[VOTED] Ban Poll for DEATH

Moderator: CmdrWilkens

Should DEATH be Banned for his behavior?

Poll ended at 2006-01-04 10:53am

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 28

Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Edi wrote:My first instinct would actually to drop the heavy end of the Ban Hammer on him with utmost prejudice, but after reading the justifications of the members who as of yet oppose a ban *grits teeth* I must with extreme reluctance agree with them and vote "no".
See, this is why we have talks about things. :D
Edi wrote:For now, just title the spammer, but make it something really offensive, and preferably also revoke his avatar and sig privileges.

Edi
If we have a title vote, then further punitive actions will be a consideration.
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

No ban. If he gets a custom idiot title it should be a generic one
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

I try and err on the side of caution with these decisions. Of course, my idea of caution is just banning him.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

No. I have always understood that, unless a bannable offence takes place, there was a graduated system leading to a ban that included warnings and offensive titles of one type or another.

If, in the opinions of Staff, he has not quite done anything of a bannable nature, then procedure should be followed {he has had enough warnings, title immediatly}. Given his history, a time limit set on behaviour modification and if he fails to meet that then ban him.
Via money Europe could become political in five years" "... the current communities should be completed by a Finance Common Market which would lead us to European economic unity. Only then would ... the mutual commitments make it fairly easy to produce the political union which is the goal"

Jean Omer Marie Gabriel Monnet
--------------
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

While it would seem to be almost stylish at this point to vote no I think it bears mentioing that his behavior is far from what we should consider desireable or even fully acceptable. Thus we must obviously begin looking at what punitive measures should be taken but in the meantime I believe we shouldn't lower the ban hammer without previous punihsment excepting those situations where an egregious breech of the rules has been executed.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

My understanding of our justice system, such as it is, was that unless you were being an out and out dumbshit to mike and/or flagrently breaking rules, it was a 4 tier system.

1) Flames/counseling from other members
2) Warning from Mod
3) Title
4) Ban poll

Now he's certainly had 1 and 2, but no number 3. Now its been pointed out that he should have had one and it was just procrastination. But in real life we can't just throw people in jail and say "well, you should have had a trial, we just procrastinated, here's your cell".

So I say no.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I think a ban is a bit much right now-- but I think a definite period of probation, maybe with the custom title "ON PROBATION" would be appropriate.

If behavioral improvements don't manifest within, say, 2 months then a VI title, and if still no improvement in another 2 months, then BAN.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Coyote wrote:I think a ban is a bit much right now-- but I think a definite period of probation, maybe with the custom title "ON PROBATION" would be appropriate.

If behavioral improvements don't manifest within, say, 2 months then a VI title, and if still no improvement in another 2 months, then BAN.
I'll add that to the OP of the Titling thread should he avoid being banned.
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

In a way, DEATH has made his own leash very short. I recall when he first came here his command of English was quite poor. After people got on him for this, he improved considerably-- thus showing a ability to learn and improve.

For him to show further improvement, the bar should be set high.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

The Poll is ended and the verdict is :
Yes =8
No = 20

Therefore DEATH is not to be banned. The suggestion that he be Titled will now by put forth.

Image Image