Looking for information on obscure WII topic

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Looking for information on obscure WII topic

Post by Mr Bean »

This is a personal interest matter and Thanas is free to move if he wishes but here is my problem.

Any casual student of WWII history will say that the end of the war came with Japanese surrender roughly two months after the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. With a little digging it's possible to find out that after the surrender the US dispatched occupation forces to both cities to maintain order/help the cleanup but the primary factor gathering scientific information on what happened when the weapons were used on real cities.

That I all know... But what I'm trying to find out is the Japanese response in the days and weeks leading up to the surrender and occupation. What was the Japanese response? Military units? Recovery teams? Martial law and MP brigades dispatched to the cities? What did the Japanese do in those two months before the occupation force arrived.

Online resource my googling has failed to locate (Nearly everything on Hiroshima and Nagasaki leaves out details of the official response in favor of personal stories from civilians or mentions American efforts which I can read to my hearts content.) What I'm trying to find here is what the Japanese Government and military do before the US took control, did they send army units? How many and which? Was it a military command with government officials attached or the reverse?
Thanks in advance.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Re: Looking for information on obscure WII topic

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

You are referring specifically to the Japanese government response to Hiroshima and Nagasaki, correct, and not the general response to the surrender/occupation?

I don't remember the book I read about this off the top of my head (I'll have to look at my bookshelf when I get home), but I know that both the Army and the Navy sent units to Hiroshima and Nagasaki, including teams of scientists to study the destruction (the scientists would determine the nature of the bomb was atomic; the idea that they didn't know what had hit them is a myth). However, the government did censor the newspapers to prevent widespread panic. Here is a very short article on the subject, with some citations you can check out.

Here are a couple more websites about the immediate aftermath and response.