new particle made of both matter and antimatter

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

dragon
Sith Marauder

new particle made of both matter and antimatter

Post by dragon »

First theorized in 1930s.
You might think that matter and antimatter aren't the best of friends, cancelling each other out when they come into contact—but you'd be wrong. In fact, researchers have now discovered a particle that's made up of both.

Researchers, led by Ali Yazdani of Princeton University, have now imaged what they call a Majorana particle. They discovered it by stringing together a length of iron atoms on the surface of a lead superconductor. The process created a corresponding row of electrons and anti-electrons—except for the ones at a the end of the chain, which had properties of both. In other words, they were both matter and antimatter at the same time.

Some scientists warn that a little caution is required before the entire physics community gets too excited, though. While the observed electrons appear to be a blend of antimatter and matter, some physicists wonder if in fact they're in fact a new, different kind of particle. Still, even if that is the case, it's an interesting discovery. As Leo Kouwenhoven of the Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands told Scientific American: "If you find a new class of particles, that really would add a new chapter to physics.
link
If you thought the search for the Higgs boson — the elusive particle that endows matter with mass — was epic, spare a thought for the physicists who have been trying to find a way to discover another subatomic particle that has remained hidden since it was first theorized in 1930s.

But now, through the use of a two story-tall microscope, the very strange and (potentially) revolutionary particle has been tracked down.

Introducing the Majorana fermion: a particle that is also its own antiparticle, dark matter candidate and possible quantum computer enabler.

Antimatter/Matter Duality

The Majorana fermion is named after the Italian physicist who formulated the theoretical framework that described this unique particle, Ettore Majorana. In 1937, Majorana predicted that a stable particle could exist in nature that was both matter and antimatter. In our everyday experience, there is matter (which is abundant in our known universe) and antimatter (which is very rare). Should matter and antimatter meet, they both annihilate, disappearing in a flash of energy.

PHOTOS: When the World Went Higgs Boson Crazy

One of the biggest conundrums in modern physics is how the Universe became more matter than antimatter. Logic suggests that matter and antimatter are one of the same thing, like the opposite sides of the same coin, and should have been created at the same rate. In this case the Universe would have annihilated before it could have even gained a foothold. But some process after the Big Bang ensured that more matter than antimatter was produced, so matter won out to create the matter-filled Universe we know and love today.

However, the Majorana is different; it is its own antiparticle. Whereas an electron is matter and the positron is the electron's antimatter particle, for example, the Majorana is both matter and antimatter -- at the same time. It is this matter/antimatter duality that has made this little beastie so hard to track down for the past 8 decades.

But track it down physicists did and it took some stunning ingenuity and a whopping great microscope to accomplish the task.

Theory suggests that the Majorana should emerge at the edge of other materials. So the Princeton team constructed an atom-thick iron wire on a lead surface and zoomed-in on the end of that wire with the mega-microscope at the ultralow-vibration laboratory at Princeton’s Jadwin Hall.

NEWS: Is the Sun Emitting a Mystery Particle?

“This is the most direct way of looking for the Majorana fermion as it is expected to emerge at the edge of certain materials,” said lead physicist Ali Yazdani of Princeton University, N.J., in a press release. “If you want to find this particle within a material you have to use such a microscope, which allows you to see where it actually is.”

Yazdani’s research was published in the journal Science on Thursday (Oct. 2).

Superconductive Search

The search for the Majorana is very different from searches for other subatomic particles that have seen much mainstream press. The hunt for the Higgs boson (and particles like it) need the most powerful accelerators on the planet to generate the vast collisional energies required to simulate the conditions soon after the Big Bang. This is the only way to isolate a rapidly-decaying Higgs boson and then study its decay products that betray its existence.

In contrast, the Majorana can only be detected in a material by its effect on the atoms and forces surrounding it — so no powerful accelerators are required, but powerful scanning-tunneling microscopes are a must. Also, very fine controls on the target material is required so the Majorana can be isolated and imaged.

This stringent control required extreme cooling of the thin iron wire to ensure superconductivity. Superconductivity is attained when the thermal vibrations in a material are lowered to such an extent that electrons can pass through that material with zero resistance. By lowering the target to -272 degrees Celsius — just one degree above absolute zero, or 1 Kelvin — the perfect conditions for Majorana formation could be attained.

“It shows that this (Majorana) signal lives only at the edge,” Yazdani said. “That is the key signature. If you don’t have that, then this signal can exist for many other reasons.”

NEWS: Particle ‘Consistent’ With Higgs Boson Discovered

Previous experiments have picked up possible Majorana signals in similar setups, but this is the first time that a definite signal — after all other sources of interference have been removed — of a Majorana fermion at the location it was predicted to be. This could only be achieved by keeping the experimental setup simple and not using exotic materials that could introduce noise, argues Yazdani.

“What’s very exciting is that it is very simple: it is lead and iron,” he said.

