Details of Lenin's funeral

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Details of Lenin's funeral

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

I'm fond of arguing the specifics of Stalin's funeral to dispute the assumption that he and his state were purely atheistic, among other things. The argument would probably be more compelling, however, if I could draw comparisons to Lenin's funeral procedures and call attention to any discrepancies in religious content between the two, but for all the information available on Lenin's Mausoleum there isn't much available on the actual specifics of his funeral service, unorthodox though it might've been. Was Lenin's funeral service firmly atheistic, or at least secular when compared to Stalin's?
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Re: Details of Lenin's funeral

Post by That NOS Guy »

From what I can gather there were no Russian Orthodox representatives of any kind as the procession went from The Hall of Columns to Red Square. The orchestra played secular anthems like the 'Internationale', 'You Fell Victim', and related faire. People trudged past for a few hours, and at 4 PM factory whistles, cannon, and suchlike all throughout the USSR sounded off followed by a simple radio broadcast that he was dead.