GAMBIT / HEXAGON Programs Declassified. (56k DIE)

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

GAMBIT / HEXAGON Programs Declassified. (56k DIE)

Post by MKSheppard »

Ground Test Articles were placed on display for ONE DAY/NIGHT only at NASM's Udvar Hazy Center, as part of the NRO's 50th anniversary.

This thread will feature links to photographs/information from my visit today.

(Fliers that they were handing out today)

"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Re: GAMBIT / HEXAGON Programs Declassified. (56k DIE)

Post by MKSheppard »

GAMBIT which was on display behind a hidden wall for the banquet tonight for NRO's 50th:

"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

HEXAGON:

Every so often a declassified documentary film on HEXAGON from back in the day they were showing, would cut away to REDACTED blank screens:

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Some statistics from the displays there:

Launches:
92 x GAMBITs from July 1963 - April 1984
20 x HEXAGONs from June 1971 - April 1986

Mission Statistics:

GAMBIT 1: 724 average targets/mission for 27,534 targets total.
GAMBIT 2: 12,978 average targets/mission for 700,812 targets total.

One GAMBIT 3 mission acquired 27,652 frames with 49,372 targets!

The average HEXAGON mission covered 46 million square nautical miles.

The total coverage from all 20 HEXAGONs launched was 877 million square nautical miles and 104 million square nautical miles covered with the mapping cameras.

Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Awesome hardware. I can only imagine your immense boner.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Driving down 28 last night there was unbeliveable bumper-to-bumper traffic at the ramp to UH. I guess people really wanted to see them.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Lonestar wrote:Driving down 28 last night there was unbeliveable bumper-to-bumper traffic at the ramp to UH. I guess people really wanted to see them.
There was a 4,000 person reception being held at U-H that night for the super special formal unveiling -- they roped off a lot of exhibits to make room for table storage when I was down there.