[Coliseum] Death Penalty?

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

[Coliseum] Death Penalty?

Post by SirNitram »

A plebe brought up the potential for a Coliseum debate on the US death penalty, no doubt spurred on by the recent ruling in SCOTUS. For or against, fellow Senators and Governers?(Not the penalty, for or against having the Coliseum used to debate it.)
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Too much about the death penalty is tied up in personal morals
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I agree that this is a worthy topic for the debate, regardless of the subjective assessments issue.

There are many issues with the death penalty regarding the psychological effects on killers, victims and the general population; especially interesting would be discussing whether the death penalty leads to relatives being more keen to hide the criminal, or whether the death penalty leads to more motive for the criminal to kill a rape victim.

Also the DNA examination issue - I'd love to hear arguments against executing people whose crime in case of rape is proven by DNA exam. There's really no failure chance here.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Stas Bush wrote:Also the DNA examination issue - I'd love to hear arguments against executing people whose crime in case of rape is proven by DNA exam. There's really no failure chance here.
Actually, I can name three instances where DNA can lead one astray:

1) Identical twins - they will, of course, have identical DNA. If an accused criminal has such a twin you will need to make sure that you have the correct individual in such a set via means other than DNA.

2) Chimeras - these are people who actually have two sets of DNA, some cells having one set and some another. So, if the sperm/fluids shed during rape has a different DNA set than those in a typical buccal swab or in the bloodstream you could wind up with a false negative. There have been a couple of custody cases that wound up in the US courts over this very issue so it's not entirely theoretical, it really does happen even if it is rare.

3) Planting of false evidence - this would require a criminal with greater than average foresight, but really, what would stop someone from planting false DNA evidence to cover or confuse evidence?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Number one and number two can be found out, checked and either aquit or subjected to irrelevance with testing the DNA in the first place. If you're identical twin was in Europe when you supposedly did the crime, it's of little help to you.

But I digress, it is a cool idea.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

also in the chimera cases we've had people who have had bone marrow transfusions. Thus they have different blood DNA then they have semen DNA....

which I guess means that my step-sister could frame her half brother for the murder of her abusive ex-spouse, because she's got his DNA and he's already in the system for a crime he's committed....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Broomstick wrote: Actually, I can name three instances where DNA can lead one astray:

1) Identical twins - they will, of course, have identical DNA. If an accused criminal has such a twin you will need to make sure that you have the correct individual in such a set via means other than DNA.

2) Chimeras - these are people who actually have two sets of DNA, some cells having one set and some another. So, if the sperm/fluids shed during rape has a different DNA set than those in a typical buccal swab or in the bloodstream you could wind up with a false negative. There have been a couple of custody cases that wound up in the US courts over this very issue so it's not entirely theoretical, it really does happen even if it is rare.

3) Planting of false evidence - this would require a criminal with greater than average foresight, but really, what would stop someone from planting false DNA evidence to cover or confuse evidence?
It gets better. The UK DNA Database, the largest in the world, has been under fire for not holding whole genomic sequences. They keep only select groupings of base pairs, which drastically lowers the probability of a totally unique genetic fingerprint being on file. It is possible that a sufficient number of codons stored match that of another person being tested. While it is a small risk given the localised nature of such police investigations, it can still give ammunition against the infallible DNA test idea (again, like fingerprinting, many forensic scientists will tell you 100% accuracy is impossible anyway).
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

IIRC we enforce some kind of penalty on the losing party for these debates, correct? In that case, given the subjective nature of the topic, I would propose that we offer the competitors the right to wave punishment for losing. Seems a bit odd to me to punish someone who claims an objective fact is wrong as harshly as we do someone who claims a subjective fact is wrong.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

There's a punishment for losing? I thought we decided against that idea, for that very reason infact.
:D
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

I have nothing against such a debate in the coliseum, assuming there are coherent voices on each side.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Alyrium versus Ossus would be rather impressive to watch.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

I would support another official debate, if only to get the debates going. The subject isn't one I'm interested in, but that doesn't make it illegitimate.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

If anyone so desires to step up, it would be a fascinating debate to observe.
JADAFETWA
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Spyder wrote:There's a punishment for losing? I thought we decided against that idea, for that very reason infact.
We did decide against punishing the loser for a number of reasons, one of which being that it is quite possible to debate well and still lose. We kicked around the idea of a reward for the winner such as a temporary title, but never settled on anything.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I support this notion.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Though "Death Penalty" and "Flavian Collasium" kinda go hand in hand....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin