The Stupidest Thing You've Ever Heard?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Sienthal
Padawan Learner

The Stupidest Thing You've Ever Heard?

Post by Sienthal »

What is the stupidest thing you've heard, coming from fundamentalists and/or creationists? Also, what's your best story with run-ins with a religious-based incident (Missionaries, School-Related, or just some bum off the street?)
Welcome to the Divine Empire of Ashcroft:
-Hey, you! Sending e-mail, eh?Say Cheese!
-What I say here is forever being recorded. Wonderful, isn't it?
-Jack Chick develops the most disturbing Chick tract to date. It may be viewed here: MIGHTY MORPHIN' SATAN RANGERS! GO!
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

The American Education System

Post by Master of Ossus »

I was in a college Chemistry course (an ADVANCED one, for that matter) and my instructor wrote up the RXN hydrogen peroxide reacts to form water. When I asked what happened to the other Oxygen atom (hoping that my instructor would correct her mistake and laugh at the error) my instructor REPEATED the mistake, saying "It makes more water." One of my good friends in the class then asked how this reaction could possibly violate the law of conservation of matter, and one of the students with a ninety-eight percent in the class DEFENDED the teacher by saying that there are always exceptions. WTF? Law of Conservation of Matter is a SCIENTIFIC LAW! By definition there can be no exceptions except in extremely unusual circumstances (ie. black hole singularities).
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

except in extremely unusual circumstances (ie. black hole singularities).

Perhaps one of the said sinularities was present in the professors head.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Scary thought of frequent poster

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Antediluvian
Jedi Knight

Post by Antediluvian »

"Evolution is no longer taught in schools."

:roll:
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Dinosaurs and the Ark

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

I was watching a show on biology and an attempt from student groups to have "creationism" taught along side evolution.

One of the kids parents build a rather nice diorama of Noah's Ark.
There were 2 Tricerotops ( sp? ) in line with the other animals. I found that to be amusing. This guy believed that the Earth was no older than 6,000 years and that humans and dinosaurs had lived together.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Two TrailorParkJawas go round the outside, round the outside *scratchs*

oo oooo, Guess who's back, back again

Monkey's back, tell a friend..............

Sorry I just couldn't resist. :oops:
Antediluvian
Jedi Knight

Re: Dinosaurs and the Ark

Post by Antediluvian »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:I was watching a show on biology and an attempt from student groups to have "creationism" taught along side evolution.

One of the kids parents build a rather nice diorama of Noah's Ark.
There were 2 Tricerotops ( sp? ) in line with the other animals. I found that to be amusing. This guy believed that the Earth was no older than 6,000 years and that humans and dinosaurs had lived together.
That reminds me of something.

I was watching TV and stumbled across some creationist program where the guy was claiming that dinosaurs were simply lizards that ate a lot and grew to huge sizes.

Rolflmao! :lol: :lol: :lol:
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

What show was that?
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Oh god...
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Antediluvian
Jedi Knight

Post by Antediluvian »

David wrote:What show was that?
I don't remember the name, it was a few years ago, but it was so ridiculous, I changed the channel.

That dinosaur line stuck in my head though.
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Big Lizards

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

I don't remember the name, it was a few years ago, but it was so ridiculous, I changed the channel.

Mabye the lizards ate at Taco Bell like Godzilla.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Re: The Stupidest Thing You've Ever Heard?

Post by Eleas »

"What is the stupidest thing you've heard, coming from fundamentalists and/or creationists?"

"This enemy tries to hide behind a peaceful faith, but those who celebrate the murder of innocent men, women and children have no religion, have no conscience, and have no mercy."
--George Bush

"Also, what's your best story with run-ins with a religious-based incident (Missionaries, School-Related, or just some bum off the street?)"

Can't remember. :/
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Evolution is a religion, creationism is a theory, "Why don't monkeys evolve into humans," "Would dinosaurs have evolved into a human?"

