Richard Dawkins: I'm a Cultural Christian

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Richard Dawkins: I'm a Cultural Christian

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COHgEFUFWyg
Richard Dawkins wrote:I must say I was slightly horrified to hear that Ramadan is being promoted instead- I do think that we we are culturally a Christian country. I call myself a cultural Christian. I'm not a believer, but there's a distinction between being a believing Christian and being a cultural Christian. And so you know I love hymns and Christmas carols and um I sort of feel at home in the Christian ethos. I feel that we are a Christian country in that sense it's truth that statistically the number of people who actually believe in Christianity is going down, and I'm happy with that. but I would not be happy if for example we lost all our cathedrals and our beautiful parish churches. So I've count myself a cultural Christian I think it would matter if we certainly if we substituted any alternative religion that would be truly dreadful.
Richard Dawkins wrote:If I had to choose between Christianity and Islam, I choose Christianity every single time. I mean it seems to me to be a fundamentally decent religion in a way that I think Islam is not. [...]

The way women are treated I mean Christianity is not great about that, it's had its problems with female vicars and female Bishops and things but there's an active hostility to women which is promoted I think by the holy books of Islam. I'm not talking about individual Muslims who of course are quite different but the doctrines of Islam the Hadith and the Quran it's fundamentally hostile to women, hostile to gays, and I find that I like to live in a culturally Christian country although I do not believe a single word of the Christian faith.
3-Body Problem
Youngling

Re: Richard Dawkins: I'm a Cultural Christian

Post by 3-Body Problem »

People still give a fuck what Dawkins thinks?
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

You apparently do. :P :wink:
Dawkins said he was a cultural Christian ages ago.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Dick Dorkins, case closed.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.