Logic and Illogic

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Do we need Illogic, as well as Logic ?

Yes
27%
No
73%

Total votes: 11

Kolinar Romanov
Youngling

Logic and Illogic

Post by Kolinar Romanov »

I hope I don't turn into a vilage idiot for this, but, I had a theory that I want to share.

To begin with, logic has been used in this site to dneounce creationism and pseudosciene. Now, that's fine by me: I myself don't believe half of that stuff by those people that claim that evolution is impossible, or some of those od trekkie claims.

However, I also believe that we need a bit of illogic in our lives. Illogic need not necessarily be only for entertainment, or should be restricted to creationsim: it has also helped us developed and innovate.

Illogical men built rockets. An illogical man invented the radio. Many sicentists are idealists, and most idealisms are illogical notions. People, using their illogic, came up with weird ideas, and made it logical. SOme failed, but some succeded, and modern succes owes to them. We wouldn't have some ideas had it not be for illogical goofballs.

So my theory is this: in order to find some new laws of this Universe, and Science, and to understand th9ings better, we need Illogic just as well as Illogic.

That's my theory, comardes.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Illogical men built rockets. An illogical man invented the radio. Many sicentists are idealists, and most idealisms are illogical notions. People, using their illogic, came up with weird ideas, and made it logical. SOme failed, but some succeded, and modern succes owes to them. We wouldn't have some ideas had it not be for illogical goofballs.
Your Theory is Illogical if you where to use further ill-logic such as Circular Reasoning it could be said your Theory is self proofing
By idiots of course :P

Logical Men Built Rockets, A Crazy(Not illogical) man invented the First Radio

Logic is only Logic after all if its true

Thus Logicaly your Theory is Self-Deafeating
And Thus Ill-logicaly your Theory is Self-Proving

*Poof

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

You lost me, Bean.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Exactly :twisted:

His theory is both self-defeating and self-proving

If Logicly all Logical things eventualy started out as somthing illogical(Rockets, radios where his examples) then logicly that which is illogical is logical however being its a theory and relies on logic this runs countrary to the stated idea

Thus his theory proves and disproves itself at the same time

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Kolinar Romanov
Youngling

Post by Kolinar Romanov »

Mr Bean wrote:Exactly :twisted:

His theory is both self-defeating and self-proving

If Logicly all Logical things eventualy started out as somthing illogical(Rockets, radios where his examples) then logicly that which is illogical is logical however being its a theory and relies on logic this runs countrary to the stated idea

Thus his theory proves and disproves itself at the same time
Bravo Bean ! You've seen my point: tis' a hard question, even for us commies ! Whiel we lopve logic, our scientists are so illogical, with their nonsense !
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Post by IDMR »

Look up the definition of Logic, preferably in a mathematics text book.

You will find that a lot of things you think are 'illogical' are not so, and vise versa.

Oh, and Bean, try putting that in equation form.
"Intellectual rigor annoys people because it interferes with the pleasure they derive from allowing their wishes to be the fathers of their thoughts." - George F. Will

"If theory and reality diverges, change reality." - Josef Stalin
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Certiantly
If Illogic + time = Logic
Then
Logic - time= Illogic
But If

Logic =True
Illogic=False
Then..
Anything + Time=True