A few years ago there was a discussion in globhistory class in which they won because the teacher knows sh*t about evolution asking if evolution was true why wdoesn't monkey evolve into humans and a fat a$s girl said "Yeah, that's what I want to know!".
It was the dumbest argument I ever heard but I didn't want to say anything because almost everyone if not everyone in the class were creationists and the worse thing is that they won because the teacher kept saying "I don't know, we weren't there so we'll never know what really happen", that and the fact that people are overwhelmingly ignorant on the basic concepts of science and believes anything their mommy and daddys tell them to with no evidence to substantiate their beliefs.
Last edited by ArmorPierce on 2002-07-11 10:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

David wrote:Two TrailorParkJawas go round the outside, round the outside *scratchs*

What a coincidence, without me started playing on the tv on the exact moment I started reading this. :D
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

What is the stupidest thing you've heard, coming from fundamentalists and/or creationists?
"...One nation, under God..."
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

ArmorPierce wrote:
David wrote:Two TrailorParkJawas go round the outside, round the outside *scratchs*

What a coincidence, without me started playing on the tv on the exact moment I started reading this. :D

It was on mine to.
Sienthal
Padawan Learner

Post by Sienthal »

Eleas wrote:
"This enemy tries to hide behind a peaceful faith, but those who celebrate the murder of innocent men, women and children have no religion, have no conscience, and have no mercy."
--George Bush
...As I read that, I felt my brain cells screaming out in mortal agony, only to be pummelled to death by the mere process of mine trying to grasp this...this...WTF is that?! Augh! It hurts! It hurts! NOOOOOOOOOOO ::falls to the floor in the fetal position, sobbing softly and mumbling about smurf village::

The real reason there haven't been more terrorist attacks to date.
Friends don't let friends vote Bush.
Welcome to the Divine Empire of Ashcroft:
-Hey, you! Sending e-mail, eh?Say Cheese!
-What I say here is forever being recorded. Wonderful, isn't it?
-Jack Chick develops the most disturbing Chick tract to date. It may be viewed here: MIGHTY MORPHIN' SATAN RANGERS! GO!
Antediluvian
Jedi Knight

Re: Big Lizards

Post by Antediluvian »

TrailerParkJawa wrote:I don't remember the name, it was a few years ago, but it was so ridiculous, I changed the channel.

Mabye the lizards ate at Taco Bell like Godzilla.
:lol:

The really bad thing about it was that this dumbass creationist appeared to be in some kind of classroom and there was a class he was teaching this shit to.

When he blabbed that lizard crap, the class went "Ohhhhh..."

How stupid can they be?

He was also going on about those so-called "dinosaur" tracks, if I remember correctly. :roll:

I'm glad I turned it.

My brain would have corroded listening to that ignorant moron.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

"...As I read that, I felt my brain cells screaming out in mortal agony, only to be pummelled to death by the mere process of mine trying to grasp this...this...WTF is that?! Augh! It hurts! It hurts! NOOOOOOOOOOO ::falls to the floor in the fetal position, sobbing softly and mumbling about smurf village::

The real reason there haven't been more terrorist attacks to date.
Friends don't let friends vote Bush."

Overconfident young Jedi! My powers are second only to Lord Wongs! Where his is the Force Lightning, mine is a hefty supply of Bushisms. Mwa ha ha!
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Bushisms?

Don't the have a book out for those?
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

The worst I have ever heard from a person who got their opinions on anything from the Bible was from a former neighbour of mine (I'd bid good riddance to bad rubbish, but I've seen conceptual artists turn bad rubbish into million-dollar art pieces, and I didn't want her newfound beliefs coming back as something valuable).

She moved out to the country somewhere; before she left, she claimed that the simpler life was for her because, quote, 'Jesus didn't have technology, so neither should we'. When pressed for extrapolation of her amazing theorem, she retorted with "It's right because it's my opinion. I can complete the mission of my life with nothing but what God gives me."

Sort of like Rambo of the faithful, combatting against reality with a fig leaf and a really pointy rock.
"...Here she comes, the Amish commando, see her go, the Amish commando..."
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

"Bushisms?

Don't the have a book out for those?"

There is another? Curses! I believed my Holocron was the only one!
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Thanks the Wonder of Captialism
Nothing is unique for long :D

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Post by IDMR »

Chick had a tract on the Great Flood. In it was a most interesting thoery. Apparently when God created the Earth, he placed a huge water canolpy above the Earth, which made Earth a 'tropical paradise'. The canolpy went down and caused the Great Flood.

The mind simply boggles.
"Intellectual rigor annoys people because it interferes with the pleasure they derive from allowing their wishes to be the fathers of their thoughts." - George F. Will

"If theory and reality diverges, change reality." - Josef Stalin