Situational Canabalism

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Situational Canabalism

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

This is refering to cases like: Alive, The Donner Party, or you and several ship gowers are stranged at sea, orany other case where there is no other food available.

Is it in your oppinions morally acceptable to eat another human, if you have no other available source for protein, and you have no idea when you will be saved.

Just reaching into the morbidity closet for a moment

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Yeah Sure. especially if it is a total stranger. I would snap the neck and eat everything but the brain(prions are bad) :D
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

In a total starve or live situation I dont see it as "morally" wrong. Its still fricking gross. :)

I dont think I have what it takes to eat a fellow human. I mean can you imagine the nightmares you would have for the rest of your life?

Thats when a secret agent suicide pill comes in handy.
:P
The Yosemite Bear

That way you will have a nicely preserved corpse that they won't eat because it will be saturated with Cyanide. :)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

It occured to me that they might eat me if I did myself in.

I didnt think about the cyanide ruining me as a lunch item. :-)
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Ummm, is this merely eating dead people, or does this include killing them as well?
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
Nick
Jedi Knight

Post by Nick »

I'd agree with the decision the English courts made many moons ago. . .

4 people were shipwrecked. Two of them decided to kill the cabin boy (for food). They asked the third man to participate - he refused. The first two _did_ kill the cabin boy, and then all three of the men proceeeded to sustain them themselves by eating him.

In the court case, only the two killers were tried and convicted. For the third man, once the cabin boy was already dead, the decision to eat human flesh was seen as justifiable. (I believe the court took the view that, given the circumstances, there was little the third man could have done to prevent the murder - however, I'm not sure on that point. I don't even know if the issue was brought before the court).

So cannibalism of someone who is already dead - gross, but not immoral. Deliberately murdering someone so you can eat them - almost certainly immoral (because of the murder, not the eating).
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

One of Bean's few weaknesses is I'm quite picky about my food yet have one of the strongest urges to survive out there

I would not be doing the killing(Killing so I can eat somone=Bad, Eating Dead person =Ewww, Killing somone for some other reason not involving eating them=Ok)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

Killing somone for some other reason not involving eating them=Ok
Such as the person in question trying to kill you for food?
Supermod
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Such as the person in question trying to kill you for food?
well yes that, and having a bad hair cut, an annyoing voice, having less IQ than the chair I'm siting in, I favor death for quite a few things

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Put my name into google and see what comes up.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
The Yosemite Bear

Actually his was more psychosis from clausterphobia.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

I suppose I would. Its not morally objectionable as long as they are already deceased.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

If I died in such a situation, I would hope that my friends would have the good sense to eat my carcass in the hopes that it would keep them alive long enough to be rescued. Also note that cannibalism does not necessarily represent a break-down in order, although the two are often correlated.

I would also have absolutely NO moral qualms about making a deal with someone, in such a situation, that if one of us died the survivor could eat the body of the dead.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

The only thing that gives me pause is that it would be a person I knew. It's like eating your pet when it dies. Rather than looking the corpse as a meal, I'd see it as the person it was. But if it came to starvation, I'd probably chow down. But you could be sure I'd eat everything else that wasn't nailed down before that time came.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Stuart Mackey
Drunken Kiwi Editor of the ASVS Press

Post by Stuart Mackey »

<Hannibal Lector>I will eat their liver with mung beans!<Hannibal Lector>
*fwfwfwfwfw*
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

I'd rather use a corpse for heat or something. I'd be happy to live on rats and seagulls. Bugs are also good, and animal feces are edible with a cyadine pill.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

Gustatory cannibalism (the eating of human flesh by preference) is very rare: most cannibalism is for the reason of this thread (dire necessity) or for ritual reasons (the belief that consuming the flesh imparts some of the eaten person's soul to you.) Apparently, human flesh is supposed to taste very disagreeable. I've never sampled it to test the theory...

The trick with cannibalism is that it's the healthy, meaty people that you want to eat: the ones who die of starvation or sickness are likely to make you sick in turn. I count my blessings that if I'm on a plane that goes down somewhere in a remote and hostile location, that I'm thin enough to be very unattractive as a meal. The down side is, I'll probably die from malnourishment ahead of you bastards and be the first in the stew pot. On the bright side, I'll have the cold comfort of knowing that you lot will be mostly chewing on gristle.

In all seriousness I'd go with the majority opinion here: I wouldn't call cannibalism immoral if you're not murdering people for the meat, but it certainly is nasty. I think if I was pushed to it, I'd most likely be too far gone from starvation for it to matter.
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

Am I the only one getting a craving for some gingerbread men?
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Thread Bump!

Seriously, from what I heard human flesh tastes like pork. For example, the Aztecs and many SW North American Indians practised ritual cannibalism, and many of these same people also raised pigs in droves. Some pacific islanders also practise ritual cannibalism. Of course, another side effect is the Kufu disease, related to Mad Cow and Foot and Mouth.
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

of course I'd munch a little human t-bone if I had to. . .but I would have conscience pangs having to kill them first.

maybe they'd attack me for food, *then* I could kill them in defense and eat them. ^^
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

I hate pork, so I guess I'll never know the joys of feasting on the OTHER other white meat.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

I think cannibalism is gross, but if the guy's already dead, better that I use his flesh to sustain mine than allowing the decomposers to get it, making the place unsanitary.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Human flesh is not a white meat, though. Our muscles clearly qualify as white meat, taste aside.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Oh eat me.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.