Registration Discussion

A failed experiment whereby board users were invited to advise the Senate, and instead attempted to replace the Senate.
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Registration Discussion

Post by Zablorg »

Well if the last few minutes have been any indication, the new registration system we've been working under for a while doesn't really work, or at least, it doesn't work against trolls. Any dumbshit with an online calculator can find the answer to the math question and troll up the board on a daily basis if he put just a little bit of effort into it.

So it is here we shall discuss possible changes to the system to account for such irritations. I personally wouldn't mind going back to the moderator registration thing.
Last edited by Zablorg on 2009-01-08 07:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Re: Registration Discussion

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Seconded. Going to this anyone can join shit for the sake of convenience was the dumbest idea in the history of the board.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

This is being discussed, do not worry.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I have to say, that is a good idea. A pain it may be, but since it looks like we have their attention for the time being, we're going to have to post a Horatio at the Bridge again.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Right now, let's just turn registration OFF for a few days. Won't hurt any.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

Hotfoot wrote:Right now, let's just turn registration OFF for a few days. Won't hurt any.
I support this idea. Shut down registration for a few days, let the heat die town and all the chantards get bored and go elsewhere.

If somebody really wants to join the SDN community, they can wait a few days.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
Ohma
Jedi Knight

Post by Ohma »

So do people still have to pay for an account? Or was that what required mod attention in the first place?
Oh, Mister Darcy! <3
We're ALL Devo!
GALE-Force: Guardians of Space!
"Rarr! Rargharghiss!" -Gorn
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Turn it back on for the time being and don't accept any accounts for at least 2 weeks, by which time they'll be bored, presumably.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Ohma wrote:So do people still have to pay for an account? Or was that what required mod attention in the first place?
Nope, people don't have to pay. At least I didn't. Although I'd like it as a nice alternative- making money off trolls could be profitable enough so that the boss doesn't have to dip into his own pocket.

Maybe we should have questions about the history of Star Wars v Star Trek. A bit harder to use the net to search and find.
Kie99
Redshirt

Post by Kie99 »

Ohma wrote:So do people still have to pay for an account? Or was that what required mod attention in the first place?
You can either pay or register with a non-free e-mail address such as work/college/school/ISP.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm inclined to think it would be a bad idea to restrict membership much. I'm sure others disagree, but I feel this board is stagnant enough as it is. Keeping out trolls is all well and fine, but how high do we set the bar before we become stagnant? What should the criteria be? Their is more than one measure of intelligence, and their are many ways in which posters can make worthwhile contributions.

You'll never be able to make 100% sure no trolls ever join, short of blocking all new memberships or shutting down the forum outright. If you feel that SDN's life as an active forum has run its course, fine. But if not, is it really that hard to ban someone after the fact if they prove to be a problem?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Zablorg wrote:Well if the last few minutes have been any indication, the new registration system we've been working under for a while doesn't really work, or at least, it doesn't work against trolls. Any dumbshit with an online calculator can find the answer to the math question and troll up the board on a daily basis if he put just a little bit of effort into it.
Or someone can know high school math and still be a jackass with retarded ideas. And sometimes those who aren't great at math can make valuable contributions. Really, that particular safeguard always seemed stupid to me. Its certainly a poor garuntee against trolling.
So it is here we shall discuss possible changes to the system to account for such irritations. I personally wouldn't mind going back to the moderator registration thing.
How does that work? You mean applicants submit their application to a moderator for review or something?

Heh, now I've got this picture of someone submitting a resume of all the forums they've been on to a guy in a suit or something. :lol: But seriously, I didn't join under this system, so how does it work?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Actually, we've enjoyed a lot of new posters of late; it's been a pretty good time for new accounts. For awhile there, several months ago, it was stagnant as hell.

