A game: Creationist Argument of the Week

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

DasBastard
Redshirt

A game: Creationist Argument of the Week

Post by DasBastard »

I propose a sort of game: each week (or maybe a shorter time period would be more appropriate?) someone posts a creationist argument. All willing comers then get a chance to horribly dismember the argument with the Gleaming Chainsaw of Science and Logic (tm). The person who provides the best rebuttal (as chosen by the poster of the creationist argument) gets to be the next poster/judge.

Under the assumption that there will be interested participants, I will begin:
The laws of thermodynamics are consistent with creation. The Bible pictures a world created perfect, but subjected to the law of death and decay after the introduction of sin. In contrast, evolution pictures a world that gradually grows from simple to complex, from disorder to order. This is a direct contradiction to the second law of thermodynamics.
Solid Snake
Jedi Council Member

Post by Solid Snake »

Yes, they have tried that argument many a time. I cant remember the explanation for it, my Christian Burner sword is a little dull right now.
US Army Infantry: Follow Me!

Heavy Armor Brigade
Straha
Lord of the Spam

Post by Straha »

Come on be a little more realistic

::ahem:: MiMiMiMi Fa fa fa fa lo lo lo lo

Alright

Although Micro-evolution has been proven, macro-evolution has never been proven, and is so abhorent to god's will that it must never ever be considered happpening lest you go to hell. Also rememer you must never ever question me lest you AUTOMATICALLY go to hell. Also mutations are never ever ever beneficial and are only harmful to the mutatee, just look at chernobyl, and other radioactive experiments. Finally I shall give $666,666,666 to the person who can conlusivley prove evolution. That's right $666,666,666 guarenteed to whoever can prove it, and if you answer to this and are wrong you will go to the deepest, foulest, darkest, and one with the most flames pits of hell.
'After 9/11, it was "You're with us or your with the terrorists." Now its "You're with Straha or you support racism."' ' - The Romulan Republic

'You're a bully putting on an air of civility while saying that everything western and/or capitalistic must be bad, and a lot of other posters (loomer, Stas Bush, Gandalf) are also going along with it for their own personal reasons (Stas in particular is looking through rose colored glasses)' - Darth Yan
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Please be joking Straha. Anyway, first thing's first. He doesn't state the second law of thermodynamics, which means that he is speaking to laymen. Laymen don't know the second law, and most are too lazy to ask what it is. Also, complexity is another way to say chaos. Not surprised he got that wrong.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

For really dumb creationist arguments, try young-Earth Creationism.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I like the one where people were around in their current form at the time of the dinosaurs. And, it can be proven by some fosilized footprints of a human walking next to a dinosaur. :roll:
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Unfortunatly despite my love for biology, as a high school junior my knowedge of the subject is sub-par. I lend myself better to issues of morality and politics.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Joe Richter
Redshirt

Re: A game: Creationist Argument of the Week

Post by Joe Richter »

The laws of thermodynamics are consistent with creation. The Bible pictures a world created perfect, but subjected to the law of death and decay after the introduction of sin. In contrast, evolution pictures a world that gradually grows from simple to complex, from disorder to order. This is a direct contradiction to the second law of thermodynamics.
The simplest (and REALY obvious) flaw in this argument is that the second law only applies IN CLOSED SYSTEMS. The earth is not a closed system as it recieves constant energy from the sun (as well as other stellar phenomenon, but the suns input dwarfs all these). Therefor, the second law does not apply in this case.

For a more....humerous explination, check out

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/165/mc_hawking.html
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Simplicity=order

hows that?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

More accurately, the only true order is oblivion.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia