Education without college

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Education without college

Post by Enforcer Talen »

So, I'm not in college at the moment, but I wish to continue my education. I have the internet and a laptop, so I figure I can do at least a bit of research on my own. I'm interested in all topics, but as I only have an associates degree in lib-arts, I'm really starting at square one. My question to you is, what websites are good for learning when I have half an hour or an hour by myself? I started with the cracked.com articles, just to get my feet wet, and I'm now working my way through the TED archives. What other websites are good for self learning?
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Re: Education without college

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Some universities put lectures up on youtube actually.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

From memory, some universities offer their course materials (lecture notes, recordings, etc) online for free. I believe Stanford does this for several courses.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

This might sound like a dumb question, but what do you want to learn? General education is fine, but you'll probably want to focus on something in particular. Once you find that something, you'll want to do more than just watch videos or read text about it if you really want to learn that material.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Enforcer Talen wrote:So, I'm not in college at the moment, but I wish to continue my education. I have the internet and a laptop, so I figure I can do at least a bit of research on my own. I'm interested in all topics, but as I only have an associates degree in lib-arts, I'm really starting at square one. My question to you is, what websites are good for learning when I have half an hour or an hour by myself? I started with the cracked.com articles, just to get my feet wet, and I'm now working my way through the TED archives. What other websites are good for self learning?
I agree SCRawl - what do you want to learn? If you want to learn everything - where do you want to start?

While the internet is a wonderful thing DON'T neglect your old fashioned library. If you local library doesn't have a particular book then ask about an inter-library loan. Back when I was studying obscure areas of aviation I borrowed some books via inter-library loan - I asked for them by title and author. When they arrived it turned out they had been sent from the National Air and Space Museum, part of the Smithsonian. To my local library branch. For free. It's a wonderful resource, make use of it.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Anthropology, memetics, psychology, philosophy. Mostly the human condition, but I enjoy almost anything. Itd be nice to learn calculus or linux, for example.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

I also find Stuarts/Wongs/Duchess' posts fascinating, although I have no background in it. Engineering, systems analysis, etc.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Pick a topic. "Assign" it to yourself. Work on it for 3-4 months, then move to another one. But since this is self-study you can be flexible about such things.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Some universities put lectures up on youtube actually.
Some don't put them up on youtube per se, but there's another site that allows you to access side-by-side video recordings of lectures along with mostly real-time slides of the lecture notes that one of my profs uses for his early-morning class. Guess who hasn't been seen in person at that lecture since the first one? :P
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Enforcer Talen wrote:It'd be nice to learn [...] linux, for example.
Best way to start learning Linux would be to install it and use it. Ubuntu is a very good place to start.

After that, it's a broad topic. Like others have asked, what do you want to learn? Desktop system administration? Server administration? Security? Programming? Packaging? Etc etc.

I'm not trying to scare you off -- it really can be fun and easy. But saying you want to "learn Linux" is kind of like saying you want to "learn about computers". What did you want to learn?
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Quite a lot of universities have been putting up lectures for free on iTunes as well.
http://open.edu/itunes/
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Don't neglect your local community college as well. I largely did the general education part of my college out of pocket because community colleges are really cheap and will generally give you a good start in figuring yourself out. If you find yourself with free time, you can always take some classes in any of the subjects you mentioned.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Teebs
Jedi Master

Post by Teebs »

Does the US have an equivalent to the UK's Open University? It's a perfectly respectable university that works mainly through distance learning and is aimed at adults who aren't able to take on a full time university degree.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Try OpenCourseware - several universities put up extensive course material on a wide variety of topics. Some may also include lecture videos, assignments and exams.
Teebs wrote:Does the US have an equivalent to the UK's Open University? It's a perfectly respectable university that works mainly through distance learning and is aimed at adults who aren't able to take on a full time university degree.
Many universities and colleges ofter distance learning programs.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Khan Academy.

Total lifesaver for me when doing my Games Physics assignments. The course had no maths or physics prerequisites... but they forgot to tell the professor who was planning the course content that.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Maj
Youngling

Post by Maj »

A note on library use: If you feel obligated to be online, ask whether or not your library make eBooks available for checkout. There's some really great stuff out there.

When it comes to personal education, though, I would choose a goal when it comes to subject matter. Even if the goal is posting a thread here where you write down the most interesting things you learn each day/week/chapter/essay/etm, doing something that puts what you learn to some sort of use helps solidify those neural firings and makes the info stick.

:)
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Thank you everyone, this thread has been tremendously helpful. Ive worked my way through some philosophy classes, and have added a ton of links from here.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Maj wrote: Even if the goal is posting a thread here where you write down the most interesting things you learn each day/week/chapter/essay/etm, doing something that puts what you learn to some sort of use helps solidify those neural firings and makes the info stick.

:)

I'd second this, project logs (be it building a boat, painting a space marine, exploring a concept or learning to cook) are a very good way to stay motivated.

Just knowing that there are a few people watching what you're doing helps keep you on track. Writing out a couple of A4 pages a week will help it stick for you, and also provides a nice little resource for the next person who's looking at that subject.

I'd refer you to mine, but that's just shameless.

More links: http://www.theschooloflife.com/
and I'm very surprised nobody has mentioned Wikipedia yet.

Especially for the non-controversial subjects (maths) it can be a brilliant primer, and leads on to many more interesting places.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee