words to live by

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

madd0c0t0r2
Padawan Learner

words to live by

Post by madd0c0t0r2 »

I was an owner of the seventy maxims of maximally effective mercenaries: https://schlockmercenary.fandom.com/wik ... ercenaries

I'm currently drawing a set of fifteen principles of aikido for a christmas present, and the two together got me thinking - what are your words to live by?

1. People are people are people
2. This too shall pass
3. Paper don't crash
4. Chaos spills
5. Confuse them with directness
6. Lead by curiosity
madd0c0t0r2
Padawan Learner

Re: words to live by

Post by madd0c0t0r2 »

trying out chatgpt:
Here are five maxims that might be espoused by happy hippies:

"Love is all you need." This maxim emphasizes the importance of love and compassion in creating a happy and harmonious life.

"Live and let live." This maxim encourages respect for the choices and lifestyles of others, and advocates for a more live-and-let-live approach to life.

"One love, one heart." This maxim promotes unity and togetherness, and suggests that we are all connected by a shared love and humanity.

"Peace, love, and happiness." This maxim captures the core values of many hippies, and expresses a desire for peace, love, and happiness in the world.

"Don't worry, be happy." This maxim encourages a laid-back, stress-free attitude and encourages people to let go of worry and embrace happiness.
Here are five maxims that might be espoused by punks:

"Do it yourself." This maxim emphasizes the importance of self-sufficiency and independence, and encourages people to take control of their lives and create their own path.

"Question authority." This maxim encourages critical thinking and challenges traditional power structures and authority figures.

"Rebel against the norm." This maxim promotes nonconformity and encourages people to resist mainstream cultural norms and expectations.

"Stand up for what you believe in." This maxim encourages people to be true to their beliefs and values, even if it means standing up to others or going against the crowd.

"Don't sell out." This maxim encourages people to stay true to their roots and not compromise their values or beliefs for personal gain or popularity.
Here are seven maxims that might be espoused by solarpunks:

"Sustainability is key." This maxim emphasizes the importance of living in harmony with the natural world and using resources wisely.

"Innovation is essential." This maxim encourages the development and implementation of new technologies and systems that are more sustainable and equitable.

"Diversity is strength." This maxim promotes inclusivity and diversity in all aspects of life, and suggests that a variety of perspectives and experiences can lead to greater progress and understanding.

"Community is vital." This maxim emphasizes the importance of strong and supportive communities, and suggests that working together can help us achieve our goals and create a better world.

"Justice for all." This maxim advocates for fairness and equality, and calls for an end to systemic injustices and discrimination.

"Respect for the planet." This maxim encourages care and consideration for the natural world and all living things.

"Hope for the future." This maxim expresses optimism and belief in a better tomorrow, and encourages people to work towards creating a more positive and sustainable future.
Here are seven general rules that can be followed in the design of infrastructure:

Plan for long-term use: Infrastructure projects are often expensive and time-consuming, so it is important to consider the long-term needs and goals of a community when designing infrastructure.

Consider the environment: Infrastructure should be designed in a way that minimizes negative impacts on the environment and natural resources.

Ensure safety: Infrastructure should be designed with safety in mind, with measures in place to prevent accidents and protect the public.

Be efficient: Infrastructure should be designed to be as efficient as possible, minimizing waste and maximizing the use of resources.

Use durable materials: Infrastructure should be built with durable materials that can withstand the elements and the wear and tear of use.

Allow for flexibility: Infrastructure should be designed in a way that allows for flexibility and adaptability to changing needs and circumstances.

Coordinate with other systems: Infrastructure should be designed in a way that integrates with and supports other systems and networks, such as transportation and utilities.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Gamer Words to live by:
"Rip and Tear, until it is done"
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Solauren wrote: 2022-12-19 11:57am Gamer Words to live by:
"Rip and Tear, until it is done"
Nice :D

I always opted for "don't start it, finish it."

Or, the NSFW comment from a colleague: "The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

"If you have to talk yourself into it, its not worth buying".

--an anonymous person I overheard while shopping for gifts.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

A leader can't lead until he knows where he's going.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

'LIVE FATS, DIE YO GNU'!
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

From my mother:
"There's always something to take the joy outta living."
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

From my old man:

"Measure twice, cut once"

"Always check the electricity with a mains tester screwdriver even if you are completely positive you switched off the right circuit"
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Usually shortened to: "Always have a plan B" I would like to think it's more nuanced such as "Always be prepared to go to Plan B" or "Be prepared for plan A to not work".

Stems from having a military parent who would often quote the "No plan survives first contact with the enemy".
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

When it comes to planning for me it's "hope for the best, expect the worst" in sense of sure hope things go as planned but be prepared for if things go wrong as it's rare for things to go exactly as planned.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

"There is always a choice.." maybe not a good one, but there is one.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

"Nothing is ever as good or as bad as it first appears."
Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

Anything done by any other human no matter how monstrous could have been done by any other human including me given the right set of circumstances
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

“There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.”
-- T Pratchett.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Paraphrased local saying: "There's no cure for being stupid, but keeping quiet goes a long way"
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Since you mentioned the 70 maxims, I try to remember:

"Failure is not an option. Failure is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do."

But when it comes to electricity: "I don't care if it's switched off at the wall. Unplug it."
--Me
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not weakness, that is life.”

― Jean-Luc Picard
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Chuck Norris's tears cure cancer. Too bad he's never cried.