[Dicussion] Request for mod -- Limits on Refuge from PC?

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

[Dicussion] Request for mod -- Limits on Refuge from PC?

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

An extremely, overtly racist comment was recently made in the Refuge from Political Correctness. I will not even mention who made it, at the moment, I just want to know if that is considered acceptable in that thread in a way it would not be elsewhere. If it is not, I will bring it up to the Senate in this thread. If it is, we will consider the matter dropped, I hope, without naming names. But I have no intention to ignore racism against black people wherever it occurs unless it is explicitly is allowed by the board's policy--to do so when I've noticed it would be quite hypocritical and a black mark against me.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Re: [Dicussion] Request for mod -- Limits on Refuge from PC?

Post by RedImperator »

Thanks for calling attention to that. It is definitely not acceptable. I'd hold off on Senate action for the moment; this is a decision for the upper reaches of the administration.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Has the post in question been removed? Because I'm not seeing anything that immediately leaps out at me there.

EDIT thank you to the multiple plebes who were quick on the draw to answer my question.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I'm having the same problem. I'd assume it was a recent post sense nothing in the last couple months screams 'racist' to me. Perhaps it is just me.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

It was HOSed and locked, Knife.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

As RedImp said it's a matter for the administration, I'll forbear from exercising my vast Senatorial powers (heh), and simply state my views.

In my opinion, crossing the line in such a manner merely because you think you're in a designated "PC refuge" is, as defences go, ludicrous. After all, hate speech isn't merely "politically incorrect" - it crosses the line into harassment, and should be treated with deserved contempt. It didn't help that the poster in question was on his way out even before that incident.

Apparently, the title of a thread provides no protection against enforcement of board rules. Nor, IMHO, should it.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:It was HOSed and locked, Knife.

Indeed, I actually read that before this thread but didn't correlate it with the OT. Thank you to Zod for connecting the dots, per say.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red