From Dark Matter to Quantum Computing

Now it has been discovered, there are some exciting implications for several areas of modern physics, engineering and astrophysics.

For example, the Majorana is extremely weakly interacting with normal matter, much like the ghostly neutrino. Physicists are not sure whether the neutrino has a separate antiparticle or whether, like the Majorana fermion, is its own antiparticle. Neutrinos are abundant in the Universe and astronomers often point to neutrinos being a significant portion of dark matter that is thought to fill the Cosmos. Perhaps neutrinos are also Majorana-like particles and Majorana fermions are also a dark matter candidate.

ANALYSIS: Nanotubes Isolate Quantum ‘Bits’ for Computing

There is also a potentially revolutionary industrial application should physicists be able to encode matter with Majorana fermions. Currently, electrons are being used in the quantum computing effort, potentially creating computers that can solve previously incalculable systems in an instant. But electrons (also a fermion) are notoriously difficult to control, often collapsing calculations after interacting with other materials surrounding them.

The Majorana fermion, however, is extremely weakly interacting with matter due to its matter/antimatter duality and is surprisingly stable. It is for these reasons that scientists may be able to harness the Majorana, engineering it into materials, encoding it and potentially opening up new and novel quantum computing applications.

So although its discovery may not have the drama and action of smashing relativistic particles together in the vacuum chambers of the LHC’s building-sized detectors, the more subtle Majorana discovery could develop a new understanding for dark matter and aid a revolution in computing.

That 80 year wait for its discovery was probably worth it after all.
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
jwl
Jedi Master

Re: new particle made of both matter and antimatter

Post by jwl »

Interesting discovery, although it looks like the writer of this news article has never heard of a neutral pion before.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Yeah I was gonna say, matter/antimatter particles aren't new, we've known about mesons for ages. This is something weirder. It doesn't contain matter and antimatter, it's somehow both at once. Whichgives me a headache.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Yeah I was gonna say, matter/antimatter particles aren't new, we've known about mesons for ages. This is something weirder. It doesn't contain matter and antimatter, it's somehow both at once. Whichgives me a headache.
Should call it by a new name...doesntmatter.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I'll stick with "WTF is this thing?"
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, something as ubiquitous and mundane as the photon is its own antiparticle- but photons are bosons*, not fermions.**

*That is, particles which can take up the same space while doing the same thing at the same time...
**...as opposed to particles which can't.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Kuroneko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kuroneko »

They are not fermions either. They have spin-1/2, so some people call them fermions, but that's not actually accurate.

That there only two kinds of statistics for indistinguishable particles, Bose-Einstein and Fermi-Dirac, depends on several things, including the fact that SO(3), the special orthogonal group for three spatial dimensions, has a fundamental group ℤ2. But SO(2) has an infinite fundamental group, and for SO(1) it is trivial.

In non-relativistic mechanics, one can have spinless fermions or spin-1/2 bosons, etc., and one needs relativity to force the identification of half-integer spin with fermions and integer spin with bosons. But a similar statement applies to SO(n,1), the Lorentz group of n spatial dimensions.

A more general classification would be that they are non-Abelian anyons, if I understand the term correctly.
"The fool saith in his heart that there is no empty set. But if that were so, then the set of all such sets would be empty, and hence it would be the empty set." -- Wesley Salmon
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

I understood some words of what you just said, like,
They...
not...
have...

The rest made my brain hurt. :D
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Wait, I thought a photon WAS essentially a matter and antimatter particle combined? I'd just about wrapped my head round that...so are we talking a simple 'blend' of particles or wierd trippy scary quantum superposition shit?
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Unfortunately, I never really got the hang of quantum field theory, which places me decisively far behind Kuroneko in my gasp of this subject. Very frustrating, enough to make me dream of going back to grad school and trying over. However, I fondly imagine that I remember enough pre-Field Theory physics to at least sort of get the philosophical questions involved here.

Photons are... a type of thing that has no antiparticle, or which is its own antiparticle; it amounts to the same thing. It's not a composite thing, it's a fundamental thing which is not made up of smaller parts so far as we know. So no, it's not composed of matter and antimatter.

A Majorana fermion isn't composed of matter and antimatter either; it's a kind of matter to which the concept of "antiparticle" is not applicable.

Antiparticles' existence is a consequence of duality imposed on them by the way physical laws work. It is not a physical law that all things have antiparticles; it is a physical law that allows certain things to have antiparticles, and therefore makes it possible that antiparticles can come to be. Just as the same set of laws also allows the particles themselves to exist.

In other words, you examine one of the many solutions to the Standard Model equations of physics. This solution describes a thing, X. Say, an electron. And, doing the math, the existence of X implies the possibility of anti-X. So we can infer that just as electrons may exist, anti-electrons may exist, and lo and behold both of them can be found in nature.

