Easy Company history books

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Easy Company history books

Post by Alyeska »

Last year I picked up Stephen Ambrose's book Band of Brothers. I found it an incredibly interesting read. After I got my Kindle I purchased Band of Brothers again, then decided to pick up two more books on Easy Company.

Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters

and

Easy Company Soldier: The Legendary Battles of a Sergeant from World War II's "Band of Brothers"

I just finished Winters book over the weekend and it was interesting to see his take on the history and the differences between what he lingered on and what Ambrose talked about. Now I am reading the book by Malarkey. A passage caught my eye.

Assault on Foye after Bastogne was secured.
Our platoon continued to work our wan in. We found cover behind an outbuilding. I heard German gunfire from an adjacent outbuilding, apparently coming from a single soldier. Breathing heavily, I looked at the corporal next to me.

"I'll get him." I said, my back to the building. I inched sideways, getting ready to spin around the corner and open fire.

"Sarge, you're in charge of this outfit," the corporal said. "I'll go."

Reluctantly, I nodded a yes. He stuck his head around the corner of the building. Pfffft. A bullet killed him instantly, a yard from where I stood. Angered, I hopped over him, dashed around the corner, and opened fire with my tommy gun. There was a German soldier in the barn window, obviously the guy who'd just killed that corporal. I mowed him down, then came up on the barn itself. I poled my head inside. My heard was pounding.

"Anybody else in here need killing?" I yelled. No movement. I looked around to make sure nobody was hiding, then relaxed, assured I was safe. I saw the soldier I'd just killed, sprawled on the barn floor, helmet off. Two or three bullets had bloodied his chest, which against his gray uniform, looked more crimson than red. Damn, he looked so young. I bent over and found his soldier's record-the Germans called them pay books-and glanced at it. Holy mother of God, this kid was only sixteen years old. Looking back, it was like the time as a kid I'd shot what I thought was my first quail. Only, when I ran to where it had nose-dived into some tall grass, I realized it wasn't a quail after all, but a robin. I felt like two cents.

The kid was probably part of Hitler Youth. He'd had no choice in all this. Just swept up in a madman's pursuit of evil. I looked at his face, eyes fixed forever. A face that I wouldn't forget. Not the next next day. Not the next month. Not ever. I tucked his pay book in my pocked and moved on.
That part of the book is just one of many that struck me about how awful war really is. We get facinated by it, but there is such a heavy toll paid by those who fight it and endure it.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Re: Easy Company history books

Post by Raptor 597 »

Yea, war is a terrible and gruesome thing. I think often about all the people I know that died or were scarred from Iraq and I just can't comprehend it; the bureaucrats and "leaders" have very little idea what they are really asking of soldiers. Sure, giving your life for a cause sounds like a noble thing, but at the end of the day you are just trying to survive with those around you, you lose sight of mission. As for Dick Winters' memoirs it really touched me down in the cockles of my heart. What struck me was his views on the war and general opinion of military life which very closely matched my own after I had been in for awhile; the Army simply just didn't match my goals or views on what the organization really is all about. In the end it is just a organization ran by people and it has the same flaws that any other group might contain and often they are far more egregious.
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton