Best theistic argument?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Rye
To Mega Therion

Best theistic argument?

Post by Rye »

Fairly obvious from the title really, what's the best pro theistic argument you've heard?
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Tzeentch
Padawan Learner

Post by Tzeentch »

Probably fine tuning. It's not convincing, but at least it makes you think.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Tzeentch wrote:Probably fine tuning. It's not convincing, but at least it makes you think.
What is the "fine tuning" argument?
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

To me, the only one that comes close to "good", is: "It´s as reasonable to believe he made the universe as it is to believe the universe made itself, so why take any chances?" :P
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

"You wanna live forever, don't you?"
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

VT-16 wrote:To me, the only one that comes close to "good", is: "It´s as reasonable to believe he made the universe as it is to believe the universe made itself, so why take any chances?" :P
Occam's Razor kills that one. :)
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Petrosjko
Sith Acolyte

Post by Petrosjko »

VT-16 wrote:To me, the only one that comes close to "good", is: "It´s as reasonable to believe he made the universe as it is to believe the universe made itself, so why take any chances?" :P
Oh god, yes, I don't know how many arguments I've had that boiled down to that after everything else had been knocked out.

That YEC friend of mine used to pack it in with a misquoted appeal to authority... "The smartest man in the world, Albert Einstein, said 'Why take the chance?'"

To which I replied- "Why take the chance that Christianity is right over a million and one other religions that offer equal amounts of evidence? By that standard, it's playing the spiritual lottery."

(Being as how I didn't know Einstein's actual stance at the time he hit me with it.)
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

the spainish inquisition.
mauldooku
Jedi Master

Post by mauldooku »

salm wrote:the spainish inquisition.
'Believe or we'll kill you'? Yeah, that's pretty convincing when you think about it ;)
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

they're all good, if you're ignorant enough.

in my experience, though, theistic arguments only work when deep down, the skeptic wants to believe in god, for whatever reason. you know, the whole, "a hole in my heart where god should be, etc."
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

God is spiteful and all knowing. The big-bad-ass Santa Claus in the sky who plays with our lives (in a Universe as boundless as the imagination he has nothing better to do :roll: )
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

It took me a LONG time to understand the flaws in Pascal's Wager. The only one that jumped out at me was the "the chances of God's existence could be zero" one, which struck me as being wholly unsatisfying.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Symmetry
Jedi Master

Post by Symmetry »

"God will forgive you your sins"
SDN Rangers: Gunnery Officer

They may have claymores and Dragons, but we have Bolos and Ogres.
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Symmetry wrote:"God will forgive you your sins"
Why didn't I think of that? Well, don't forget to define sin: damn near every worldly pleasure in addition to merely existing (that Adam and Eve shit, what is it? inherited sin?) Anyway, b/c God gave you life, there lies in you sin you imperfect cretinous human filth. Convert or die b/c god knows you jerk off at night.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I don't think there are any 'good' theistic arguments, but I suppose if you were going for a strongest contender - and this is about as close as they come to 'reasonable' - I would choose the one wherein a group of Christians said they understood that there were the same odds on Sagan's dragon as on God, but that those slim-to-none odds were good enough for them, at least on faith.

At that point, you aren't really talking about logical arguments any more, but it's, well, it's the best they've got.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Ninja of the North
Youngling

Post by Ninja of the North »

Some commedian once said

"I think most people believe in God, just in case".
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Ninja of the North wrote:Some commedian once said

"I think most people believe in God, just in case".
they forget that the chances that there is a god who punishes believers and rewards non believers are just as high as a god who punishes non believers and rewards believers.
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

This is my favorite argument:

Stan: "Why would God let Kenny die, Chef? Why? Kenny's my friend. Why can't God take someone else's friend?"

Chef: "Stan, sometimes God takes those closest to us, because it makes him feel better about himself. He is a very vengeful God, Stan. He's all pissed off about something we did thousands of years ago. He just can't get over it, so he doesn't care who he takes. Children, puppies, it don't matter to him, so long as it makes us sad. Do you understand?"

Stan: "But then, why does God give us anything to start with?"

Chef: "Well, look at it this way: if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away. If you never give it a lollipop to begin with, then you would have nothin' to cry about. That's like God, who gives us life and love and help just so that he can tear it all away and make us cry, so he can drink the sweet milk of our tears. You see, it's our tears, Stan, that give God his great power."

Stan: "I think I understand."
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

God making mankind with the intention that it spread through the cosmos would answer Fermi's Paradox.