Illogical: Why do People Polorize things?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Illogical: Why do People Polorize things?

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Doesn't matter who, we all do this, we poloriize a situation into I'm right and their Wrong. Simply we could see that other people have some valid points but no we leap to attack because we feel that our value is being challenged. or that we are in danger at work.

Just got really angry at a bunch of Truck driver's today, I had to pick up The Bakery Order, and 3 Trucks pulled into the loading docks while I was loading the hatchback. I had to wait for them to leave before I could move my vehicle, and I was supposed to be there and back in a half an hour. I actually yelled at someone for doing their job.

And all I was doing was of course doing my job. On the way back to the Deli I thought about how polorized the arguements here get, and it doesn't matter really who it is arguing we are all guilty of way to much viewing everything as black and white when in reality it rarely is so.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

As one who saw the the Grayness of the Universe at the tender age of four I have to disagree with you, at least at the personal level people don't always polrize things, Its not away your right I'm wrong at the personal level

That being said five or more people and your point saddly holds quite true

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
LadyBarbara
Redshirt

Post by LadyBarbara »

I think this occurs when we see the world only through our eyes and refuse to see the world through any other viewpoint. The ability to emphathize with others and show concern is what separates humans from some of the lower animals and it's very sad to see so little of it in the world today.
Faith is better than belief for belief is when someone else does the thinking. --R. Buckminster Fuller

Wit has truth in it; wisecracking is simply calisthenics with words. --Dorothy Parker
The Yosemite Bear

Yeah, I know, as I pointed out it's a logical fallacy that I am sometimes guilty of, and thus really hate.

I usually try to think of things thorugh multipal angles, and I also caught on to the potential for grayness at an early age.

Part of why I like Film Noir.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Yosemite Bear, just out of curiosity, what did they truck drivers say to you when you asked them to move?
The Yosemite Bear

I've got my load man

beyond hope
Jedi Council Member

Post by beyond hope »

Try and imagine any political party with "moderation!" as it's rallying cry...

That's why you see it. Those polarized opinions are there to distinguish one group from the other and rally support. When you look at the final result, compromises emerge: the "3/5ths of a person" compromise for representation for slave-owning states would be a good example. You can still see it in US government today: the majority of legislators in either party are fairly moderate, the extremes get the most attention but it's the moderates that really get things done. I'm not a member of any political party: if there was a party that was fiscally conservative and socially liberal, without the "smash the state" rhetoric of the Libertarians," I'd join in a heartbeat. It's not the sort of party that would attract a lot of members, however.
EmperorChrostas the Cruel
Rabid Monkey

Post by EmperorChrostas the Cruel »

There are only 2 types of people in this world, those that say there are only 2 types of people in this world, and the rest! :lol:

Seriously, the binary thinking model reduces any issue, to a series of two choices. A, or not A. This is very useful in the micro. I am sure that Mr. Bean uses this method in troubleshooting computers. The more complicated the problem, the larger the number forks in the logic tree you need. At some point, the big picture is easier to see, and more accurate.

I use quantum physics, and newtonian physics, as an example. Below a size limit, newtonian physics appears to fly out the window. Above a certain size, quantum theory seem crazy/illogical.

Most human interaction problems are just to complicated to use binary logic, unless clearly defined, and narrowly considered. Who hit who first, is childs play, compared to who would be a better parent, mom or dad in a child custody case.

I would also ask of Yosetite Bear, were the trucks that blocked you in, legaly parked? Or were they blocking off a driveway?
If you got stuck, because you were in a commercial loading zone, and you didn't plan far enough ahead, you are wrong.
If, on the other hand, they were blocking a driveway, or public easment, they were unlawfully detaining you. The odds of you getting a cop to even show up, much less press your point, before they were done and left anyway is slim. Either way, waiting was your only option.
Hmmmmmm.

"It is happening now, It has happened before, It will surely happen again."
Oldest member of SD.net, not most mature.
Brotherhood of the Monkey