Rachel Maddow on the 3/5's compromise.

HIST: Discussions about the last 4000 years of history, give or take a few days.

Moderator: K. A. Pital

blahface
Padawan Learner

Rachel Maddow on the 3/5's compromise.

Post by blahface »

Tonight Rachel Maddow brought up the 3/5's compromise in the context that it was racist and bad to only count slaves as 3/5's a person. The only problem I have with this compromise is that slaves shouldn't have been counted at all for representation. Counting slaves as a full person would have made it even more difficult to emancipate the slaves. I thought Maddow was smarter than this.
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Re: Rachel Maddow on the 3/5's compromise.

Post by StarshipTitanic »

blahface wrote:Counting slaves as a full person would have made it even more difficult to emancipate the slaves.
Why?
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
blahface
Padawan Learner

Post by blahface »

StarshipTitanic wrote:
blahface wrote:Counting slaves as a full person would have made it even more difficult to emancipate the slaves.
Why?
It would have given more representation to pro-slavery states.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

blahface wrote:
StarshipTitanic wrote:
Why?
It would have given more representation to pro-slavery states.
Yeah, namely more representatives and more electoral votes. It was an abhorrent principal, but it limited the already overrepresented south from being even more powerful legislatively.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

blahface wrote:Tonight Rachel Maddow brought up the 3/5's compromise in the context that it was racist and bad to only count slaves as 3/5's a person. The only problem I have with this compromise is that slaves shouldn't have been counted at all for representation. Counting slaves as a full person would have made it even more difficult to emancipate the slaves. I thought Maddow was smarter than this.
It was. It being a necessary political compromise has little to do with the moral problems with treating slaves as subhuman.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Moved to history.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
blahface
Padawan Learner

Post by blahface »

Bakustra wrote:
blahface wrote:Tonight Rachel Maddow brought up the 3/5's compromise in the context that it was racist and bad to only count slaves as 3/5's a person. The only problem I have with this compromise is that slaves shouldn't have been counted at all for representation. Counting slaves as a full person would have made it even more difficult to emancipate the slaves. I thought Maddow was smarter than this.
It was. It being a necessary political compromise has little to do with the moral problems with treating slaves as subhuman.
So you think slaves should have been counted as a full person even though they weren't allowed to vote and their interests were not represented by the congressmen who were elected by their masters?

Now, I understand why it is racist to have slavery in the first place, but given that slavery was already a part of life, why would it be racist to put in place a measure that would weaken the power of the slave holders? Should they have just given slaveholders more representation so people wouldn't think they were being racist?
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Women couldn't vote either- are you saying they shouldn't have counted women either?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

For the purpose of determining representation; yeah, they should only count those able to vote.
blahface
Padawan Learner

Post by blahface »

fgalkin wrote:Women couldn't vote either- are you saying they shouldn't have counted women either?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Actually, they should have had a condition that said women should only be counted as representation for states that allowed women to vote. If they had that condition, states would have allowed women to vote sooner.

Considering though that women are half the population uniformly across the states, whether or not they counted women didn't give any state an inherit advantage.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

blahface wrote:
Bakustra wrote:
So you think slaves should have been counted as a full person even though they weren't allowed to vote and their interests were not represented by the congressmen who were elected by their masters?

Now, I understand why it is racist to have slavery in the first place, but given that slavery was already a part of life, why would it be racist to put in place a measure that would weaken the power of the slave holders? Should they have just given slaveholders more representation so people wouldn't think they were being racist?
Okay, watch closely, I'm about to perform a magic trick. Nothing up my sleeves, nothing in my hat, here we go!

Slavery, as practiced in the USA, was racist.

Treating people as subhuman over minor physical characteristics is also racist.

Did I just blow your mind or what?!

