Orphans

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Orphans

Post by Sam Or I »

I did not really know where to put this, so I am guessing the under the science catagory under psychology.

Why do people find orphans so intresting? Almost all "mythical" heros are orphans. Luke Skywalker, to Superman, to Moses. Is it the mystery behind it? Just something I have noticed and curious about.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Its the path to greatness in a way
:D

Ergo, The great ones don't know where they come from, or think they do but find out they don't so they are free to grow beyond the normal and become somthing great

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Can someone say OTF please?
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

It would be good to move this, but as is:

I don't really like it. It is one thing if the hero's parents don't coe into the story much, but I like the thought of them being people with family obligation, etc.

And it is very, very funny to see Bruce WIllius in "The 5th Element" have to talk to his Ma! :)
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Orphans are frequently used as heroes in literature and movies because they do not have any fixed pasts that they need to deal with, so a writer may concentrate more fully on their deeds. That way, they must become "self made" while they are heroes. They need to make names for themselves. It is actually interesting, much of the time, to actually talk about with how characters deal with their families or with their origins. Sometimes these can be VERY interesting (Luke after finding out that Vader was his father, etc.) In a book that I am writing now, one character had a father who was a great hero in and of himself--a flawed hero, but still one that was revered by almost all who knew him. Much of the book deals with her trying to make an identity for herself, and trying to make people see past her father when they see her. Either approach can lead to very interesting stories, and it really boils down to a matter of taste.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

course, the characters I write about generally kill their parents, which does tend to make orphans. .

path to greatness on the villian trail. .
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna