What Did We Gain From The Genocides of WW2?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Edi
Dragonlord
Dragonlord

What Did We Gain From The Genocides of WW2?

Post by Edi »

Most everyone usually agrees that WW2 as a whole and the actions of the Nazis in particular were not a good thing. But was anything gained from those horrors? In a word, yes. Medical knowledge would be but a fraction of what it is today without the horrible human experiments conducted by the Nazis and the Japanese, because after all, no moral person would conduct such experiments on another human being. The level of medical care we take for granted came at the cost of millions of innocent lives. Something to think about the next time you have to go to a doctor.

As a side note, everyone is always talking about how the Nazis and their genocide of Jews was the worst imaginable thing to have been done. The Japanese are rarely mentioned in the same breath, if at all, and the Nazis were amateurs compared to them. Check the link, it's to a discussion over at the History section of the Heavengames forums. Should be a real eye-opener. Was for me at least.

http://www.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/foru ... 4565,0,all

Edi
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I find the whole thing Ironic, and ignore the Japanise because Stalin and Mao both killed more people in each of thier countrys than Germany and Japan did put togther and times two

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

I find the whole thing Ironic, and ignore the Japanise because Stalin and Mao both killed more people in each of thier countrys than Germany and Japan did put togther and times two
true, but the nature of japanese atroctcies was far greater then those of Germany and Russia. Remeber the infamous "Rape of nanking" in 1937, no other dictator had so many killed in that short peroid of time. they killed fro sport as well, no other dictatorship did that.

the U.S bombing of Japan with atomic bombs combined didn't kill as much as this one act.
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

We learned two very important things:

How horrible and utterly evil mankind can be. Industrilaized death, experiments, destruction of entire civilian populations....

How heroic mankind can be. We saw young men and women marching off to confront the evil that theratened to swallow up the world, with no hope of victory in sight and they held together and won, THEN rebuilt the lands of their former enemies.

The duality of man...nothing can be more inspiring and terrifying all at the same time.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Personally I think we learned that some people don't learn from War *Cough*Isreal*Cough*
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
VilliageIdiot
Youngling

Post by VilliageIdiot »

Mr Bean wrote:I find the whole thing Ironic, and ignore the Japanise because Stalin and Mao both killed more people in each of thier countrys than Germany and Japan did put togther and times two
Do you have the statistics handy? Because this is the first time I've heard of such a claim, so I'd like to know where the numbers come from. Thanks in advance.
"Please explain to me the scientific nature of the 'whammy'."

Post by Guest »

On one hand, wartime always speeds up the development of new technologies, which does benefit mankind in the long run.

On the other hand, we learned nothing that we wouldn't have learned anyway - even if it'd have taken a few years longer.

The one thing we did learn that is perhaps the most important was the destructive potential of nuclear weapons. I wonder if everyone would be so terrified of using them if Hiroshima had never happened.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

By Village Idiot:
Do you have the statistics handy? Because this is the first time I've heard of such a claim, so I'd like to know where the numbers come from. Thanks in advance.
Stalin:
From 1934 to 1938 -- 7,000,000 people
source: BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/modern/s ... alihtm.htm

Mao:
I'm having difficuly finding an exact number. Some sources say 35 million , others say 15 million.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

No accurate records exist of how many Stalin killed. Most information is based off of comparisons of the last Czar era census to the late 1920's Soviet ones. Adjustments are made for the number of people who should have been born but were not because their potential parents were killed.

Such can give you numbers from five to over twenty seven million. Personally I've seen more support for 20 odd million killed then anything else. But where never going to know.

WW2 brought us advancements in almost every field of technology that would have taken at least a decade, in the case of nuclear power likely longer, to achieve without the war.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
VilliageIdiot
Youngling

Post by VilliageIdiot »

Thanks to Next of Kin and Sea Skimmer for the statistics and the reference.
Sea Skimmer wrote:Adjustments are made for the number of people who should have been born but were not because their potential parents were killed.
Was the same adjustment made when calculating the deaths caused by Hitler's genocide and the Japanese Rape of Nanking?
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

I am unsure the concentration camps did much for medical knowledge - some of the experiments were mind bogglingly stupid. for example, they took a prisoner and put him in iceberg flavoured water for several hours, then had camp prostitutes 'revive' him - to see how to get luftwaffe pilots healthier after high ceiling flying.

what they found, not unsuprisingly, was that one girl warmed him better then two, and blankets and a warm room better then a girl.

not as if we hadn't been using that idea for 6 thousand yrs or anything.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

VilliageIdiot wrote:Thanks to Next of Kin and Sea Skimmer for the statistics and the reference.
Sea Skimmer wrote:Adjustments are made for the number of people who should have been born but were not because their potential parents were killed.
Was the same adjustment made when calculating the deaths caused by Hitler's genocide and the Japanese Rape of Nanking?
The adjustment mind you is not to count the unborn as being KILLED by Stalin, but to avoid doing just that.

Its not necessary to do this because allot of first hand data can be found for the Holocaust, most from captured German records, and to a lesser extent Nanking. Ironically, a lot of the information's comes from the Nazi Consulate in the city. The Japanese where not willing to enter its grounds, or restrict the movement of personal from it who had Nazi armbands. As a result a lot of wounded where saved through the efforts of its staff, and allot of data got gathered first hand.

However, estimates on the number killed in the rape of Nanking vary by tens of thousands. Suffice to say though, over 100,000 where killed and every IJA solider present should have been shot for war crimes.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

We did not learnt anything from the Genocides. There is no such "Medical advancements" done in the fields which you could not develop in peace somewhere in the same time. We all know already how much ignorance can kill and how much war can make "heroic" myths.
If we have more wisdow after the war what is happening in Israel would not be happening right now.
Muffin is food. Food is good. I am a Muffin. I am good.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Didn't the s base some of their research, such as research on twins, on pseudoscience?
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
VilliageIdiot
Youngling

Post by VilliageIdiot »

Sea Skimmer wrote: The adjustment mind you is not to count the unborn as being KILLED by Stalin, but to avoid doing just that.
Thanks for the clear up.
Icehawk
Jedi Council Member

Post by Icehawk »

We did not learnt anything from the Genocides. There is no such "Medical advancements" done in the fields which you could not develop in peace somewhere in the same time.
Actually we did. I saw a documentary a while back and one of the experiments conducted by German scientists consisted of body resistence to extreme temperatures. Perticularily on how much the human body and organs can tolerate in freezing cold water and about hypothermia and such. We learned a great deal from those experiments. We could not have learned so much if human subjects were not used.
lgot
Jedi Knight

Post by lgot »

Its a failure. We still learning much more than they ever did, since like someone pointed , much of their experiments are a waste, because they basead it in "pseudoscience". We could have learned all they did, which was not big, because one of the problem of decande of the Nazis are that Hitler, the crazy lunatic, stopped working with science and development to follow his arianism stupidy.
We could have learned all that in the same time with other methods.
Muffin is food. Food is good. I am a Muffin. I am good.