Venus passage.

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

CJvR
Sith Devotee

Venus passage.

Post by CJvR »

I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Re: Venus passage.

Post by CJvR »

I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

My old friend from college has a telescope so he comes up with the cool idea of everyone going to the park and watching Venus. We're all like YEA COOL. And we do. We get there about when it starts, but there are clouds, just a few. We get set up, and the sun peeks through. Long enough for everyone to get about a ten second view of Venus. Clouds come in again, and there's no break. We wait around anyway, just in case. We chill for two hours, and the park closes. On the way home, the sun comes out again just long enough to blind us as it sets.

The sun be trollin' us. :wtf:
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

I made a little pinhole helioscope out of a shoebox and stared at the image of the sun for an hour and a half until it set, but I didn't see Venus :(
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

The pre-monsoon clouds decided to hit here today. Think just a massive horizon-to-horizon grey ceiling. Or Britain.

There are quite a few astronomy enthusiasts in India and not to mention the school trips to planetariums I heard were being planned. I feel bad for them.

FUCK YOU, CLIMATE!
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
Sute
Youngling

Post by Sute »

Took my binoculars out and focused the sun's light through them onto a piece of paper, but I didn't see Venus. It was right when the transit was supposed to be starting, so I figured it was just too early and that I'd check back in a little while. Cue the rain, which fell until after sunset.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Surlethe wrote:I made a little pinhole helioscope out of a shoebox and stared at the image of the sun for an hour and a half until it set, but I didn't see Venus :(
That's because you made a little pinhole helioscope out of a shoebox. What you need to do is, like I did, make a crude solar filter out of a Pop Tart wrapper. Using it, I saw Venus briefly, after the clouds moved out of the way and before the sun set behind the trees.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

It should be noted, though, that using wrappers, old diskettes, and other non sun-rated materials might be harmful for your eyes even if the visible light seems to be greatly reduced, or so the opticians in my country said, at least.
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

#12+ Welding glass works fine and is quite cheap on amazon. Ugly green tint though.

(Posted results @ http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 2#p3684442 )

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor