Before the Dinosaurs? Atlantis "Spiders"

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Before the Dinosaurs? Atlantis "Spiders"

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Eight-Armed Animal Preceded Dinosaurs
Jennifer Viegas, Discovery News

Oct. 30, 2008 -- An eight-armed creature that looked more like a modern party favor than a living animal colonized a large section of the world's oceans over 300 million years before the first dinosaurs emerged, suggests a new study.

The findings represent the first comparable animal fossils from the Ediacaran Period, 635 to 541 million years ago, which appear in two drastically different preservation environments -- black shale of South China and quartz rock of South Australia.

"According to paleogeographic reconstructions, South China and South Australia were close to each other at the time, belonging to a supercontinent called Gondwana," lead author Maoyan Zhu told Discovery News.

Zhu, a scientist at the Nanjing Institute of Geology and Paleontology at the Chinese Academy of Sciences, first helped to make the China/Aussie connection two years ago during a Beijing conference. He showed a photo of the unusual eight-armed creature, called Eoandromeda octobrachiata, to co-author James Gehling of the South Australia Museum.

"He was so surprised and immediately opened his laptop and showed me images of new fossils uncovered from a new locality at the Flinders Ranges of South Australia," Zhu said. "We wondered if these were the same fossils."

Zhu, Gehling and their colleagues collected eight compressions of the animals from the Doushantuo Formation at Wenghui, China. They then traveled to Flinders Ranges, Australia, and collected seven specimens, leaving 31 others on two excavated and reassembled beds.

The findings are published in the November issue of Geology.

There is no question the creature, believed to represent one type of animal, had a lot of arms.

"The eight arms are clearly preserved in our specimens," Zhu said, adding that the arms were tubular and in close contact with each other, but not joined.

He and his colleagues believe the animal was a soft-bodied, dome-shaped organism that lived on seabeds and fed by absorbing dissolved nutrients from the ambient environment.

Before the latest fossils were found, some researchers identified the creatures as lichens or fungus-like organisms, but Zhu and his team suspect that at least some Ediacara fossils represent now-extinct diploblastic animals, or creatures that possess only two cellular layers separated by a jelly-type substance.

"Diploblastic animals are common creatures on present day Earth," he said, mentioning that jellyfish, corals and sea anemones belong to the group.

"These animals (display) radial symmetry but lack complex organs, as shown by E. octobrachiata," he added.

The multi-armed creature, and several other early life forms, went extinct around 542 million years ago, which Zhu said, "left empty niches for the subsequent Cambrian explosion of complex animals." Representatives of nearly all existent animals emerged at this time, when a rapid increase in oxygen made respiration and metabolism possible.

In a separate paper, Shuhai Xiao, a researcher in the Department of Geosciences at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, and colleague Marc Laflamme provide an overview of Ediacara fossils.

In the paper, which has been accepted for publication in the journal Trends in Ecology & Evolution, Xiao and Laflamme agree that, "Ediacara biota bridges the cryptic evolution of multicellular life in the early Ediacaran and the extraordinary radiation of animals in the Cambrian period."

In addition to the eight-armed creature, they describe other early living things that looked like leaves, shells, stars and something almost akin to a peace symbol.

Xiao and Laflamme hope that as the Ediacara fossil database grows ever larger, more mysteries about these very early organisms will be solved.
source
Mildly interesting, and I don't care if they're not spiders, eight legged buggers are spiders in my book, even if they are more like underwater snails or conches!
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Re: Before the Dinosaurs? Atlantis "Spiders"

Post by Molyneux »

You must have an interesting view of octopi.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

DEATH wrote:Mildly interesting, and I don't care if they're not spiders, eight legged buggers are spiders in my book, even if they are more like underwater snails or conches!
Probably more like anemones or sponges, or just maybe jellyfish. I think the tentative consensus is that there were few free moving animals, and those mainly grazed on giant mats of bacteria that coated the sea floors. There may have been worms and simple jellies, but since nothing had chitin or mineralized parts, it's hard to be sure. The really neat possibility is that there may have been entire kingdoms that no longer exist. To me the Ediacaran is much more interesting and alien than the Cambrian.

I wish they didn't have to mention dinosaurs. They were relatively recent players in Earth's history. There was a huge amount of time with complex and fascinating liferforms before dinosaurs or even archosaurs appeared. Describing the Ediacaran as before the dinosaurs is like describing the late Neolithic period that saw the rise of the first towns as before Charlemagne.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Johonebesus wrote:I wish they didn't have to mention dinosaurs. They were relatively recent players in Earth's history. There was a huge amount of time with complex and fascinating liferforms before dinosaurs or even archosaurs appeared. Describing the Ediacaran as before the dinosaurs is like describing the late Neolithic period that saw the rise of the first towns as before Charlemagne.
Yeah, but if you're writing for a general audience, dinosaurs are a good "landmark", because 1) everybody has heard of them, and 2) most people know they lived a really long time ago. "A really long time before a really long time ago" is about the best understanding most laymen are going to get; I love prehistoric life and even I have a hard time with numbers that size. For that matter, most people have trouble dealing with the timescales involved in human history; in my experience, people divide time into "my lifetime", "the last hundred years", "everything between Ancient Rome and a hundred years ago", "Ancient Rome", "cave men", and "dinosaurs". Even getting people to understand the Pyramids were already ancient by the time of Jesus is tough. Humans just aren't wired to deal with much longer than a human lifetime; and why would we be? There's no reason for evolution to select for anything longer.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

Molyneux wrote:You must have an interesting view of octopi.
Octopodes. *scurries away*
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

The Ediacaran fauna looks like alien life because it is. Most forms are completely unrelated to anything alive today, while the fauna of the Cambrian and later are really just early, primitive versions of extant creatures. It's an era I really hope to learn more about.
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

I very nearly came in my pants when I saw this. These are the best earliest fossils I've ever seen. SO DAMNED PRETTY.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

hongi wrote:
Dagnabbit, they're all freaking correct! Octopi, octopodes, octopussies, octopuses. They're all accepted plurals of "octopus".

I don't know too much about preCambrian fossils, but anyone who claims that Cambrian animals are not alien should take a hard look at Hallucigenia.
Apollonius
Youngling

Post by Apollonius »

Octopi is as wrong as walri, doofi, autobi and toysauri. :P

DEATH, it's only a spider if it has eight legs. What makes you think these are legs? For all we know, these might be heads or tongues. Personally, I like to think they are penii... Sorry: penes... I mean: penises! :D
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Apollonius wrote: DEATH, it's only a spider if it has eight legs. What makes you think these are legs? For all we know, these might be heads or tongues. Personally, I like to think they are penii... Sorry: penes... I mean: penises! :D
Ah fuckit you humourless gobs, so it's a tiny Cthulhu head :P
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Apollonius wrote:Octopi is as wrong as walri, doofi, autobi and toysauri. :P

DEATH, it's only a spider if it has eight legs. What makes you think these are legs? For all we know, these might be heads or tongues. Personally, I like to think they are penii... Sorry: penes... I mean: penises! :D
Merriam Webster backs me up, man.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Could we only have part of teh organism her like with Anomalocaris for the longest time?
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Molyneux wrote:
hongi wrote:
Dagnabbit, they're all freaking correct! Octopi, octopodes, octopussies, octopuses. They're all accepted plurals of "octopus".

I don't know too much about preCambrian fossils, but anyone who claims that Cambrian animals are not alien should take a hard look at Hallucigenia.
Hallucigenia has been somewhat revised with the discovery of additional fossils and is now arguably (though not proven to be) an onychophoran, or perhaps a relative of anomalocaris which really IS weird what with its lobed body appendages, legs/manipulators that for a long time were thought to be a variety of shrimp, and it's unique circular jaw structure. But my personal favorite has always been wiwaxia, but even more so since some specimens were found with fine enough preservation to reveal structures in its "scales" that might mean it was iridescent which is a cool thing to determine from a fossil.

Cambrian fossils are alien. Ediacaran fossils are bizarrely alien.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

InnerBrat wrote:I very nearly came in my pants when I saw this. These are the best earliest fossils I've ever seen. SO DAMNED PRETTY.
If that's true then what did you think of John McCain? :wink:

*runs away screaming before getting killed*
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Ghetto Edit:

Forgive me for asking, but my memory isn't what it used to be. China and Australia were on opposing sides of the Tethys sea about this time when Gondawana was a continent, but wasn't South Australia right up against Antarctica at the time? If that is the case and these little guys existed long enough to watch the continents drift apart that gives them a really long period of existence. Take that YEC's!

I'd love to see an artistic rendering of what they looked like alive.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Broomstick wrote:Hallucigenia has been somewhat revised with the discovery of additional fossils and is now arguably (though not proven to be) an onychophoran, or perhaps a relative of anomalocaris which really IS weird what with its lobed body appendages, legs/manipulators that for a long time were thought to be a variety of shrimp, and it's unique circular jaw structure. But my personal favorite has always been wiwaxia, but even more so since some specimens were found with fine enough preservation to reveal structures in its "scales" that might mean it was iridescent which is a cool thing to determine from a fossil.

Cambrian fossils are alien. Ediacaran fossils are bizarrely alien.
Wiwaxia...I have not heard of that before. Thank you for giving me something to look up tonight when I get home!

And yes, I had heard of Hallucigenia being revised - but it's still pretty darn bizarre. You have a point as far as the relative levels of alien nature between the two periods, though.