Lego ball shooter

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Lego ball shooter

Post by wautd »

Too awesome for testing and engineering is applied science so hopefully it's OK to post it here

Link

I :luv: the sounds of those bouncing balls
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Re: Lego ball shooter

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Seriously cool. Rather hypnotic actually.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

The alternating stair-stepping contraption to lift balls up is ingenious. I wonder what happens to balls that go into the hole in the plinko board? The grabber claw at the beginning and the end is probably the coolest thing though. However, I am infuriated that he dumps all the balls into the same bin after they are sorted by type!

I wonder what the loss rate is like?
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Coalition
Jedi Master

Post by Coalition »

Hawkwings wrote:The alternating stair-stepping contraption to lift balls up is ingenious. I wonder what happens to balls that go into the hole in the plinko board? The grabber claw at the beginning and the end is probably the coolest thing though. However, I am infuriated that he dumps all the balls into the same bin after they are sorted by type!
The plinko board entrance looks like it exits to the two smaller holes to the lower left and right. 5:10-5:20 are the times to look for.
Garlak
Youngling

Post by Garlak »

This is very neat and cool and awesome, and thanks for sharing this!

But, uh.. why call it a "shooter"? It's more of a lego-ball moving rube goldberg contraption?
I went to the librarian and asked for a book about stars ... And the answer was stunning. It was that the Sun was a star but really close. The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
~Carl Sagan
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

That is quite impressive.

It does seem to be a rather lossy system, though - there were quite a few places where I could see or hear balls falling out. I wonder if the designer's still making tweaks to try to keep it more efficient?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

It looks like a a bunch of GBCs at a convention.

For more info http://greatballcontraption.com/
andrewgpaul
Jedi Council Member

Post by andrewgpaul »

Molyneux wrote:That is quite impressive.

It does seem to be a rather lossy system, though - there were quite a few places where I could see or hear balls falling out. I wonder if the designer's still making tweaks to try to keep it more efficient?
I was wondering that myself - I wonder how long it can run before it runs out of balls? There's a few timing issues too - at one point, a scoop comes down and away again just before a new batch of balls arrives.

Which raises another question - a lot of the processes are 'batched' - the scoop at the beginning, for one. If you were to seed the entire system evenly with balls, how quickly would it settle into is 'periodic' operation?

I'd like to see a zoomed out picture of the whole contraption, too.
"So you want to live on a planet?"
"No. I think I'd find it a bit small and wierd."
"Aren't they dangerous? Don't they get hit by stuff?"