Poll finds religious devotion high in US.

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Max
Jedi Knight

Poll finds religious devotion high in US.

Post by Max »

Durr

Interesting article, none the less.
Poll: Religious Devotion High in U.S. By RACHEL ZOLL, AP Religion Writer
Mon Jun 6, 7:33 AM ET

Religious devotion sets the United States apart from some of its closest allies. Americans profess unquestioning belief in God and are far more willing to mix faith and politics than people in other countries, AP-Ipsos polling found.

In Western Europe, where Pope Benedict XVI complains that growing secularism has left churches unfilled on Sundays, people are the least devout among the 10 countries surveyed for The Associated Press by Ipsos.

Only Mexicans come close to Americans in embracing faith, the poll found. But unlike Americans, Mexicans strongly object to clergy lobbying lawmakers, in line with the nation's historical opposition to church influence.

"In the United States, you have an abundance of religions trying to motivate Americans to greater involvement," said Roger Finke, a sociologist at Penn State University. "It's one thing that makes a tremendous difference here."

The polling was conducted in May in the United States, Australia, Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Mexico, South Korea and Spain.

Nearly all U.S. respondents said faith is important to them and only 2 percent said they do not believe in God. Almost 40 percent said religious leaders should try to sway policymakers, notably higher than in other countries.

"Our nation was founded on Judeo-Christian policies and religious leaders have an obligation to speak out on public policy, otherwise they're wimps," said David Black, a retiree from Osborne, Pa., who agreed to be interviewed after he was polled.

In contrast, 85 percent of French object to clergy activism — the strongest opposition of any nation surveyed. France has strict curbs on public religious expression and, according to the poll, 19 percent are atheists. South Korea is the only other nation with that high a percentage of nonbelievers.

Australians are generally split over the importance of faith, while two-thirds of South Koreans and Canadians said religion is central to their lives. People in all three countries strongly oppose mixing religion and politics.

Researchers disagree over why people in the United States have such a different religious outlook, said Brent Nelsen, an expert in politics and religion at Furman University in South Carolina.

Some say rejecting religion is a natural response to modernization and consider the United States a strange exception to the trend. Others say Europe is the anomaly; people in modernized countries inevitably return to religion because they yearn for tradition, according to the theory.

Some analysts, like Finke, use a business model. According to his theory, a long history of religious freedom in the United States created a greater supply of worship options than in other countries, and that proliferation inspired wider observance. Some European countries still subsidize churches, in effect regulating or limiting religious options, Finke said.

History also could be a factor.

Many countries other than the United States have been through bloody religious conflict that contributes to their suspicion of giving clergy any say in policy.

A variety of factors contribute to the sentiment about separating religion and politics.

"In Germany, they have a Christian Democratic Party, and they talk about Christian values, but they don't talk about them in quite the same way that we do," Nelsen said. "For them, the Christian part of the Christian values are held privately and it's not that acceptable to bring those out into the open."

In Spain, where the government subsidizes the Catholic Church, and in Germany, which is split between Catholics and Protestants, people are about evenly divided over whether they consider faith important. The results are almost identical in Britain, whose state church, the Church of England, is struggling to fill pews.

Italians are the only European exception in the poll. Eighty percent said religion is significant to them and just over half said they unquestioningly believe in God.

But even in Italy, home to the Catholic Church, resistance to religious engagement in politics is evident. Only three in 10 think the clergy should try to influence government decisions; a lower percentage in Spain, Germany and England said the same.

Within the United States, some of the most pressing policy issues involve complex moral questions — such as gay marriage, abortion and stem cell research — that understandably draw religious leaders into public debate, said John Green, an expert on religion and politics at the University of Akron.

The poll found Republicans are much more likely than Democrats to think clergy should try to influence government decisions — a sign of the challenges ahead for Democrats as they attempt to reach out to more religious voters.

"Rightly or wrongly, Republicans tend to perceive religion as, quote-unquote, `on their side,'" Green said.

The survey did find trends in belief that transcend national boundaries. Women tend to be more devout than men, and older people have stronger faith than younger people.

The Associated Press-Ipsos polls of about 1,000 adults in each of the 10 countries were taken May 12-26. Each has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

What a surprise.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

the polls for the last presidential election should have been enough to tell you this.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I wish that theyd just get it over with,
& call themselves the brothers of The holy orthodox church of White christ, and stop messing about with normal parties.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

News Flash! The fucking sky is also *gasp* BLUE!
Max
Jedi Knight

Post by Max »

I guess what was interesting in that article, for me, was other that other countries looking down on religious leaders swaying political issues. I'm not too familiar with how other countries opperate in that regard.
Max
Jedi Knight

Post by Max »

operate*
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Yes, we know it is self-evident. But his article is still interesting.
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Stofsk wrote:Yes, we know it is self-evident. But his article is still interesting.
I agree, as the comparisons with other countries' views was interesting.
I'd be interested in seeing how it breaks down regionally within the US.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Post by Robert Walper »

