TV station fined for mocking Vatican

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

wautd
Emperor's Hand

TV station fined for mocking Vatican

Post by wautd »

Slovak TV station fined for mocking Vatican driving advice

Slovakia's broadcasting regulator Tuesday slapped a two-million-koruna (60,000 euros, 88,400 dollars) fine on a private TV company for mocking the Vatican, a report said.

The broadcasting council said a programme screened by commercial station Joj's last year, which mocked Vatican instructions on applying the concept of Christian love to driving, abused viewers' religious sensibilities and was not objective, the CTK agency reported.

Priests were "not the best experts" to give guidance on driving since the Vatican possessed "only two kilometres of highway and the last traffic accident was more than half a year ago," the programme mocked.

Slovakia, in central Europe, is strongly religious, with around two-thirds of the population describing themselves as Catholics.

Welcome to the european union :banghead:
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

alexholker
Youngling

Post by alexholker »

Is it too late to kick them back out?
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Since Poland can get away with even worse shit, I rather doubt that
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I also find it ironic that Slovenia actually voted against this UN resolution about critisizing religion. But I guess that was about Islam in particular :roll:
Netko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Netko »

Ah! The eternal Slovenia-Slovakia mix up continues! :wink:

Anyway, not much to say about this. It is, of course, stupid, but then again its really understandable. First off, you get stupid decisions like this everywhere, and secondly ex-communist countries in general have problems with understanding of certain democratic norms do to their relatively recent introduction. So it doesn't surprise me one bit to find some buerocrat or a commision constructing a well meaning but obviously stupid and probably unconstitutional (depends a bit on the specifics) decision.

Although, comments like "Welcome to the EU", or "Is it to late to kick them back out?" are very much childish, acting like this sort of stupid decision could not happen in a Western European country or another "Western" country.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I think the attitude is more 'aww man, we've got enough retards already, do we need to import more?' than 'Eww, retards, we don't have any of those, and don't want any either!'
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Makes me so fucking glad I don't live in Europe.
For any board members living over there, you have my condolences, and I dearly hope the continent comes to its senses within the next few years.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Molyneux wrote:Makes me so fucking glad I don't live in Europe.
For any board members living over there, you have my condolences, and I dearly hope the continent comes to its senses within the next few years.
Since when has Slovakia been representative of the entire continent?
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I have to say that's quite the ironic statement for from someone from the US, where slightly more important things being influenced by religion are disturbing when heard about over here. :)
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Dartzap wrote:
I have to say that's quite the ironic statement for from someone from the US, where slightly more important things being influenced by religion are disturbing when heard about over here. :)
Well, I'm in New York. The rot hasn't spread here yet. Plus, I can flee to Canada if it ever seriously goes down the pipes...
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Makes me so fucking glad I don't live in Europe.
Well, much of the EU seemed to shoot down an emphasis on so-called Christian values being enshrined in Union rules and regulations, which was pushed by Germany's Chancellor. And we have more states with equal rights for gays than you do.

That's 2:0 so far. :P
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Molyneux wrote:Well, I'm in New York. The rot hasn't spread here yet. Plus, I can flee to Canada if it ever seriously goes down the pipes...
*blinks at the sheer stupidity of that statement*

*sidles up to Molyneux*

*coughcoughGulianicoughcough*
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Oni Koneko Damien wrote:
Molyneux wrote:Well, I'm in New York. The rot hasn't spread here yet. Plus, I can flee to Canada if it ever seriously goes down the pipes...
*blinks at the sheer stupidity of that statement*

*sidles up to Molyneux*

Hey, he didn't seem that crazy when he was in office, okay?
...ah, hell, even I don't believe that. I live out on Long Island. This is not a place for big social issues, and anyhow I was being more than a little facetious in my initial post, and this is getting off topic so just let it lie.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

True, true, it's horrible here with all the overt pandering to religion. Also, I should probably stop wearing my trusty lederhosen and beret while making cuckoo clocks with one hand and eating borscht with the other; that kind of activity is just too dangerous what with the civil wars going on. That's what it's like for people living in Europe, you know. Every one of us.

In case you have difficulties registering sarcasm, I'm mocking your ignorant statements to a far milder degree than they deserve.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Source please. I do not believe this at all.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Zixinus wrote:Source please. I do not believe this at all.
I've had a look, but most, if not all the Google hits are similar, or exactly the same as the text in the OP.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Post by B5B7 »

Just because a nation is a member of the EU doesn't mean that every little thing they do can be laid at the door of the EU.
The EU is not a dictatorship, the member countries are still independent nations in most respects. This would happen whether Slovakia was or was not in the EU.

If the story is true the fault lies with a government organization bowing to the Catholic church [& to be fair this could be another case of where an individual in a government agency has made a personal decision that some group might find something offensive when they (the group) probably don't care - like some things in Britain in relation to Muslims].

Incidentally, in Australia the equivalent to this Slovakia broadcasting council (& also the board of the supposed to be independent ABC) was heavily stacked by the previous Howard government with right-wing retards [note: they weren't retards simply because they had right-wing views; they were actual retards in their total philosophy].
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

I wonder what they would do to someone like Howard Stern over there...
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

The reason I doubt this is because I heard more insulting jokes thrown on saturday comedy night (at least I think it was saturday, I don't watch TV anymore) and no news of them getting sued for this.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

BTW, do I correctly understand that this the lawsuit/suing/whatever was done in-country? In that case, we are talking about a fucked-up country following its own fucked-up laws. The EU ,from what little I understand, is there make economic unity of Europe, not to prevent its fucking itself.
Credo!
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Modification: I meant that the EU is there to make economic unity, making sure that each country's "cultural values" and various depths of stupidity untouched by it.
Credo!
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Given that Giuliani is so socially liberal he appeared in a video where he crossdressed and was felt up by Donald Trump, your statement makes little sense.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.