moderator staff to close well before we reach the majority of the fiction forums.

I do understand it being advisory, I just don't see the immediate need of extra moderator action when there are forums that need more attention at this time.
I would concur. The matter can wait until the volume of message traffic on that board warrants the appointment of a dedicated mod. At that point, I would have no objection to Bounty filling the post.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)