In other news: "Water found in the Great Lakes!" :shock:
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Not a surprise that the continent that was RAVAGED by religious wars is still mindful enough of their dangers to keep religion at arms length in government .... or that the whackos who fled that continent to found their little theocratic fiefdoms in the New World were not necessarily the best thing to ever happen to it ....
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I thought the Mayflower would have taken some reasonable people along who wanted away from religious conflicts in the Old World as well as those raving loonies we call evangelicals.
Drunk Monkey
Padawan Learner

Post by Drunk Monkey »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:I thought the Mayflower would have taken some reasonable people along who wanted away from religious conflicts in the Old World as well as those raving loonies we call evangelicals.
Lets just send the evangelicals to the moon, to keep with the precedent of sending religious zealots far far away.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:I thought the Mayflower would have taken some reasonable people along who wanted away from religious conflicts in the Old World as well as those raving loonies we call evangelicals.
The Mayflower brought over the Puritans, who left England because the Church of England wasn't nearly hardcore enough for them and because they thought just about everyone was corrupt. This made them alot of insufferable pricks. They left because they wanted less religious tolerance and freedom, not more.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Gil Hamilton wrote:The Mayflower brought over the Puritans, who left England because the Church of England wasn't nearly hardcore enough for them and because they thought just about everyone was corrupt. This made them alot of insufferable pricks. They left because they wanted less religious tolerance and freedom, not more.
Minor nitpick: The Mayflower was used by separatists, not Puritans. The Mayflower pilgrims wanted to separate from the church, whilst the Puritans wanted to purify it.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Firefox wrote:Minor nitpick: The Mayflower was used by separatists, not Puritans. The Mayflower pilgrims wanted to separate from the church, whilst the Puritans wanted to purify it.
The Seperatists weren't all that much different from Puritans or what I said about them, but I suppose I did use the wrong name. I guess they are technically different groups, since even most Puritan groups didn't want to deal with them due to their extreme nature (when Puritans call you extremists, you are hardcore). However, after the English Civil War, they weren't all that different.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Jalinth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jalinth »

mplsjocc wrote:I guess what was interesting in that article, for me, was other that other countries looking down on religious leaders swaying political issues. I'm not too familiar with how other countries opperate in that regard.
Probably because most other countries have had direct experience where religious leaders (or those deliberately crusading for a religion) have caused sheer chaos, terror and were basically directed at least part of the goverment. And not even that long ago in many countries (Ireland was a good example, so was Spain. If you are willing to go sub-national, Quebec is another that went from a quasi-theocracy outside of the major cities to the very non-puritanical society they have now.)

The US has never had that strong "unified" national church which could sweep up the entire country. Parts of it might be semi-theocratic (Utah), but otherwise you have a patchwork of churches, groups, etc... that are loosely affiliated and have never had the ability to completely dominate public society. Although the last 5 to 10 years has seen these groups start to come together and agree on some common goals. And then have gone out and executed them with a high degree of success (see Bush, George W. Jr, as example 1).
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
Firefox wrote:Minor nitpick: The Mayflower was used by separatists, not Puritans. The Mayflower pilgrims wanted to separate from the church, whilst the Puritans wanted to purify it.
The Seperatists weren't all that much different from Puritans or what I said about them, but I suppose I did use the wrong name. I guess they are technically different groups, since even most Puritan groups didn't want to deal with them due to their extreme nature (when Puritans call you extremists, you are hardcore). However, after the English Civil War, they weren't all that different.
Good point. I have to admit it was a bit of a nitpick to point out the difference.
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

So when do you think the Vatican will relocate to Bumpkinville, Kansas?
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Drunk Monkey wrote:
Lets just send the evangelicals to the moon, to keep with the precedent of sending religious zealots far far away.
That's a Heinlein novel begging to be rewritten. The Chief Deity will be a super-AI called Mike, his prophet will be a Russian revolutionary who can't speak good English, and the fundies will terrorise the Old World by lobbing giant crates of grain at the Earth's surface, causing unspeakable devastation and bringing about armageddon.

Insert some sexism and make the Old World full of Dirty Liberals, and you'd have "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" the likes of which Ann Coulter could love to read.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Drunk Monkey wrote:Lets just send the evangelicals to the moon, to keep with the precedent of sending religious zealots far far away.
Then they'll just build mass-drivers and threaten to bomb us unless we repent and abandon our sinful ways. No, we need to put them in self-sustaining colonies under the sea where they won't bother anyone. Then we can go back in 25 years and watch them come out, take one look at the popular entertainment, and run right back in.

Stofsk: Are you sure Orson Scott Card wouldn't make a better author for that book? ;)
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

any bets usa would need a superfundy theocractic dark ages before they realize sep of c and s is a good idea?

just a hunch
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Max
Jedi Knight

Post by Max »

Does the article offer anything beneficial? Would comparing the US to foreign affairs be pointless, as only the US is bound by our Constitution?