Something can be bad but still be less bad than the alternative. You could easily argue that the 3/5ths compromise was such. You could argue that it wasn't, but counterfactuals are difficult to argue. But that does not change the fundamental injustice of the less awful option.
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Which would the less awful option be, though? The one that gave more power to the slaveholding states or the one that didn't give them that power? That's the point of this exercise, I think.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
blahface
Padawan Learner

Post by blahface »

Bakustra wrote: Okay, watch closely, I'm about to perform a magic trick. Nothing up my sleeves, nothing in my hat, here we go!

Slavery, as practiced in the USA, was racist.

Treating people as subhuman over minor physical characteristics is also racist.

Did I just blow your mind or what?!

Something can be bad but still be less bad than the alternative. You could easily argue that the 3/5ths compromise was such. You could argue that it wasn't, but counterfactuals are difficult to argue. But that does not change the fundamental injustice of the less awful option.
Nobody is arguing that slavery wasn't racist. The 3/5's compromise was about determining the amount of representation each state gets. It wasn't a statement that slaves were only 3/5's human. If it were, why would the slave states want each slave to count as a full person?
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Flagg wrote:Which would the less awful option be, though? The one that gave more power to the slaveholding states or the one that didn't give them that power? That's the point of this exercise, I think.
That's what it seems to have evolved into, but that's separate from the question of whether it really was racist. It's also difficult to really say which would have been better, since a large part of abolitionist sympathy came from the idea that the South was imposing its ideals on the rest of the nation through things like the Fugitive Slave Act, which a stronger South would also have engendered, and much more quickly. However, it could well have caused the North to secede and much earlier, but without the abolitionist trend that led the North to demand an end to slavery by the end of the Civil War, and so the South could remain independent and slaveholding for longer, at least until the system fell apart. Then there's the real question of if the Constitution would have been ratified at all without that compromise- neither side quite had the numbers to force ratification. So it's not an easy answer.
blahface wrote: Nobody is arguing that slavery wasn't racist. The 3/5's compromise was about determining the amount of representation each state gets. It wasn't a statement that slaves were only 3/5's human. If it were, why would the slave states want each slave to count as a full person?
Oh, it seems we were both wrong, Flagg. Man, the 3/5ths compromise explicitly states that slaves count for less than a person for apportionment, so therefore it is discriminatory and literally treats slaves as less than human. It turns out that people can have two different opinions that are both nevertheless discriminatory. Imagine that!
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Yeah... It was racist because the south still wouldn't have let blacks vote. So I dunno where this guy is coming from.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

The original concept of the Population basis of the Legislature was that the States could only count the number of the free inhabitants. This was something proposed by something called the Virginia Plan. The States that were insisting on the counting of the slaves as part of the population were Maryland(Divided), Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. The one fighting hardest for the inclusion of the slaves in the count of their populations was Rutladge from South Carolina. These states, not Maryland in this case, insisted that unless they were allowed to do this they would refuse to ratify the new Constitution. The 3/5 Compromise was come up with in order to move on to a much bigger problem with the subject of representation namely the makeup of the House and the Senate.

Later one of the most bitter fights was the one over under the new Constitution the importation of new slaves should stop. Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina led that fight. Rutladge being the chief leader again.

From what we saw later in the political nature of what became the deep south in the pre-Civil War years, we see massive unbalance in the political power of the large plantation holders even with the 3/5ths Compromise. Take a look at the maps of the county boundaries in many of the southern states and see the very small and odd make up of them. Even with the Compromise you had slave holder able to using it to more or less declare their plantation as a separate county and thus able to elect themselves and family as members of the State Legislators. Hmm....imagine that with them being able to count them as 1 person and how much worse it could have been.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

Dominus Atheos wrote:For the purpose of determining representation; yeah, they should only count those able to vote.
We still count plenty of people unable to vote in the current census (Children, felons, legal and illegal immigrants, etc.) with the idea that not only is the census about apportioning representation but also to allow the distribution of government services effectively.

While you might be able to somehow separate representation calculation from fund distribution that does add an additional layer of bureaucracy and may in fact lessen census response since it would provide the government with a list of people who can't vote, and who therefore might warrant closer study to determine why they cannot vote.