[Member] May Nominations

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

[Member] May Nominations

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Connor MacLeod wrote:I'll re-nominate Ted C again.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I'll nominate Coffee, even though I believe we've got enough senators anyways....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Ted C
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Links to what they've done, please?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

Okey-doke.

Simply to get a feel for Ted, the man, I'd like to direct the Senate to his blog.

His other off-site work includes an incredible "blast intensity calculator" which, like Michael's calculators, is an invaluable tool for sci-fi analysis.

Many of you are undoubtedly Babylon 5 fans, but I'm not sure how familiar you are with Babtech On The Net (see my sig). Brian wrote the vast majority of the site many years ago, before this BBS was even a twinkle in our Emperor's eye.

However, Brian was never happy with his own take on the Earth Alliance. He rarely swears, but he told me he thought his EA page was "shitty" and embarrassing.

Brian's modest and overly-critical of himself, as many great people often are. The old EA pages were actually quite good, but the current EA section, the majority for which Ted can take credit, is outstanding. Babtech's readership has fallen off, but the Earth Alliance pages remain some of Babtech's most-read. Ted is working on a comprehensive EA fighter/Starfuries page for the rest of the Babtech crew's perusal at this moment. I've only glanced at the document, but it looks fantastic.

That's all well and good, some of you might be thinking, but what about SDNet? There are, after all, plenty of smart people out there *gestures to the non-BBS populus*. Just beause a couple of our Senators know 'em doesn't mean those people need be Senators as well, eh?

I'd argue that Ted's work on Babtech is very much relevant; anyone here who's debated with rabid Babylon 5 fans will attest to that.

But hey: if a Senator so desires, he/she may feel free to regard all that as little more than a lengthy preamble -- a testament to Ted's intelligence and the paradigms he holds in high regard.

What cannot be ignored is Ted's input on SD.net proper, acknowledged as a contributor here and here.

More interesting still is the number of times Michael includes Ted's thoughts in the Canon Database.

By my count, Ted's name is mentioned in twenty-two entries. By comparison, Wayne's credited in "only" 18. (Slacker :D :lol:)

I shouldn't have to spell out why that's significant. In short, Michael doesn't share his commentaries with fools.

Ted's most recent activity seems focused mostly on the SDnet Wiki. Someone -- Senator Gerhls (Connor), I believe -- noted this in an earlier nomination discussion. Later, someone seemingly unimpressed by that said, "But Stark and Sheppard are its administrators" (or words to that effect).

That has no bearing on the site's most active and intelligent contributors. Wiki administrators are pitbulls ready to pounce on foolish changes and bullshitting.

Meanwhile, as you can see from this list of recent changes at the Wikia, Ted seems one of the chief parties interested in fleshing the thing out. As user BountyHunterSAx puts it, "I just wanted to say I'm really impressed by the quality and quantity of your edits. The wiki really wouldn't have been the same without you, thank you!".

As for meritorious posts on the BBS itself ... frankly, where should I even begin? As I said before, it's time-consuming to dig through over 3,000 posts, and especially difficult to pick "winners" when you think they're all pretty damned good.

I guess I'll echo the threads Adam cited the last time Ted was nominated. I will also note that, when Senator I. Overlord nominated Senator Eleas, the former supported his motion with three threads. That, plus the rest of my footwork *points to the text preceding this*, should be good enough for Ted as well:

Ted analyzes RSA's asteroid destruction calculations

Ted on Federation communism

Ted on martial arts

If anyone doesn't find this compelling, please say so. My time runs short, so that will have to do for now.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
-Ole' Shakey's "Richard II," Act III, scene ii.
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

That's a "third" on Ted, incidentally ;D (Actually, my "second" came in the April vote thread, some 3 hours before this thread was created; so, it's ... well, it's some number, and it's affirmative :D)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
-Ole' Shakey's "Richard II," Act III, scene ii.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

TedC is now officially nominated. There is one other nomination on the floor (with no second). Nominations and seconds will be accepted through the 24th.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

I might add that in the last thread I gave a bunch of examples of Ted's debating. Was that forgotten or ignored or something? : :?