Colonization of Other Solar Systems

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

How will we colonize other solar systems?

Poll ended at 2002-10-11 12:10pm

Use of suspended animation
38%
Unmanned vehicles carrying frozen embryos
No votes
We'll develop FTL travel
31%
We'll colonize only this solar system
13%
We'll colonize the moon if we're lucky - but nothing else
13%
We're not getting off this rock!
6%

Total votes: 16

jegs2
Imperial Spook

Colonization of Other Solar Systems

Post by jegs2 »

Most here understand that FTL travel is physically impossible. That means that barring some miracle, travel to other solar systems may be either impossible or at least unfeasible. Perhaps we could use some form of suspended animation that we've seen in movies like Alien. So far as I know, such technology does not exist outside of sience fiction. So, to my poll....
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Nothing is impossible
Mearly improbable

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

It is far more likely we will send exploration/colonization ships with suspended animation, but a small crew to keep things working in the begining with some crew being thawed out at certain times durring the trip. FTL travel has a realistic chance IMO of being developed in the FAR future, one sort of travel or another (be it real space or some quasi space or wormhole). But for the next thousand years we will be lucky to send a handful of sleeper ships.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

It is possible that we will develope not FTL but engines with enough speed to get to the nearest stars in a realitivly reasonable time, say 5 to 10 years of travel time. Colonization would be some what simular to the colonization of the west a couple of hundred years ago.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

we could just build extremely large biosphere´s with huge engines. thn put maybe a million people on it for a large genpool and send them off. after a couple of generations the ship would arive in alpha centauri or wherever and colonization could begin.

even though FTL sounds a lot cooler!
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Re: Colonization of Other Solar Systems

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

jegs2 wrote:Most here understand that FTL travel is physically impossible. That means that barring some miracle, travel to other solar systems may be either impossible or at least unfeasible. Perhaps we could use some form of suspended animation that we've seen in movies like Alien. So far as I know, such technology does not exist outside of sience fiction. So, to my poll....
You've left out a couple of feasible/semi-feasible options, such as:

- Generational ships: In fact, if we had colonies out in the asteroids, it is concievable that some of them would eventually strap on a fusion drive and leave the solar system.

- Colonizing the nearest starsystems via ordinary STL ship travelling at some substantial fraction of c.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Re: Colonization of Other Solar Systems

Post by His Divine Shadow »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:- Colonizing the nearest starsystems via ordinary STL ship travelling at some substantial fraction of c.
Possible, using huuge ships that we accelerate using huge solar powered lasers wich remotely power the ships.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
GoneCrazy
Village Idiot

Post by GoneCrazy »

i wish could could develop FTL or do ANYTHING to colonize the rest of our solar system and others beyond. but at the rate were going i have to say it'll be a miracle for us to get to the moon let alone anything else.
Mess with the Best,
Die Like the Rest