[Discussion] Custom title for Coliseum losers

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Perhaps instead of a string of "battle banners" or medals, you can simply accumulate, I don't know... levels or something. Or simply a rank. You get a "Freeman" bar, like a Senator bar for your first win, for your next win that's replaced with a "Yeoman" bar, next win it turns into something else, etc.

We can go with the Roman-esque titles or SW Imperial ranks keeping with the Star Destroyer theme.

Award bars that change with your "level" prevents people from collecting long obnoxious and difficult add-on images that clutter up the account and slow down 56k users.

Can we double-stack bars so that Senators, Governors, etc can be recognised for participation?

EDIT-- we can also come with an award system if people "level up" to a high degree, like maybe they get Edit ability at some point. Theoretically, someone who does consistently well is a person who's got their ducks in a row, and we can trust them with Edit ability.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

I find myself in the camp that wants to see this on a case-by-case basis, be it reward or punishment.

If someone feels something should be done, perhaps an aftermath discussion thread can be started with a proposal and quotes to support said proposal. The reward/punishment discussion and vote could then continue just as any other measure is done here.
Coyote wrote:This brings up an issue we've discussed before-- is there a way that the board software can support "battle ribbons" or "medals" being displayed somewhere on a person's account, such as under their AV or as an accessory part of a sig banner?
Check out your "Senator" tag. That's the feature you're looking for. However, I don't know how many graphical tags each user can have.
Later...
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Mad wrote:Check out your "Senator" tag. That's the feature you're looking for. However, I don't know how many graphical tags each user can have.
I was thinking along those lines. We've discussed this sort of thing before, from SIG banners and those avatar stars to little graphics.... but we never really found a answer.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
seanrobertson
Jedi Council Member

Post by seanrobertson »

LadyTevar wrote:A question from the Peons:
:lol: Wicked sense of humor at work :)
Darth Servo wrote:
Tev wrote:Personally, I would rather see the winner rewarded with his Laurels than the loser jeered.
Any reason we can't do BOTH?
Servo's right.

I'm still firmly among the case-by-case crowd, in any case.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, ya got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man ... and give some back.
-Al Swearengen

Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay: The worst is death, and death will have his day.
-Ole' Shakey's "Richard II," Act III, scene ii.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I would much rather give out positive rewards than negative ones - I don't want to put people off providing the rest of us with amusement if they're not certain of victory. A purely positive reward system (save perhaps for very poor showings like this first one?) seems to strike me as a better way to encourage the arena's use.

Perhaps some arena themed title-bars (though one wonders about mods and senators in this case) would be appropriate... Mirmillo, Retiarius, Thraces, Spartacus... etc. :wink:
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Peon wrote:If the Senate's all hardcore about giving out some medal or whatever, there is the precedent of Shep's little nuclear blast image under his CT and above his avatar. I don't know the mechanics of it, if it is tied into a CT or something, but it's there and wouldn't seem to interfere with the Senator/Governor ones.
Just worth passing on.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

I say we put this one hold until we have a few more bouts.

The first one was an intelligent poster versus a teenage retard. If the pattern holds, then we can do a proper titling of the losers. If it doesn't then we can discuss a reward system.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete