Can anyone with a stronger grasp of quantum mechanics than I have refute this guy?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

madd0c0t0r2
Padawan Learner

Re: Can anyone with a stronger grasp of quantum mechanics than I have refute this guy?

Post by madd0c0t0r2 »

when I was his age I stayed up one night and reinvented Aristole's phlogiston. Kid seems to be having fun...

clicked the last link. Oh. was older then he looks and He killed himself. Could have done without that. Still, if his argument was that this is a simulation and non of this is real, that sounds like classic depression dissociation wearing a fancy shirt.
Mastr Blastr
Redshirt

Re: Can anyone with a stronger grasp of quantum mechanics than I have refute this guy?

Post by Mastr Blastr »

madd0c0t0r2 wrote: 2022-12-15 03:20pm when I was his age I stayed up one night and reinvented Aristole's phlogiston. Kid seems to be having fun...

clicked the last link. Oh. was older then he looks and He killed himself. Could have done without that. Still, if his argument was that this is a simulation and non of this is real, that sounds like classic depression dissociation wearing a fancy shirt.
He doesn't argue that it's a simulation, but that essentially there is no actually operative principle of identity in the universe. You might die, and then reexperience reality in the next most simple form closest to yours on the moment of death - something being born somewhere else. It wouldn't be you of course, in the sense of possessing a coherent identity handed down from the current you, but it wouldn't be some kind of infinite darkness or anything, because such a state isn't possible.

Not Hindu reincarnation (this soul is reborn in this other body), but more like Buddhist rebirth (tus stream of consciousness resumes elsewhere).

Sam Harris (who I don't especially respect or like) has played with similar ideas before.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6TiFP_ghABo
madd0c0t0r2
Padawan Learner

Post by madd0c0t0r2 »

Mastr Blastr wrote: 2022-12-15 03:23pm
madd0c0t0r2 wrote: 2022-12-15 03:20pm when I was his age I stayed up one night and reinvented Aristole's phlogiston. Kid seems to be having fun...

He doesn't argue that it's a simulation, but that essentially there is no actually operative principle of identity in the universe. You might die, and then reexperience reality in the next most simple form closest to yours on the moment of death - something being born somewhere else. It wouldn't be you of course, in the sense of possessing a coherent identity handed down from the current you, but it wouldn't be some kind of infinite darkness or anything, because such a state isn't possible.

Not Hindu reincarnation (this soul is reborn in this other body), but more like Buddhist rebirth (tus stream of consciousness resumes elsewhere).

Sam Harris (who I don't especially respect or like) has played with similar ideas before.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6TiFP_ghABo
I don't really watch videos. Sometimes I download their transcripts. Fundamentally for this sort of question, I find myself more interested in if it should shape how I can act as a moral being in this life. Something like the type of reincarnation is beyond the knowable, but there's a multitude of options for afterlife that means that 'don't be a dick' remains good life advice.