How would humanity react if Mermaids were real?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

How would humanity react if Mermaids were real?

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

So many of you have seen the 'Mermaids' documentaries on Discovery/Animal planet. Its a FICTIONAL presentation of scientists discovering evidence for actual mermaids living in the world today.

They don't look human, but appear to be tool-using marine mammals diverged from humans millions of years ago. My question is, if this were true and on June 1st 2013 there was real incontrovertible proof made public that a second sentient race of humanoids was living in our oceans, how do you think the world would react?

Would we teach them? Partner with them? Would they be a curiosity and put in preserves?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: How would humanity react if Mermaids were real?

Post by Thanas »

Japanese would eat them.

The rest of the world would try and make contact and predictably fail.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I foresee decades of whether they're truly sentient or people (tool-use isn't terribly specific or revealing) and what to do with the knowledge as we try and communicate. Most people's day to day living wouldn't be much affected.

Ironically, I see scientists erring on the side of caution regarding mermaid's sentience and the worth of their lives, and religious people demonizing them.

Long term, maybe a boost to "not dumping crap in the ocean" environmentalism.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Demonizing them? I don't know. It all depends on if they wear clothes or not. IIRC if they do than they have the idea of shame and thus have a soul and need to be Christianized. If not than they are animals. I am sure I watched some documentary or the other that talked about people in the middle ages musing like that about dog people and the like. So this should be no different.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Why would you expect people to react exactly the way they would a thousand years ago as if nothing has changed?

If you told a man of a thousand years ago what modern structural engineering makes possible, and asked him what he expected us to do with it, he'd say "build mile-tall cathedrals." Because that is what they did with their greatest architectural knowledge: spent decades working slowly and laboriously on giant churches that were larger than any other building in their home city, often orders of magnitude larger.

Today we don't do that. So why would you expect people to react to other, unexpected stimuli with medieval instincts. Primitive maybe, but not specifically medieval.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Not people, just the various churches. Or rather just the official response of the various churches. I am not talking priests or bishops here either but the actual official response. Any church out there primarily wants more followers. And when it comes to discovering a new sentient species their first priority would likely be to look for some way to identify if they are worth of being christianized or not. And to do that they have to fall back on what ever established doctrine they can find. And if the way church doctrine keeps getting updated to match modern times is any indication that might well be something quite old. Seriously, the churches can't even cave in to social pressure about minor things. It is not likely that they have even seriously considered changing their policies on animal people.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

Would we teach them? Partner with them? Would they be a curiosity and put in preserves?
Likely all three. And Japanese trying to eat them. The difficulties we encounter trying to communicate with other marine mammals may not be so apparent if these creatures are tool makers and can use their hands to sign or draw abstract symbols. Provide them with pen and slate and see what happens.

I am a bit disappointed in the Discovery Channel/Animal Planet for airing what should have been on Scyfy, for precisely the reason that I do a Google for the program and see all these people asking if the show was real or not. It reminds me of Orson Wells' War of the Worlds radio show. What would happen if they aired a mockumentary on Chtulhu?
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

TOSDOC wrote: What would happen if they aired a mockumentary on Chtulhu?
I don't know, but now I really want to find out.
ImageImage
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Disney is the first to capitalize on the discovery. Real mermaids are soon part of Disney parks worldwide.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Purple wrote:Not people, just the various churches. Or rather just the official response of the various churches.
You didn't specify that.

Besides, is the official response of the churches even relevant, when the vast majority of humanity lives under secular governments that ignore churches when it suits them to?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Purple wrote:Not people, just the various churches. Or rather just the official response of the various churches.
You didn't specify that.

Besides, is the official response of the churches even relevant, when the vast majority of humanity lives under secular governments that ignore churches when it suits them to?
Well I did not explicitly make a quote but my post was a reply for Ahriman238, in particular:
and religious people demonizing them
I got used to not quoting people when I post right under them.

As for it mattering or not that is irrelevant. After all this is a speculation thread about what if mermaids are real. So me speculating on how a subset of human kind would react to them relevant or not is still fair.

Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

I figure that there'll be a big push to use them for undersea development, and probably military uses. Dolphins are already being used militarily, and they don't even have hands. The exact details on what would happen depend on how intelligent and communicative they turn out to be.
TOSDOC wrote: What would happen if they aired a mockumentary on Chtulhu?
They get an award for Best Mockumentary when everyone who watches it goes mad? :lol:
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:I figure that there'll be a big push to use them for undersea development, and probably military uses.
Use them as underwater boarding parties for enemy submarines? :D
Hawkwings wrote:Disney is the first to capitalize on the discovery. Real mermaids are soon part of Disney parks worldwide.
Nope. BP would hire them to man their oil derricks.
Needs moar dakka
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I said demonizing, because that's honestly what I see happening. I see the religious right getting involved very early in the debate about mermaid sentience/rights, and not in favor of the fish-people.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Its hard to say something isn't sentient when it can build a spear and hunts in coordinated groups.
ImageImage
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Its hard to say something isn't sentient when it can build a spear and hunts in coordinated groups.
Was that part of it? Okay, that's a strong argument. But let us never deny the awesome power people have to deny the obvious when they don't like the idea.