But then, DW also does something here that few boards do; and that is he purges members that sign up but never post, or posted maybe 2-3 times a year + ago and never posted again, that sort of thing. So I don't think there are any records to show when we've had highs & lulls in people joining.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Here's an idea, bring back the old style of moderator approved new membership and get two or three volunteers whose only function is to weed through membership requests.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Absolutely. The 'keep the dummies out' experiment is a failure, especially against organised stuff like this.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Mr. Coffee wrote:Here's an idea, bring back the old style of moderator approved new membership and get two or three volunteers whose only function is to weed through membership requests.
If we go by that system, would their be any particular criteria for these volunteers to use to determine weather to allow membership applications, or would they simply be trusted to use their best judgement?

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Mr. Coffee wrote:Here's an idea, bring back the old style of moderator approved new membership and get two or three volunteers whose only function is to weed through membership requests.
If we go by that system, would their be any particular criteria for these volunteers to use to determine weather to allow membership applications, or would they simply be trusted to use their best judgement?

Just like before the change we go with "best judgment". It keeps out obvious trolls like "anonlul" and spammers as well as having a waiting period while the applications for registration are processed so organized attacks are harder.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Invictus ChiKen
Jedi Council Member

Post by Invictus ChiKen »

Might I recommend limiting there initial posts to a certain area of the forum and after a set amount of time turn them lose. Being restricted to this area might also be used as a punishment so double bonus.
"The real ideological schism in America is not Republican vs Democrat; it is North vs South, Urban vs Rural, and it has been since the 19th century."
-Mike Wong
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

Invictus ChiKen wrote:
Might I recommend limiting there initial posts to a certain area of the forum and after a set amount of time turn them lose. Being restricted to this area might also be used as a punishment so double bonus.
And what area do you think would work well? Just about any forum can be adequetely trolled, so unless they're being confined to testing, I don't really see the point.

I'm pretty neuteral towards morons with moronic ideas getting in. They will undoubtedly get what would be coming to them. My main concern is that the current system is extraordinarily troll-friendly. Why, I could snap off five dozen accounts in a day if I put the effort in.
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Flagg wrote:

Just like before the change we go with "best judgment". It keeps out obvious trolls like "anonlul" and spammers as well as having a waiting period while the applications for registration are processed so organized attacks are harder.
What about abuse of position? To use my name as an example, let's say someone saw an application for a user named The Romulan Republic, assumed they must be a Trekky, and dismissed their application accordingly? I'm not saying that kind of thing is likely, but would their be any garuntee that people would not abuse their position?

Invictus ChiKen
Jedi Council Member

Zablorg wrote: And what area do you think would work well? Just about any forum can be adequetely trolled, so unless they're being confined to testing, I don't really see the point.

I'm pretty neuteral towards morons with moronic ideas getting in. They will undoubtedly get what would be coming to them. My main concern is that the current system is extraordinarily troll-friendly. Why, I could snap off five dozen accounts in a day if I put the effort in.
Actually that was sorta my idea. Move the Senate from system to Gallery and add two new forums to join testing in System and there we go a proving ground to keep out trolls as few trolls are known to have the patience to keep going.
"The real ideological schism in America is not Republican vs Democrat; it is North vs South, Urban vs Rural, and it has been since the 19th century."
-Mike Wong
Invictus ChiKen
Jedi Council Member

Oh now this is just getting sad!
-Mike Wong
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Flagg wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote: If we go by that system, would their be any particular criteria for these volunteers to use to determine weather to allow membership applications, or would they simply be trusted to use their best judgement?

What about abuse of position? To use my name as an example, let's say someone saw an application for a user named The Romulan Republic, assumed they must be a Trekky, and dismissed their application accordingly? I'm not saying that kind of thing is likely, but would their be any garuntee that people would not abuse their position?
That to my knowledge was never an issue in the years during which we had the registration confirmation system. Could it happen? Sure, but it's a small risk and not one I think anyone should be realistically concerned about.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Stop responding to the trolls. Report the post, IM us if you can, and leave it at that.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Ohma
Jedi Knight

Post by Ohma »

I do honestly think that the pay to register system should be back in place. It's more of a hassle, but it does keep out most of the total dickbrains, and it also helps keep the board afloat.
Oh, Mister Darcy! <3
We're ALL Devo!
GALE-Force: Guardians of Space!
"Rarr! Rargharghiss!" -Gorn