Saturn's Biggest Ring

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Saturn's Biggest Ring

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

From CNN:
(CNN) -- Scientists at NASA have discovered a nearly invisible ring around Saturn -- one so large that it would take 1 billion Earths to fill it.
NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has spotted a massive, nearly invisible ring around Saturn.

NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has spotted a massive, nearly invisible ring around Saturn.

The ring's orbit is tilted 27 degrees from the planet's main ring plane. The bulk of it starts about 3.7 million miles (6 million km) away from the planet and extends outward another 7.4 million miles (12 million km).

Its diameter is equivalent to 300 Saturns lined up side to side. And its entire volume can hold one billion Earths, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory said late Tuesday.

"This is one supersized ring," said Anne Verbiscer, an astronomer at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville.

Verbiscer and two others are authors of a paper about the discovery published Wednesday in the journal Nature.

The obvious question: Why did it take scientists so long to discover something so massive?

The ring is made up of ice and dust particles that are so far apart that "if you were to stand in the ring, you wouldn't even know it," Verbiscer said in a statement.

Also, Saturn doesn't receive a lot of sunlight, and the rings don't reflect much visible light.

But the cool dust -- about 80 Kelvin (minus 316 degrees Fahrenheit) -- glows with thermal radiation. NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope, used to spot the ring, picked up on the heat.

One of Saturn's moons, Phoebe, orbits within the ring. As Phoebe collides with comets, it kicks up planetary dust. Scientists believe the ice and dust particles that make up the ring stems from those collisions.

The ring may also help explain an age-old mystery surrounding another of Saturn's moons: Iapetus.

Astronomer Giovanni Cassini, who first spotted Iapetus in 1671, deduced the moon has a white and dark side -- akin to a yin-yang symbol. But scientists did not know why.

The new ring orbits in the opposite direction to Iapetus. And, say researchers, it's possible that the moon's dark coloring is a result of the ring's dust particles splattering against Iapetus like bugs on a windshield.

"Astronomers have long suspected that there is a connection between Saturn's outer moon Phoebe and the dark material on Iapetus," said Douglas Hamilton of the University of Maryland in College Park -- one of the three authors reporting on the findings in the journal Nature.

"This new ring provided convincing evidence of that relationship."
Isn't science awesome? :D
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Re: Saturn's Biggest Ring

Post by Themightytom »

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

^ Holy shit. :shock:

It is pretty damn amazing that something so huge could be hidden from view for so damn long. I'm probably oversimplifying, but the thing was right there in plain sight and we didn't even know until now.
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

N.B.: the image is an artist's visualization, not actual Spitzer images.
Darth Ruinus wrote:I'm probably oversimplifying, but the thing was right there in plain sight and we didn't even know until now.
Well, it's not actually in plain sight at all; it's only in the infrared. It took staring at it with the most state-of-the-art space-based infrared telescope to see.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

Well, it's not actually in plain sight at all; it's only in the infrared. It took staring at it with the most state-of-the-art space-based infrared telescope to see.
Which is why I said I was oversimplifying.
What I mean was, how hard was it to actually see? We've had infrared telescopes for a while now haven't we, so why haven't we noticed it before?
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

I wonder just how much dust and ice that is, rather than the rough predictions we have now.

Quick, someone build a space broom and dustpan so we can tidy it up and find out!
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Darth Ruinus wrote:
Which is why I said I was oversimplifying.
What I mean was, how hard was it to actually see? We've had infrared telescopes for a while now haven't we, so why haven't we noticed it before?
I would assume the "state of the art" nature of the new infrared scopes lets them pick up tiny particles that are far apart whereas the older ones didn't?

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

Themightytom wrote:I would assume the "state of the art" nature of the new infrared scopes lets them pick up tiny particles that are far apart whereas the older ones didn't?
Correct. More precisely, Spitzer is far more sensitive, and has far more resolution, than the previous generation of IR telescopes. These qualities are what enabled it to pick out the ring, along with much improved noise reduction algorithms. Previously, even if the instrument detected some of the ring particles, they likely would have been lost in the detector's noise.

Just to give some perspective on this, Saturn's rings were discovered in the 1600's. Uranus's ring system, the next to be discovered, wasn't seen until 1977, and that was purely by accident (they would almost certainly have been noticed in 1986 when Voyager 2 flew by, but you get the point). Jupiter's rings were discovered by Voyager 1 in 1979, while Neptune's system was imaged by Voyager 2 in 1989. Even Jupiter's gossamer ring, which you also wouldn't even know you were in, is far denser than this new one around Saturn.
Prannon
Jedi Knight

Post by Prannon »

I recall reading that all of the dust and grime in that ring, if gathered together and placed on the moon from which it allegedly originates, would not be able to fill a single crater. I don't have the article to link at the moment, so take that for what it's worth. However, it goes without saying that this ring is extremely diffused. It probably has barely a greater density than normal vacuum.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Have they checked the other gas giants for this type of super-ring? Might it be a common feature of large planets?
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

It's probably the fact that they are close to the Oort belt etc. etc. along with the Asteroid belt, and also the fact that they are fairly massive, which will lead to the creation of such ring structures.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Akkleptos
Jedi Knight

Post by Akkleptos »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:It's probably the fact that they are close to the Oort belt etc. etc. along with the Asteroid belt, and also the fact that they are fairly massive, which will lead to the creation of such ring structures.
So, anything as massive as a gas giant would pick up -and capture in its orbit- similar amounts of particles and space debris whenever an Oort cloud-like object is present near the system? If so, we might be talking about a pretty much standard characteristic of gas giants, just one that is sometimes nearly invisible at a distance without the help of sophisticated IR scanning due to its low density. If not, it's nevertheless a quite interesting find!
Life in Commodore 64:
10 OPEN "EYES",1,1
20 GET UP$:IF UP$="" THEN 20
30 GOTO BATHROOM
GENERATION 29
Don't like what I'm saying?
Take it up with my representative:
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Akkleptos wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:It's probably the fact that they are close to the Oort belt etc. etc. along with the Asteroid belt, and also the fact that they are fairly massive, which will lead to the creation of such ring structures.
So, anything as massive as a gas giant would pick up -and capture in its orbit- similar amounts of particles and space debris whenever an Oort cloud-like object is present near the system? If so, we might be talking about a pretty much standard characteristic of gas giants, just one that is sometimes nearly invisible at a distance without the help of sophisticated IR scanning due to its low density. If not, it's nevertheless a quite interesting find!
I suspect the reason why IR scanning shows up new details is because the density is too low for it to be seen with the naked eye and we needed to see the sun's light bouncing off them to see it.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia