Marijuana - God's gift. [WTF]

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

moku
Jedi Knight

Marijuana - God's gift. [WTF]

Post by moku »

+http://www.geocities.com/ovidduke/ganja.html

*Speechless*
This 'guy' popped into this other forum, and is sprouting his pro-pot views.
Image | And ffs I'm a guy | Kaffee und Kuchen | SD.net Chroniclers | Knight of the Garter Image

[+] Wikipedia - The free encyclopedia
[+] Wombat, my blog
Contact @ mokuias {at} gmail {dot} com
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Perhaps you can refute some of these pro-pot views with something other than presumption?
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Firstly, does anyone else find "Hey guys, look at this guy on a completely different forum, isn't he stupid/give me a counter-argument" threads growing increasinly annoying?

Secondly, this board is fairly pot-friendly. Anti-anti-drug, you might say.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
moku
Jedi Knight

Post by moku »

I am not linking or asking anyone to view the forum - just this site of a particular member and what you think of it.
If you don't want to - then don't.
Image | And ffs I'm a guy | Kaffee und Kuchen | SD.net Chroniclers | Knight of the Garter Image

[+] Wombat, my blog
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Pot is a tame and non-physiologically addictive substance. Like any drug, it should be used wisely and can be abused, but it's hardly anything to get your panties in a knot over.

Now, if the guy was going on about crack cocaine or something, we'd bat an eyelid. But he isn't. And so we won't.
Last edited by Admiral Valdemar on 2005-01-14 09:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

It is a most excellent site, like the one that's linked from the picture in my sig.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I copied and pasted the address listed, but it doesn't work. Is there another address that I could use to get to it?

As for the health effects of pot, my search results were mixed. The National Institute of Health's web page on it was very anti-pot, listing side effects such as
A study of 450 individuals found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers(9)
but they may have a bias influencing their conclusions. Another essay written on the health effects of marijuana, available here, pointed out that many of the arguments used, such as marijuana destroys brain cells, were not duplicated in additional studies along the same lines.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Okay, let's not turn this into a weed discussion because we've been over the effects time and time again and there are studies still being done. I think it's safe to say it isn't the society destroying drug the far right would have us believe.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Okay, let's not turn this into a weed discussion because we've been over the effects time and time again and there are studies still being done. I think it's safe to say it isn't the society destroying drug the far right would have us believe.
Okay, I was just pointing it out because of Moku's indignation at the guy's pro-pot arguments. There was one interesting factoid in the second paper.
Shedler et al. (1990) reported these results in a longitudinal survey of adolescents:
"Adolescents who engaged in some drug experimentation (primarily with marijuana) were the best adjusted in the sample. Adolescents who used drugs frequently were maladjusted, showing distinct personality syndrome marked by interpersonal alienation, poor impulse control, and manifest emotional distress. Adolescents who, by age 18, had never experimented with any drug were relatively anxious, emotionally constricted, and lacking in social skills."
I don't know if anyone has ever mentioned this before.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Probably an uncountable number of times by myself and others. It is, however, irrelevent as certain risk are known with the drug anyway. The point is that they are very minor unless you're a pot-head.
moku
Jedi Knight

Post by moku »

I've heard many stories from people claiming tobacco is more damaging than marijuana. I don't know whether or not it is true, mainly since I haven't touched a cigarette or a bong. Neither have I been facinated enough to actually hunt down the facts on the net.

I just saw this site and noticed some of his religious beliefs concerning pot, and his 'views'. I found them quite fanatical.

That is just me.

[+] Wombat, my blog
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I just saw this site and noticed some of his religious beliefs concerning pot, and his 'views'. I found them quite fanatical.
Wait, he's a fanatical pro-pot religous person? :shock:
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Guardsman Bass wrote:
It is pretty much the only thing God doesn't demand the death sentence for. Give him a break.
Frank Hipper

Post by Frank Hipper »

moku wrote:I've heard many stories from people claiming tobacco is more damaging than marijuana. I don't know whether or not it is true, mainly since I haven't touched a cigarette or a bong. Neither have I been facinated enough to actually hunt down the facts on the net.

That is just me.
Don't let your own lack of experience be a negative appeal to personal anecdote. Try finding ONE death attributed to pot.
Directly.

In the way thousands, or tens of thousands of deaths, annually, are directly attributed to tobacco.

As to his religious beliefs concerning pot go, at least you can grow a pot plant, and verify it's real. If your head works that way, why not attribute weed a gift from god?
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba wrote:
Guardsman Bass wrote:
It is pretty much the only thing God doesn't demand the death sentence for. Give him a break.
Actually, I want to give him an award for that stance! That is very unusual, in my opinion. :D
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

moku wrote:I've heard many stories from people claiming tobacco is more damaging than marijuana. I don't know whether or not it is true, mainly since I haven't touched a cigarette or a bong. Neither have I been facinated enough to actually hunt down the facts on the net.

That is just me.
one thing that makes pot considerably safer than tobacco is the fact that it's not physically addicting. there may be some psychological dependence developed, but for the most part anyone who's smoked pot can simply quit with the drop of a hat, while the same cannot be said of tobacco.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
moku
Jedi Knight

Post by moku »

I just found it weird. That's all.
And I suppose tobacco kills more than weed does. Yet it is illegal - and there must be a reason behind that decision. :?

[+] Wombat, my blog
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

moku wrote:I just found it weird. That's all.
And I suppose tobacco kills more than weed does. Yet it is illegal - and there must be a reason behind that decision. :?
Because tobacco is big business, and pot is criminalised.

Yes, the distinction is that arbitrary. I'm sure there's more detail involved, but in a nutshell that's what it boils down to.

People have a tendency to compartmentalise information in easy-to-digest chunks that don't represent the whole truth. "Drugs are bad, mmmkay" is an example of this. It doesn't matter if the drug addict is a pothead, a heroin junkie or a crackhead. To the 'guy on the street' one drug addict is the same as any drug addict... EXCEPT if the drug happens to be tobacco or alcohol. Those drugs are 'respectable', even if in many respects they cause more damage. (certainly more than pot; as Frank said, find how many people have died from pot as opposed to cigarettes or booze.)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

moku wrote:I just found it weird. That's all.
the tobacco industry simply doesn't want the competition.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Yes, the distinction is that arbitrary. I'm sure there's more detail involved, but in a nutshell that's what it boils down to.
It is not that arbitrary. Tobacco is a leaf. An addictive leaf that is incredibly stupid to smoke, but a leaf nonetheless. Marijuana is a mind-altering drug.

However, when you get to alcohol, this distinction starts to break down.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Cyborg Stan
Jedi Knight

Post by Cyborg Stan »

The only thing I found all that strange was his stating that all plants were harmless until Man adds chemicals to it. And while strange, it does seem to be a somewhat 'logical' conclusion from his apparently YEC position. (Although it would be more likely to see one claim that plants only became harmful to us after the Fall - with the way he states things, it's like he would believe that irritants in poison ivy or other things were stuck there by humans.)
ASVS Vets Assoc, Class of 1999

Geh Ick Bleah

Avatar is an image of Yuyuko Saigyouji from the Touhou Series.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Joe wrote:
It is not that arbitrary. Tobacco is a leaf. An addictive leaf that is incredibly stupid to smoke, but a leaf nonetheless. Marijuana is a mind-altering drug.

What about nicotein? That's the drug. I was talking about tobacco 'big business'.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

et it is illegal - and there must be a reason behind that decision
Well, the original reason has something to do with discrimination against Mexican immigrants way back in the dawning years of the 20th century, and the rest is essentially a tale of 70 years of self-perpetuating government beaucracy.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

What about nicotein? That's the drug. I was talking about tobacco 'big business'.
Nicotine doesn't screw with your mind the way THC does. It is merely addictive.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Frank Hipper

Post by Frank Hipper »

Joe wrote:

Tobacco is a behavior altering addictive drug that kills.

Alcohol not only alters a person's personality and judgement in ways that can't even begin to be compared to pot, but it kills, directly and indirectly.

I'd like to see something that shows that "mind altering" is a negative property.

Again, all I ask is for proof of one (1) person that has died from marijuana use. Not indirectly from being in a car wreck and pot was found in their system, not the train wreck from the 80's that killed several people, but 1 instance of someone who has died directly from injesting weed in the way many die every day, or every hour even, from smoking tobacco.