Oh, and here's another change, Marine Biology becomes a lot more ineresting, gets more funding and bright-eyed young students/interns.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Collectors would pay a lot of money for pair, no questions asked.

USA shows no inhibition of using submarine sonars near dolphins/whales, expect any mermaid group close to their shore to go deaf pretty quickly, if not die outright from pulse. These would necessarily have only a fraction of whale's ear size (and thus less shielding/durability).

Ditto for US fishermen from the south, all civilized countries and US north install escape hatches in nets, rednecks just close them shut with wire so Muslim sea terrorist varmint don't steal their catch (already happens with sea turtles and dolphins).

Some enterprising lawyer sues US companies on shore dumping waste on their behalf, Republitards pass laws stating only US citizens are able to do so and deregulate waste management further in response, mostly out of spite and/or because Joe the Rich cannot be assed to pay for new filters in his factory dump pipe.

About sums it up.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Humankind's greed will completely exploit them to oblivion. Massive amounts of money will be made at the mermaids' expense. I do not see any good coming from this.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Enigma wrote:Humankind's greed will completely exploit them to oblivion. Massive amounts of money will be made at the mermaids' expense. I do not see any good coming from this.
Really? Why not?

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Purple wrote:
Enigma wrote:Humankind's greed will completely exploit them to oblivion. Massive amounts of money will be made at the mermaids' expense. I do not see any good coming from this.
Really? Why not?
Because to the world at large and especially here in the U.S., mermaids and mermen are an untapped resource. They'll be used, exploited and profited from until they are forgotten.

Sure, civil rights people and the environmentalists will use this to further their agenda (they better do). There will be token efforts by the governments to protect the merfolk but unless they're similar to human in sentience and sapience, they'll be treated nothing more than a curiosity, profited from and then shoved aside.

Worse, will be those who will wonder if they are tasty and try hunt them for food.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Enigma wrote:Because to the world at large and especially here in the U.S., mermaids and mermen are an untapped resource. They'll be used, exploited and profited from until they are forgotten.
Well yes. But this is something that happens even to our fellow humans all the time. And if anything human kind would stand to get a benefit out of things this time round as the victims are not us for a change. Especially if it turns out that they are less mere-people and more mere-chimps (see the rest of the post). So I am not sure I can settle for evil just yet.
Sure, civil rights people and the environmentalists will use this to further their agenda (they better do).
I am not sure if this falls under civil rights or animal rights thou. It all depends on just how sentient they are and how advanced their intelligence is. As in if they are closer to us or to chimps and other tool using monkeys. There are after all tool using intelligent acting animals today that we don't quite classify as people. Do they have a language? Culture? Or are they just aquatic tool using mammals. As in are they mere-people or mere-chimps? The OP did not give us enough data to work with to determine that.
There will be token efforts by the governments to protect the merfolk but unless they're similar to human in sentience and sapience, they'll be treated nothing more than a curiosity, profited from and then shoved aside.
Well the same is true for much, much more important issues such as human rights. In light of that I can't really settle for "bad" on this. More like "meh". But maybe I am just jaded.
Worse, will be those who will wonder if they are tasty and try hunt them for food.
That I don't think will happen. We already have serious social taboos about eating sentient looking animals like monkeys. I don't think society as a general would buy into merefolk flesh. Some random people might do it. But it isn't likely to become a standard.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Purple wrote:That I don't think will happen. We already have serious social taboos about eating sentient looking animals like monkeys. I don't think society as a general would buy into merefolk flesh. Some random people might do it. But it isn't likely to become a standard.
And there are some societies on this planet who do not give a fig leaf about those standards and who try to promote eating sentient looking animals as a standard.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Thanas wrote:
Purple wrote:That I don't think will happen. We already have serious social taboos about eating sentient looking animals like monkeys. I don't think society as a general would buy into merefolk flesh. Some random people might do it. But it isn't likely to become a standard.
And there are some societies on this planet who do not give a fig leaf about those standards and who try to promote eating sentient looking animals as a standard.
Indeed. But I newer said that there would be no people that do it. I am sure some societies and groups would do it. Hell to be blunt I probably would not decline it if offered some. But if present experience with monkeys and the like is any indication they should represent a rather small subset of the human population.

SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Remember the Tasmanians? THAT is going to happen (minus the warfare, plus loads of poaching).
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

I think Thanas meant Japanese/Scandinavian stance on whales/dolphins...