However, that is a statement about X (or a related set of things X1, X2, X3, and so on). The 'particles have antiparticles' statement may well come from specific details of the math that describes X (and its relatives).

So it may also be possible to have one of the other solutions to the Standard Model equations provide for the existence of Y. And Y may have different properties and may NOT imply the possibility of an anti-Y. Y is not a particle* or an antiparticle... it's just... itself. Ask whether it is matter or antimatter, and the answer is mu.

*In the sense of being not-antimatter.
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

I'm even less educated on the subject than Simon, but I believe the following is true, if an oversimiplification:

Any particle contains a mixture of conserved and nonconserved quantities.

The conserved quantities include mass-energy, charge, and certain other conserved quantum numbers.

The nonconserved quantities can be described in the aggregate as "information."

An antiparticle Y' can be defined with respect to particle Y by the statement, "The sum of all conserved quantities in the system containing Y and Y' in equal proportion has units of mass-energy."

Therefore, for a particle Y to be described as being its own antiparticle implies only: "Y has no conserved quantities other than mass-energy."

I'm not convinced that there are any actual antiparticles in play in the system, despite a Scientific American article that names "antielectrons" as critical to the experiment's results. Electron holes (a virtual particle with negative electron mass and positive electron charge that satisfies the mathematical requirements for electricity while assuming that positive charge moves, rather than negative charge) seem like a more viable candidate, what with them not requiring the experiment to come up with positrons from somewhere. If that's the case, then I'm pretty sure the "particles" that the experiment found should have no conservative quantities at all. The abstract for the actual journal article describes them as "zero energy end states," which might support my guess, but I'm way out of my depth.

Regardless, despite being called particles, they can't exist in isolation, but only as an edge state on other stuff.

If anybody works at an institution or has a local library with a subscription to Science's pre-print service, you can read the actual peer-reviewed article here.

The rest of us have to wait for the print version if we want to actually know anything, because looking for truth in non-peer-reviewed "science journalism" is a fool's errand.
Kuroneko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kuroneko »

In (relativistic) quantum field theory, the Poincaré group defines the notion of "particle", because this is the symmetry group of special relativity: translations, rotations, Lorentz boosts. This ensures that their existence can be unambiguously defined in an invariant way. The Poincaré group has the Casimir invariants of mass, spin, and parity, which form the "external" quantum numbers associated with spacetime.

These may or may not be supplemented by "internal" quantum numbers, such as electric charge, color charge, isobaric spin, weak isospin, lepton number, etc. One can think of charge conjugation as flipping all additive internal quantum numbers. Hence, for photons, which have no internal quantum numbers, charge conjugation is completely trivial, and so one can either think of them as their own antiparticles or having no antiparticles, depending on one's preference.

The free Dirac Lagrangian is invariant under multiplication by some phase factor, ψ' = e-iαψ, which is a U(1) symmetry that generates a conserved Noether charge, the particle number. The particle number may be any positive, zero, or negative; the physical interpretation of this are particles and antiparticles. For the electron's Dirac field is coupled to the electromagnetic field, the resulting Lagrangian also having the similar symmetry, except that now the resulting Noether charge has the physical interpretation of electric charge.

Simon_Jester, if you remember the harmonic oscillator, the situation is formally similar. A common presentation is in terms what are called by various names, the ladder operators, the raising and lowering operators, or creation and annihilation operators:
[1] a± = -(±ip - mωx)/√(2ℏmω),
which raise or lower the nth energy eigenstate of the harmonic oscillator, a±|n〉 = |n±1〉 up to normalization. But for the harmonic oscillator, a-|0〉 = 0 identically, so trying go below the ground state gets us nonsense. The 'ladder' goes one way from the ground state.

For the electromagnetic field, the ground state is the vacuum, and trying to apply the annihilation operator to it similarly fails to work. On the other hand, for a Dirac field ground state, it does work. There, it goes both ways from the ground state, except that in the modern interpretation the field is decomposed into particle and antiparticle parts to essentially give two one-way ladders instead. (The archaic interpretation is the Dirac sea.)

The 'duality' is best motivated by not worrying about the complexities of spinors, and just consider scalar fields that would produce spinless particles. Real scalar fields don't have distinct antiparticles, but complex scalar fields do. For the Dirac field, the Majorana particle is equivalent to a purely real solution to the Dirac equation. There are actually infinitely many representations that halve the degrees of freedom of the Dirac field in an equivalent way, but that's the most straightforward.
"The fool saith in his heart that there is no empty set. But if that were so, then the set of all such sets would be empty, and hence it would be the empty set." -- Wesley Salmon
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I believe I understood most of the first half of your explanation, and all the second half of your explanation (I did take first year graduate QM, just not field theory).

If so, then it would seem that my rather... abstract and philosophical explanation is more-or-less correct, even though it does not address any of the technical or mathematical aspects. Does that sound like the case? If not, what bits do you consider to be incorrect?